Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM

14 posts, read 13,558 times

Advertisements

It makes no sense to me, given the erroneous label. An African-American is an immigrant from Africa. Charlize Theron is White and an African-American.

The worst is when I read a news story like this:

"The two suspects were described by the victim as a White man, aged 20 and an African-American male of 23." The implication is that White is alright and Black needs to step back.

Black is beautiful. Embrace your Blackness.

Last edited by high-fruit vegan; 08-31-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 02:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
For the same reason that white-mutt Americans describe themselves as "German" or "Scottish" or "Italian" despite never having been to those countries or knowing anything much about them (and yes I know Africa is a continent, not a country), because it gives a sense of history or belonging?

Also, African American is a PC term used by some outlets, even though it's not necessarily correct. Just as all white people in the US are not necessarily "European Americans."

Also, IMO, black isn't inherently beautiful, just as white, yellow or brown isn't inherently beautiful. Or ugly for that matter. We are more than the color of our skin; we are the content of our character, are we not?

Also there is a thread in another forum here that might interest you:

What's "African" About Black-Americans?

Old 08-31-2013, 02:30 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
I agree with the OP. I stopped trying to keep up with what Negroes want to be called. I call 'em 'black' and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
For the same reason that white-mutt Americans describe themselves as "German" or "Scottish" or "Italian" despite never having been to those countries or knowing anything much about them (and yes I know Africa is a continent, not a country), because it gives a sense of history or belonging?
Your hallucinating. I've never, ever heard such a thing. My ancestors are Swiss and German. Nobody in my huge family has ever called themselves anything but American, nor have I ever heard anyone do so.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Also, African American is a PC term used by some outlets, even though it's not necessarily correct. Just as all white people in the US are not necessarily "European Americans."

Also, IMO, black isn't inherently beautiful, just as white, yellow or brown isn't inherently beautiful. Or ugly for that matter. We are more than the color of our skin; we are the content of our character, are we not?

Also there is a thread in another forum here that might interest you:

What's "African" About Black-Americans?
Thank you. I am not sure this is the appropriate place for this thread but given that there seems to be no forum for racial issues and they won't let me post in Great Debates (newbie?), then this will have to do.

I was prompted to post this because I was reading another thread on here where the OP said that he encountered a rude woman and mentioned that she was "African-American." He said that it didn't mean anything but he just wanted to give us an image of the scene.

When Whites seems racist and say "African-American," it's as if hiding behind political correctness to be racist. Same thing happens with Black people who seem hostile to Whites and call them "Caucasians" or "Europeans." It always leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and I don't even identify as White!).

Old 08-31-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I agree with the OP. I stopped trying to keep up with what Negroes want to be called. I call 'em 'black' and be done with it.

Your hallucinating. I've never, ever heard such a thing. My ancestors are Swiss and German. Nobody in my huge family has ever called themselves anything but American, nor have I ever heard anyone do so.
I'm not hallucinating at all, but perhaps my experience is simply different to yours. I assume you grew up in the US.

I was born in the US but my parents moved before I was two. I lived all over the world, growing up. When I came back here as an adult with a heavy Scottish accent I was amused for years by all the people who gleefully proclaimed that "I'm Scottish too!"

As an ex-pat-turned-native, I found this extremely weird. But I assure you it absolutely does happen, and frequently.

As far as black people go, well, I don't typically refer to people by their race or color. But I agree with you there, if skin color or ethnicity is somehow relevant, I will say "black" rather than "African American." That is pretty unambiguous. I have known white people from Africa who have work visas here, but calling them "African American" might be technically correct but would certainly be a misleading term.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

Um...I wouldn't call BP negroes on Madison and Pulaski in Chicago. You might find the reception rather chilly

The problem with the term 'negro' is that it was used before and during the Civil Rights era and I find it a rather problematic term because it has come to be synonomous with an Uncle Tom. The fact that you are referring to BP in that way makes me wonder how you really feel about them. You do realize that BP are not a monolith and not all of them wish to keep changing these terms to describe themselves, right?

The reason that we should use BLACK instead of AA is that if we need to use a physical descriptor (for instance, in a crime report or when pointing someone out to someone else in a crowd), it's more accurate than AA, which again may include WP.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
If a black person is born in America then they are just an American,
they are not African in any way.

If any person is born in America then they are just American,
they are not anything else ... in any way.

To be President of The United States you have to be born in American,
and is makes no difference what collor you are, or where you
family tree history comes from or how smart you are ! ! !

Last edited by bumpus7; 08-31-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 03:25 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,259 times
Americans are of every collor, shap, and size.

Last edited by bumpus7; 08-31-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 03:30 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Um, we don't... Just call us black. It's all good, I swear!

Quote:
Oh, I've noticed white Americans claim themselves to be several different nationalities when it's just really their ancestors. My maternal great-grandmother is Indian, but I've never mentioned it (unless doing some sort of family ancestry project).

Old 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high-fruit vegan View Post
Um...I wouldn't call BP negroes on Madison and Pulaski in Chicago. You might find the reception rather chilly

The problem with the term 'negro' is that it was used before and during the Civil Rights era and I find it a rather problematic term because it has come to be synonomous with an Uncle Tom. The fact that you are referring to BP in that way makes me wonder how you really feel about them. You do realize that BP are not a monolith and not all of them wish to keep changing these terms to describe themselves, right?

The reason that we should use BLACK instead of AA is that if we need to use a physical descriptor (for instance, in a crime report or when pointing someone out to someone else in a crowd), it's more accurate than AA, which again may include WP.
I agree completely.

Terms such as "negro" or "colored" carry too much negative weight, and are akin to referring to automobiles as horseless carriages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies