Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM

808 posts, read 662,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
hat's if you pay an individual policy, and that policy I quoted is the best one they have. It it what be called a Cadillac plan in the US. Canadian companies also provide private health insurance like we do in the US as part of their benefits package, so really, few Canadians actually pay that much for a policy for 4 people. Reading is fundamental

It is THE BEST?

wow. for the basics- 462$ and that is on top of the taxes you pay for single-payer one.

And that DOES NOT include advanced cancer treatments, as I understand ( if the cap is 100K)

I pay for such Cadillac 276$ per month ( family)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:24 PM

808 posts, read 662,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And the UK is wisely set up with widespread public transit. Most of my friends in the UK commuted into London (where I was living) from the suburbs, but next to none owned a vehicle. Public transit costs were comparable to the US with MUCH better service.

The average American probably pays more per year in gas costs than the average British person does in all of their transit costs! And that's not counting car expenses themselves.
Public transportation is the whole different issue.
Has nothing to do with NHS.

start a new thread - public transportation IS something which would be beneficial for this country.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And the UK is wisely set up with widespread public transit. Most of my friends in the UK commuted into London (where I was living) from the suburbs, but next to none owned a vehicle. Public transit costs were comparable to the US with MUCH better service.

The average American probably pays more per year in gas costs than the average British person does in all of their transit costs! And that's not counting car expenses themselves.
That's true....however since you've been to London, you know the streets are full of cars, trucks, busses, and taxis.

Plus, this is nationwide we're talking. Farming equipment, lawnmowers, and people who don't live in places with much or no public transport are also paying those taxes.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
It is THE BEST?

wow. for the basics- 462$ and that is on top of the taxes you pay for single-payer one.

And that DOES NOT include advanced cancer treatments, as I understand ( if the cap is 100K)

Where to begin.

Well my Cadillac Plan top-up is less than $462 a year, not a month. It includes advanced cancer treatment with no cap (never heard of one with a cap) as cancer treatment is covered by our provincial insurance plan, in my case OHIP.

Oh yeah you keep saying that our taxes are much higher than yours, please go back and read the many posts by others which provide concrete data which prove they are not. In fact I have a lower tax load in Ontario than I did in California. Add in my health insurance in California and I am way ahead of the game.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Where to begin.

Well my Cadillac Plan top-up is less than $462 a year, not a month. It includes advanced cancer treatment with no cap (never heard of one with a cap) as cancer treatment is covered by our provincial insurance plan, in my case OHIP.

Oh yeah you keep saying that our taxes are much higher than yours, please go back and read the many posts by others which provide concrete data which prove they are not. In fact I have a lower tax load in Ontario than I did in California. Add in my health insurance in California and I am way ahead of the game.
I too am flumoxed by this cap stuff. Have many friends and relatives that have had major issues with everything from cancers to degenerative diseases and there has never been a cap imposed on the treatments that have lasted lifetimes for some. I don't know where this is coming from unless people are stupid enough to forego the Universal plan entirely and opt for nothing BUT private with whatever conditions it brings to the table.

I'm not understanding this cap thingy at all.

My Defined Benefit pension plan affords me top-up items throughout my retirement years with caps to my dental, massage therapy, grief counselling, and eyeglass provisions but even it does not have caps to it's top-up on out of Province hospitalization and other normal treatment protocols.

Where that top-up plan attempts to govern costs is to saddle up a med-flight with EMT attendants to get my azz home to a Canadian hospital if I'm stable and non-critical, as even with flight costs and attendants to monitor me, it will still be a cost savings to get my butt out of the U.S. with it's exhorbitant costs compared to anywhere else in the free world.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,234 times
Patients in UK hospitals are 45 percent more likely to die than patients in the US, and five times more likely to die from pneumonia:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nh...han-in-US.html

Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
it is ALL comfort measures, which I have with my American insurance for 276$ per month, plus everything else as well.
And shouldn't be dental and vision included in their single-payer system - to start with?

Don't know what is going to happen after Oct 1, though and do not expect anything good to happen.

But so far our costs are MUCH LESS from Canadian figures.
Dental care and physical therapy are not "comfort measures". What do you think PT is? Hint: It's not massage therapy, or some hocus pocus new age nonsense. When I had my hip surgery I had to learn to walk again. That's what PT did for me.

Read this:
Physical therapy is a healthcare specialty that includes the evaluation, assessment, and treatment of individuals with limitations in functional mobility. . . . Physical therapists use many different techniques to help you decrease pain, decrease stiffness, improve motion and strength, and improve mobility. Physical agents, such as heat, ice, ultrasound, or electrical stimulation may be used. Manual techniques are often used to help improve mobility. . . Therapeutic exercise is often used by physical therapists to help people gain range of motion, increase strength, and improve function. Patient education about a condition or illness is paramount to the practice of physical therapy, and therapists may use charts, models, and diagrams to help you understand your diagnosis and prognosis.

People can die from untreated dental problems.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:24 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,377 times
Quote:
so you pay those 400+ bucks just for the comfort measures? pretty costly ( on top of high taxes) - almost TWICE as much as in the US.

what about the coverage for all of those procedures and treatments ( mostly in oncology) which are rationed by single-payer system ( gene mapping etc) - are they covered by that additional insurance?
No. Anything like that is covered by the provincial system (if you're lucky).
For instance, I had a PSA (prostate-specific antigen) blood test done as a measure to detect any early signs of prostate problems recently. Rather than applaud me for taking proactive measures with my health, my private insurer told me they don't cover it. The provincial system won't cover it either, unless you have pre-existing issues. If I were to end up with prostate cancer, however, the provincial system would pay for that. So there you have it. Two insurance coverages, yet I had to pay out-of-pocket for this. It's unreal.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
so Canadians want to make us believe their ADDITIONAL private insurance which costs twice as much as American one and which is capped at 100K and is covering mostly the comfort measures ( not the latest top-notch medical treatments) are better ?

LOL
I never tried to convince anyone of that. It's one of your own trying to do that (i.e. - theunbrainwashed).

Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
It is THE BEST?

That policy he quoted doesn't cover cancer treatments. That's part of the provincial coverage we have here, so you get dumped into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies