Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernesther View Post

I truly want to know why people believe its predetermined.

Especially when there is no concrete scientific proof to support that claim. I respect your opinions. I would not have asked if I wasn't genuinely curious..
Common sense says it's predetermined, and there is ample evidence showing it's biological. You just ignore it.

For the record, there is no "concrete scientific proof" that gravity exists.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:19 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
"Feeds"? This isn't facebook.

And you can be banned for starting up another thread on the same exact subject that was locked for a reason.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Are people born transgender? Are there brain differences between gays and transgenders and straights?
Yes.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I sometimes wonder if the folks who argue that sexuality is learned have never once been in lust. Maybe they've never felt that animal pull, pheremones flying all over, your body reacting on its own to someone. Where they make you weak in the knees and you become sexually aroused just thinking of them.

Perhaps if that had never happened to me, and I had never felt the absolutely elemental experience of being next to a man that I was wired to want, I could buy into the notion of "choosing." But no indoctrination on earth could create or destroy that draw. So I have to conclude that some people haven't felt it.
I believe the argument is that children are born without a particular sexual attraction and that outside influences pre-determine the sexual orientation the child may have in later years. Thus, once personal sexual orientation enters consciousness, the belief is that it is based primarily on extrinsic factors.

On the other hand, many other people believe that once personal sexual orientation enters consciousness, that there is no deliberate mental process akin to choosing and that, therefore, sexual orientation is predetermined by intrinsic factors (such as traits).

All I can say is that I, personally, never had any control over my sexual orientation. I do not recall when this was ever a choice for me. Still, that does, in my humble opinion, not negate the possibility that extrinsic subconscious factors played a role in very early childhood.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Immorality is a choice ,one is not born immoral, it is either forced on them or they choose .
There are a rare few that have a birth defect .
It is a defect,, not an asset.
To glorify a defect in it's self, is against nature, much like fat women flaunting them selves in public representing the worst in personal dicipline .
You don't deliberately buy a defective phone or car or heart valve ,now do you .
Don't be a liar, be honest.
Fact of the matter is , the investments are toward the more perfect ,reliable ,trust worthy.
Any false representation in products or food have serious reprocussions ,don't they .
So Why the glorification of Freaks and those that CHOOSE TO BE FREAKS.
Any thinking person does not want to mate with the potential of their children being freaks ,unless they actually hate children/humanity, or just plain selfish and thoughtless individuals, supported by a liberal thinking society.
True liberals hate humanity. their agendas prove the lack of dicipline and support of criminals .
It's a shame to read such a narrow minded and offensive opinion like this. This is not reflective of the conservative mindset as a whole. Though I am not right or left per-se I tend to lean conservative and most definitely this is not the mainstream opinion of republicans or conservatives in general. I firmly believe the political divisiveness of today's politics is because of opinions like this being taken as mainstream thought and I wish there was a term other then right wing conservatism for this archaic philosophy.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Life on other planets is a theory. People being born gay is as much a theory as people being born left handed or with blond hair. It is what it is. If you have questions about the theory just walk up and ask any gay person. 99% will tell you the same thing. They sat around and decided to be attracted to the same sex just as much as every straight person sat around and then consciously decided that they wanted to be attracted to the opposite sex.

Why is this even a question? So bizarre. Almost everyone has a sexual identity. It runs the same for gays as it does for straights.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
There has been several stories as of late where troubled teens having problems dealing with their sexuality and being gay and committing suicide, which is just completely unacceptable to me........ sad sad waste of a life...

I just don't think with all of the societal pressure to "be straight and fit in" that someone is going to choose being gay.

I mean it's possible of course, but for me, IDK, I have always thought and will continue to do so, that gay people are born that way...... I don't have any fancy science to back up my claim, other than to me it just seem like common sense.....
People just want to be normal, being gay is not normal, it may be natural, but so is being born blind.

So far as I am aware, no one has found the gay gene. If they did, and if a fetus could be tested for the presence of it, then things might take a change.

So far, being gay is just a psychological state of being that we may never fully understand. Does anyone think we will ever find a gene for why some people like liver and onions, or football, or why some men prefer redheads to brunettes?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Common sense says it's predetermined, and there is ample evidence showing it's biological. You just ignore it.

For the record, there is no "concrete scientific proof" that gravity exists.
Yes there is. There is no proof on how it works.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
People just want to be normal, being gay is not normal, it may be natural, but so is being born blind.

So far as I am aware, no one has found the gay gene. If they did, and if a fetus could be tested for the presence of it, then things might take a change.

So far, being gay is just a psychological state of being that we may never fully understand. Does anyone think we will ever find a gene for why some people like liver and onions, or football, or why some men prefer redheads to brunettes?
What's your point? Some people have a natural desire for liver, onions and redheads. People have a natural desire for the opposite sex and some have it for the same sex. One might be more common than the other, but they work the same way and the humans are the same humans either way. Just cause a guy is born gay and likes guys doesn't mean he isn't just another human being the same as a straight guy or a woman born left handed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies