Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,014,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Because the often unstated but nonetheless central tenet of racism in the US is that blacks and whites are locked in a zero-sum game. In other words, whites believe any policy that appears to benefit blacks, or any gains blacks make, must necessarily come at whites' expense. Whites do not believe this about any group, but they do believe it about blacks. Anti-black racism is unique in the US. No other group is so hated and feared as African-Americans.

Great post. Why do you think this? (The part in bold)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:57 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,697,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you're claiming this poster is bigoted against wrongness?
I don't make any claims about posters. I have never met any so really haven't any interest in making such comments. All I comment on are the comments and perspectives expressed. In the case you asked about, I was pointing out the "self-fulfilling bit of rationalization" inherent in arguments that evoke assumptions that "one group is more typically wrong".

Old 09-03-2013, 07:58 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,670,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I find it odd that mainly blacks and whites like to "pick sides"(usually their own) when it comes to race related issues.

{snip}

Blacks and whites always, it seems, take the side of their own race.

Why is that?
It depends on if the person is in the wrong. I'm not going to pick the side of anyone who was on the wrong side, no matter what their race is.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
Blacks take advantage of section 8 and other government charities far more than any race. remember the country is only 12% black yet close to half of section 8 and welfare recipients are black. nice try though.

I never said blacks use more drugs than whites. nice try again. they do however commit a disproportionate amount of property crime and violent crime. go get some knowledge.

liberals are destroying the country
Isn't that funny? Since you talked about incarceration rates i thought you were interested in incarceration rates.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't make any claims about posters.
of course you did. here's a screenshot of you doing exactly that.

Quote:
I have never met any so really haven't any interest in making such comments.
utter silliness. one need not meet someone in person to make comments about them.

Quote:
All I comment on are the comments and perspectives expressed. In the case you asked about, I was pointing out the "self-fulfilling bit of rationalization" inherent in arguments that evoke assumptions that "one group is more typically wrong".
no. much more than that, you accused this poster of 'bigotry' and 'hatred' of things that are wrong.

was this meant as a compliment?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,479,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Great post. Why do you think this? (The part in bold)
Entire books have been written about this, some of them spanning several volumes. It is too complicated a story to relate in full here.

Suffice it to say that all ideologies of racism rank different people in a hierarchy, and within US racism, blacks have long been at the bottom of that hierarchy. In the white racist imagination, African-Americans symbolize everything crude and dangerous and undesirable about humanity. This is nothing new.

For example, in the years following the end of the Civil War, the US experienced a massive industrialization. There was an insatiable hunger for massive quantities of unskilled labor. Yet, industrialists were simply unwilling to use African Americans to feed that hunger. Instead, they used immigrant labor from Europe. Blacks were completely shut out, and most remained sharecroppers in the South.

No doubt, immigrants were hated and discriminated against. But the fact they got industrialist jobs at all shows that as much as native whites hated immigrants, they hated blacks more.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:25 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,697,180 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I don't make any claims about posters. I have never met any so really haven't any interest in making such comments. All I comment on are the comments and perspectives expressed.
of course you did. here's a screenshot of you doing exactly that.
No, that's a screenshot of me doing precisely what I said I do, which you conveniently left out of the quote of my message. I've restored the missing sentence from my earlier comment, and made it bold so you cannot miss it this time.

Quote:
utter silliness. one need not meet someone in person to make comments about them.
Only to legitimately make comments about them. If legitimacy doesn't matter to you, that's your decision.

Quote:
no. much more than that, you accused this poster of 'bigotry' and 'hatred' of things that are wrong.
No I didn't. You're apparently refusing to admit the nature of my comments presumably for your own motivations. Like I said, all I comment on are the comments and perspectives expressed. I'm sorry if it upsets anyone that my comments don't lend themselves to the kind of criticisms that you're trying to direct at them.

Last edited by bUU; 09-03-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,577,683 times
I think that part of it stems from the fact that the conversation happens in terms of the broad brush. Most white people have not had a role in any kind of oppression nor have they been in a postion to do so. Most are middle class and feel unjustly accused by people blaming society or white people. On the other side, most black people do not fall into the "thug" category and also feel unjustly accused or labeled by discussions about that population that are used to describe "the black community." The majority of people are in the middle but feel defensive when labeled as a part of the problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,025,565 times
As with most race based threads on this forum, the topic of white privilege is thrown around as if it were actually real. When dealing with some of the typical militant black members who have already flooded this thread it becomes very clear that the real white privilege means that white people here have the privilege of being blamed for everything bad that ever happens in any minority groups.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
Human nature. No one wants to look in the mirror and see their own faults. It is always easier to find the fault in others.
As a white man I can drive down just about any street and have no issue with the police unless I am in fact breaking a law.
Car full of young black men? LOL be honest people, they draw cops like a magnet.
I lived in Va Beach while I served. Cops like to harass servicemen during tourist season and leave us alone in off season. same deal as blacks put up with everyday.
I visited Richmond with 4 black friends. We served together and we decided to take a road trip. We got pulled over for no reason other than to ask what we were doing at 10 oclock at night driving through the neighborhood. How about this is america and we weren't breaking any laws. It happens and only the delusional will deny it.

Whites don't have it like we once did. To many blacks they are programed to think all a white guy has to do is show up and fill out the application and they got the job. LOL if only that were true.
Behind every stereo type is a grain of truth..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies