Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Do you have a reliable link to support this?
See here:

What were some strengths of Russia in World War 2

"As an example of the type of combat the Soviets used, they equipped companies and even battalions as assault units, armed only with the Shpagan submachine gun (PPSh-41). These units (some all women) were to make frontal assaults on Whermacht positions with each man or woman firing his or her 71 round magazine on the run."

Battle of Stalingrad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Many women fought on the Soviet side, or were under fire. As General Chuikov acknowledged, "Remembering the defence of Stalingrad, I can't overlook the very important question... about the role of women in war, in the rear, but also at the front. Equally with men they bore all the burdens of combat life and together with us men, they went all the way to Berlin."[70] At the beginning of the battle there were 75,000 women and girls from the Stalingrad area who had finished military or medical training, and all of whom were to serve in the battle.[71] Women staffed a great many of the anti-aircraft batteries that fought not only the Luftwaffe but German tanks.[72] Soviet nurses not only treated wounded men under fire but were involved in the highly dangerous work of bringing wounded soldiers back to the hospitals under enemy fire.[73] Many of the Soviet wireless and telephone operators were women who often suffered heavy casualties when their command posts came under fire.[74] Though women were not usually trained as infantry, many Soviet women fought as machine gunners, mortar operators, and scouts.[75] Women were also snipers at Stalingrad.[76] Three air regiments at Stalingrad were entirely female.[75] At least three women won the title Hero of the Soviet Union while driving tanks at Stalingrad.[77]"

See also, for Russian women in combat:

Night Witches: The Female Fighter Pilots of World War II - Megan Garber - The Atlantic

HEROES: Russian Women Snipers of WWII [Archive] - Militaryfirearm

Manshuk Mametova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
?

I mean seriously.. Let's be honest. Do you honestly think that most women cant pass the physical testing (same as the men) carry around 70 plus pounds, stay out on missions for several days, handle a massive assault rifle etc... What is the benefit of having females serve in combat roles when A) most wont be able to handle it anyways and B) it will inevitably cause a disturbance within the unit?

Wars have been fought for thousands of years without females.. Let me ask you. Do you honestly think that women who received the same training as men could have stormed the beaches of Normandy sucessfully against a wall of German/French/Czech/Italian men, tanks and artillery?

LOL. Buddy, you opened yourself up to all kinds of vitriol from the left. Good luck on this one.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Let us turn it around a bit. What is the desired spec for a fighter pilot?

Low weight...100lbs would be good.

High strength to size.

Low oxygen demand.

High G tolerance.

Fierce and mean.

So if they actually followed that spec how many combat fighter pilots would be male?

I also suspect women would be privileged at the underwater end of seals. If you start working out who can cover the most territory and do the most work on a specific level of air the girls will again win.

I had one daughter who would scuba dive a deep reef stay up with everyone else and finish with a half a tank when both dive masters were down to minimums.

So if we really went to the physical demands of the task the women would be few in the jobs requiring the ability to carry 100 lbs 20 miles. But they would likely dominate such things as fighter pilots and seals.
The nature of combat has changed dramatically in the last 50 years. When was the last time anyone was required to march 20 miles with a 100 pound pack, WW II? We have mechanized infantry today. Even a 10 mile hump with minimal gear is a rare thing today. Infantry use Humvees, 7.5 pound rifles, and MREs that are half the weight of C- and K-rats.

Even among men there are differences. In every platoon that I served, it was always the biggest and most muscular guys who carried the heavy weapons like the M60E1. If given a choice between a 180 pound 5' - 10" guy and a 230 pound 6' - 6" guy, who do you think would be able to carry a 35 pound weapon, in addition to all their other gear, easier?

Nevertheless, I absolutely agree that there needs to be one standard for everyone, men and women alike. Primarily for morale purposes. Nobody is going to have any respect for someone who had to meet lesser standards to do the same job. Those who cannot cut it, do not deserve to serve along side those who can meet those standards. It not only jeopardizes their lives, but the lives of those around them. That applies to both men and women.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times

Old 09-03-2013, 04:48 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Metric system? No, we can't!
Universal healthcare? No, we can't!
Same sex marriage? No, we can't!
Women in combat? No, we can't!
Sex ed in schools? No, we can't!
Metric system? No, we can't!

Try, no we won't.

Universal healthcare? No, we can't!

No,thank you. We don't want it.

Same sex marriage? No, we can't!

We don't want it.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 AM

313 posts, read 329,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It seems to me that the former Soviet Union proved that women can hold their own in battle.
Vietnam women fought against our soldiers.
Yes women can fight. The old adage don't get captured by the women comes to mind.
As someone pointed out a woman flying an Apache gunship can squeeze the trigger just as easily as a man flying the same machine.
Managing a human controlled machine is allot different from up close and personal combat. Also, just because some dictator decides to uses every human they can get their hands on to fight (women and children) doesn't mean they are effective fighters.

Anyone can take a thousand 12yr olds and create an army out of them then claim "OH! they can fight just like grown men.." LOL..NO...

Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,833 times
Why do liberals always think if a man doesnt support a woman doing something that they are automatically biased? Maybe some of us were raised to respect women in actuality, not in shallow agreements and slicked tongue words that we throw their way that mean nothing at the end of the day? Maybe we were raised to be gentle and kind around women, and the thought of women fighting in war and getting shot...and even worse getting captured by the enemy used as pawns and abused sexually repulses us. No it could never be that right? We are all just evil and have some secret agenda against women. You liberals are sick in the head!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM

313 posts, read 329,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
See here:

What were some strengths of Russia in World War 2

"As an example of the type of combat the Soviets used, they equipped companies and even battalions as assault units, armed only with the Shpagan submachine gun (PPSh-41). These units (some all women) were to make frontal assaults on Whermacht positions with each man or woman firing his or her 71 round magazine on the run."
Doesn't say much fighting a weakened thinned out German army. Desperate measures, might as well send the High School kids to war too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010;31248321

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad"
Battle of Stalingrad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

"Many women fought on the Soviet side, or were under fire. As General Chuikov acknowledged, "Remembering the defence of Stalingrad, I can't overlook the very important question... about the role of women in war, in the rear, but also at the front. Equally with men they bore all the burdens of combat life and together with us men, they went all the way to Berlin."[70] At the beginning of the battle there were 75,000 women and girls from the Stalingrad area who had finished military or medical training, and all of whom were to serve in the battle.[71] Women staffed a great many of the anti-aircraft batteries that fought not only the Luftwaffe but German tanks.[72] Soviet nurses not only treated wounded men under fire but were involved in the highly dangerous work of bringing wounded soldiers back to the hospitals under enemy fire.[73] Many of the Soviet wireless and telephone operators were women who often suffered heavy casualties when their command posts came under fire.[74] Though women were not usually trained as infantry, many Soviet women fought as machine gunners, mortar operators, and scouts.[75] Women were also snipers at Stalingrad.[76] Three air regiments at Stalingrad were entirely female.[75] At least three women won the title Hero of the Soviet Union while driving tanks at Stalingrad.[77]"

See also, for Russian women in combat:

Night Witches: The Female Fighter Pilots of World War II - Megan Garber - The Atlantic

HEROES: Russian Women Snipers of WWII [Archive] - Militaryfirearm

Manshuk Mametova - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So they can fly a plane...they can hide somewhere and shoot. Anyone can be trained to do these functions. It's how well they perform them is the key to success. Compare these women to the male snipers of Finland and you will see the difference in a country utilizing it's resources wisely.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:28 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
When I was in the military, 1974-1992, we had a problem called "Little sister syndrom".

My age group was taught manners differently then they are today. We were taught to never swear in front of a female, always open the door, put the women on a pedastal, treat them much different then a guy. This would cause trouble, say there are 5 guys in foxholes and one woman. Each person is assigned a sector to watch. The problem was you now had one woman watching her sector, and 5 guys dividing their time between their assigned sector, her sector, and her. Hence, you had 5 guys not doing their job, but instead, making sure the woman was protected. The woman wasn't important, the hill was important. But our whole life we were taught that you protect females like every one of them were your sister.

So the idea of women in combat was insane. But later generations aren't taught the same way. Everybody wants equality. Women today can open their own doors. Women today will cuss people out as well as a drunken sailor. It's a whole new generation. A whole new set of ideals.

I do think that women can operate in combat. Not every woman, but the majority can. Infantry training will weed out the ones that can't. The rest can do their job just as well as any man can. You no longer have women jumping on the counter and screaming because there is a spider on the floor. "Quick, somebody kill it". It's a whole new life out there.

Today, when a woman talks to me about "We demand equal pay, equal opportunity." I ask them, "Would you go into combat with me?" Some say, "That's different, absolutely not." Others say, "Damn right I would." The second group are the ones that enlist, knowing fully well that it's going to be tough.
I agree that the relationships between men and women are different today. But I am afraid that there is going to be women from that first group you mentioned, that should have no business in combat that are going to volunteer for combat to advance their career. If they get a couple of men killed who shouldn't have been killed, who is going to know? If someone speaks up will they be labeled "haters" and "bigots"?

If a Sgt washes out too many women will he be washed out himself?

We cannot afford this political correct agenda to infest our military. This is all about these women who want to remove some barrier they think exists for any reason other than they just can't do the job. Which is the truth.

No females in combat period. A simple rule. The military is great at following rules.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:35 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Firstly wood can be very deceiving depending on the species, secondly go take a cinder block and hold it over your head for while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies