Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How will congress vote
Clear No 23 22.33%
Close No 51 49.51%
Close Yes 18 17.48%
Clear yes 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
There's no side in this conflict that we should take up. It's bad vs bad. It's awful that Assad is using chem weapons, but the boys he's fighting are Islamist extremists, from all reports. Probably better in the long run for Assad to remain in place for the time being.

I expect a clear no vote.

But that's the logical course of action and this congress has been teabag city, so who knows?
i agree, too many in congress will try to vote their jobs in 2014, especially those in hotly contested seats. as indicated, a yes vote may seriously hurt someone chances at winning in 2014, where as a no vote wont help that much. and it can get wores for those who vote yes, and the syria issue goes badly after the vote.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
The only real reason I am hearing from some in Congress to vote yes is because we need to save America's credibility.
Give me a break-----we have enough nukes to flatten the planet, we don't need to bomb a few sites and kill some civilians to send a message. Let the Muslims fight their own wars, and if there is imminent danger to us, then we act. Most Americans would rather lose some face, than the consequences of getting involved in more Muslim mayhem.

Congress will make a huge political mistake if it votes yes.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
One can only hope that our elected reps vote will reflect the wishes of we the people.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:27 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Personally, I think that if Obama doesn't do anything it would mean he came to his senses, either by himself or with some help. This isn't a national popularity contest, but an international dilemma. This is not a time to be concerned with ego, but a time to think rationally.

There was a link on another thread about the UK issuing licenses and selling chemicals to un-named companies in Syria 10 months after the protests started. More than likely the request for the chemicals was for agricultural purposes, but that is what a front for either the Assad regime or something that the rebels set up.

Cameron is going to be called up on this. If it is indeed proven and true that the UK sold chemicals in Syria, will they be held responsible in any way??

This situation with Syria is so convoluted. The more I read the more questions I have. Clearly Assad had factories and was producing chemical weapons, and in Iraq there were factories established by terrorists to produce sarin and mustard gas which were going to be smuggled into other countries, including Syria. What a mess, what a very dangerous mess.
I like your thoughts here, but something about Obama strikes me as him always being concerned with ego.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:41 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think they will vote NO, the House I expect a 225-235 no votes. Obama never has to face implications of this war, while especially House members will be running for re-election with no finalized outcome, and in an unsure middle east, while 2/3rds of the Senate doesn't need to run until the dust would clear (hopefully)
I have no idea. However, I hope that they do not get us involved in another war, in which we have no regional support, no support from traditional allies, no designed objective, and no real threat to America.

Any congressman voting for intervention, given only 9% approval for an attack from US citizens, should probably be aware of his constituents views.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:42 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Things like this choice on responding to an attrocity in Syria are this generations Manchuria, Ethiopia, or Munich. Evil has to be confronted and comes in many forms. Like British and French in 1937-8 we don't want war and don't think things like this couldn't possibly set the world on fire. The easy way is to let wishful thinking rule the day and either just ignore this thing or wave some worthless piece of paper and declare we have peace in our time and that we can deal with such a reasonable man as Mr Hitler. If we are not careful we are on the path to our generation's own 1939. I don't see any difference between the 1429 Syrians who were murdered by their regime and the 2900 commerated in Lower Manhattan who we have impulsively killed 100,000s of thousands of innocent people to avenge. No monuments will be raised to Syria's dead and they will join the dust of that tormented land simply forgotten. I pitty poor Mr Cameron and our President who are shakled by an ignorant population who have forgotten our mid century trial by fire and what it stood for and may really ned to go through it again to learn their was a reason for the acres of grave sites in Normandy, the Phillipines, Hawaii and in National military cemetaries both large and small in every state.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
There's no side in this conflict that we should take up. It's bad vs bad. It's awful that Assad is using chem weapons, but the boys he's fighting are Islamist extremists, from all reports. Probably better in the long run for Assad to remain in place for the time being.

I expect a clear no vote.

But that's the logical course of action and this congress has been teabag city, so who knows?

Is he?
I think he knows better than this.
He doesn't desire to drag the US in on top of his troubles already I would certainly think.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
It'll be a close yes. You know how I know?

I was thinking about joining the military, so I was asking around, asking questions. There's a guy who just signed up who is being shipped to Syria in 6 months...(according to him)..

The decision has already been made by higher ups. Congress will vote how they're told to vote.

There's also an element of 'pulling the rug from underneath Obama'. If (and when) things get out of hand, he'll feel the pressure from the rest of the country. Republicans will, in a sense, give him the keys to a vehicle they know he won't be able to handle...and they'll be massively successful in the next election because of it.

Based on my intuition, I'm thinking the end result will be a war/military operation (however they want to characterize it...)

Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Most likely they will vote NO but do you think that will stop Obama?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
50/50. Many Dems will support the WH, and some will oppose, and many "R"s will oppose because they are the opposition, but many "R" will support it because they side with Israel and are against Iran. There will be some interesting debates, especially on the GOP side, because they were taken by surprise when Obama reached out to them like this.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-01-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies