Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,113,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
so the new world order now is agree with us or pay the price??
I don't personally give a horses butt about gay marriage but what I do care about are *******s who
show total disrespect for others beliefs
gay marriage will not hurt anyone UNTIL they insist of tearing down a business who choses to not bake a stupid cake
how many bakeries could they have gone too
NO not these butt heads
I am just about as sick of gay rights as I am with race whores
they are just about the same to me
the one who scram the loudest about "their rights"
don't give a flip about anyone else's
I hope this bakery gets so many orders they cant keep up and I hope the gay couiple who the hell ever they are get just what is coming to them KARMA!!!
what goers around comes around
The couple DID go to a different bakery, and alerted the state of a business breaking the laws of the state.

The baker lost business because of his words, and actions.

BTW the baker has since lost 50% of his income, according to his own estimate. He closed his storefront of his own volition, and moved back into his house for business. All without a single fine, or court case being heard.

THAT is the free market, and KARMA, at work.
Do unto others, right? He decided to discriminate against customers, and the customers decided to discriminate against him.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,318,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
That didn't have to do with a damn thing I said. You ran your mouth about "separation of church and state" I asked you what that had to do with anything and you are now trying to move the goalpost or backtrack.

And come off it. They had no problem backing cakes for this same couple but when they were asked to bake, I.E. labor for a ceremony that went against their religion they couldn't do it. Again, they served this couple before so cut the whole "religious bigots" crap out. Anyone who doesn't toe the liberal line is a bigot, again must the that liberal tolerance. Are we gonna now force holocaust survivors or descendants to labor for Nazis?

Of course you "own two businesses". Everyone on the internet does. Of course you are in complete control , that is why you are backtracking on "separation of church and state". And of course I am the indignant one, that is why I am shouting bigot every other sentence like you. What's your point?

But, like I said since you people can't make an argument you hide behind "the laws of the land". But sometimes it isn't that simple. A couple was refused a cake with their son's Adolf Hitler name on it. It's just a name, the kid isn't actually Hitler himself but that didn't matter. The kid and his parents was discriminated against. Is that bakery an outright "bigot"?

liberals on this thread are feeling pretty full of themselves as if they destroyed these "religious bigots". No, they moved their bakery into their home. So they still get to keep their business without all liberal whack jobs spewing their hate at them and telling them want to do. So you can walk around as if you people accomplished something by getting this bakery shut down when all you people did was show more of more of your liberal intolerance and hate.
Being a Nazi is not a protected class.

Protected classes in anti-discrimination law are characteristics like:

Race
Religion
Disability
Veteran status

And in some states (like Oregon)-Sexual Orientation

Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Discrimination and doing something against your consciousness are two different things.

I'm not even gonna bother with that, you're jumping in the middle of something you don't even understand.
Wait... are you claiming the bakery owners were unconscious?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonker View Post
Are you able to rephrase your post without the included trolls?

Let me ask, do you think civil rights for protected classes are being defended by those that would oppress said classes? Do you think civil rights would just work themselves out without a division? Or is it that you oppose a fair and polite society?
The problems this company is having is because of society right now, not because of the government.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
LOL

Sure.

They are not standing by their religious sensibilities, they are being discriminating homophobic bigots.....
Exactly.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Did you actually read the Statute or read what Mother Jones said what Oregon's Law says? At bottom of Page 85 here I posted a link to the Horse's Mouth -- Oregon's Statute. Go read it for yourself; INCLUDING Decision Notes..

According to Oregon's Law, taking the order for the Wedding Cake, preparing it, making it -- this is NOT considered public accommodation.
No, a place of public accommodation, "means any place or service offering to the public accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges whether in the nature of goods, services, lodgings, amusements or otherwise."

This is the link you provided:

ORS 659A.400 - Place of public accommodation defined - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

659A.400¹
Place of public accommodation defined
(1) A place of public accommodation, subject to the exclusion in subsection (2) of this section, means any place or service offering to the public accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges whether in the nature of goods, services, lodgings, amusements or otherwise.
(2) However, a place of public accommodation does not include any institution, bona fide club or place of accommodation which is in its nature distinctly private. [Formerly 30.675]
There is nothing in the Decision Notes that supports your claim.

Here is the relevant law:

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/659A.403

Last edited by Ceist; 09-05-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Are "religious beliefs" a get out of jail free card?

Can you break the law, because you have a "religious belief"?

Anyone can start a religion based on whatever "religious beliefs" they want.
It would be a dangerous. Biblical literalists could claim that they should be able to own a slave, stone to death children if they disobey their parents, stone to death women for adultery, kill men who are Canaanite sacred temple prostitutes...

Or ridiculous like...refusing to serve men who have tattoos or cut their sideburns, or women who wear jewellery or trousers... oh wait - anyone see a photo of the bakery owners?

Last edited by Ceist; 09-05-2013 at 06:49 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM

24,261 posts, read 14,113,586 times
I'm starting a religion that says that all law are sin.

Does that mean I don't have to follow any laws now? I mean it is my religious belief.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,253,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I'm starting a religion that says that all law are sin.

Does that mean I don't have to follow any laws now? I mean it is my religious belief.
Meh. I'm stating a religion that says all sin is law!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM

37,941 posts, read 17,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No, I got the point.
No you didn't. Your thought process is ineffective and will not allow you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
To a right-wing homophobe, not being able to treat gays as second-class citizens is just like *sob* slavery! Gosh, life must be awful for you.
LMAO Since when is using force to get someone to work the same as treating gays as 2nd class citizens? Good to see you didn't disappoint me by deflecting as well as lying about my stance on gays.
Gays are like any other INDIVIDUAL. No one person or group should be considered "special" and therefore in need of "extra rights". You don't get your rights from belonging to any group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies