Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,774,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nonsense.

If they made a really great product at a fair price people would be lining up. But liberal-hating conservatives who want to see conservative martyrs never consider the possibility that this bakery sold a bad product at high prices. Can't do that and pay the rent on a shop.

So the couple wanted a bad cake at a high price.....Maybe that's why they didn't simply go to another bakery!

Who are the martyrs here?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonker View Post
Reductio ad Hitlerum is a tired tactic and easily dismissed as an attempt at deflection. Please come back to reality.
Hey..the kids name is Adolf Hitler.
I'm not pulling Godwin's Law here.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"I will make your cake but do not tell anyone that we made it because I disagree with your lifestyle and I do not want associated with it".

What did we solve?

Well first, we've identified that the bakery owners are not very bright, since disagreeing with the "gay lifestyle" is like disagreeing with the "deaf lifestyle" or "left handed lifestyle."

Luckily, smarts isn't a necessity of baking.

Second, the lesbians get a cake. They probably chose the bakery for its convenience. They don't have to be inconvenienced to go to another bakery.

Third, as tax paying citizens whose money goes to help fund the roads, monetary system and court system that help support the business of the bakery be successful, they get to enjoy some return on that investment.

Fourth, they have their cake, eat it too, and then tell all their friends and allies not to go there because a couple of fake Christian dummies who'll make cake for pagan festivals but not a lesbian wedding own the shop.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,168,058 times
Quote:
"I will make your cake but please do not tell anyone where you bought it because we do not agree with your lifestyle and do not want to be associated with it".

They fall within the law but does it really accomplish anything?
I have been to numerous weddings, and never once asked where the cake was from. There was no tag on the cake stating who made it. No announcement of the bakery used for the cake. In fact the only time the cake was even mentioned was to announce the cutting of the cake. Then the couple cleans their faces off, and go back to the party.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well first, we've identified that the bakery owners are not very bright, since disagreeing with the "gay lifestyle" is like disagreeing with the "deaf lifestyle" or "left handed lifestyle."
O.K., I agree with that.

Quote:
Luckily, smarts isn't a necessity of baking.

Second, the lesbians get a cake. They probably chose the bakery for its convenience. They don't have to be inconvenienced to go to another bakery.
I certainly can't speak for everyone but would you really wanting these people to make your cake? Yes, they could have got the cake (that they got anyway) but how many want to do business with someone that will come right out and offend you?

A wedding is a big event and do you want someone not into it making your cake?

Quote:
Third, as tax paying citizens whose money goes to help fund the roads, monetary system and court system that help support the business of the bakery be successful, they get to enjoy some return on that investment.
Sorry, I dismiss this argument outright. I accept the argument "that I'm pissed and want justice" as far more valid.

Quote:
Fourth, they have their cake, eat it too, and then tell all their friends and allies not to go there because a couple of fake Christian dummies who'll make cake for pagan festivals but not a lesbian wedding own the shop.
Their "realness" is irrelevant.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I have been to numerous weddings, and never once asked where the cake was from.
I didn't ask that.

Quote:
There was no tag on the cake stating who made it. No announcement of the bakery used for the cake. In fact the only time the cake was even mentioned was to announce the cutting of the cake. Then the couple cleans their faces off, and go back to the party.
Nor did I ask your personal experience. Many do ask where the cake came from but that's not the question. To make it easier for you.

"I will make your cake but I have to tell you, I do not agree with your lifestyle"

What have we solved?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,225,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every law ever made, is a restriction on somebodies freedom.

As time passes, you become more controlled and less free.
By that logic, fewer laws would mean more freedom.

Except, of course, that the absence of laws does not permit the existence of a void. Instead, that void will be filled by people who will, violently, force their will unto others.

Call it Survival of the Fittest or Rule of the Ruthless, fact is, that laws protect the freedoms of those who are not the fittest and/or who are not the most ruthless.

Thus, the absence of law means primarily that a few will have complete freedom with no fear of repercussions while all others will be oppressed, indentured, and forced to do things against their will.

So, no, fewer laws do not necessarily mean that you have more freedom.

There needs to be a balance - that balance must maximize the possible freedom for all. Doing so, necessarily means that some people's freedom must be limited.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
I certainly can't speak for everyone but would you really wanting these people to make your cake? Yes, they could have got the cake (that they got anyway) but how many want to do business with someone that will come right out and offend you?

A wedding is a big event and do you want someone not into it making your cake?

Personally, no. But in exposing this bakery as being a bigot bakery, all gay and lesbian people and their allies know not to shop there.

The free market requires perfect information for consumers. Consumers do not ever really have that perfect information. Lawsuits and claims make the news. They go to trial where jurors find out facts. Frankly, any person who supports the free market should support lawsuits being available as a means to disseminate information to the consumer.

Quote:
Sorry, I dismiss this argument outright. I accept the argument "that I'm pissed and want justice" as far more valid.

That's kinda what the lesbians did.

Quote:
Their "realness" is irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant if you're going to hide behind "religious freedom" and get out the boards and nails to build a cross and play martyr for the religion being attacked by the evil gay agenda.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Deflect when you have no argument.

Should matter whether or not they were Polish.
You should be defending the parents saying a business MUST serve all that walk through the door.
Deflect? I was just wondering if it were true or not, and yes the Adolf parents should be allowed to have a cake made, though if they wanted to have a cake made with their son standing on a pile of Jewish people, then that would be offensive material.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,102,216 times
Quote:
"We will make your cake but please do not tell anyone where you bought it because we disagree with your lifestyle and we do not want associated with it".

How does this solve the problem?
It doesn't and the bakery can't stop people from saying where their cake came from....also that is just a stupid business model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.