Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What we are seeing is a testament to how deeply conditioned many people have become by years of propaganda from the right-wing think tanks who have convinced people that "social responsibility" and social conscience is not part of the basis of our success as a county, and that personal responsibility is the be-all, end-all. It justifies greed, makes people proud to be selfish and greedy, and allows them to feel justified in not developing any compassion for others in their community. It's just that belief that "I've got mine, to hell with everyone else."
Walmart Gives Almost $1 Billion in Charitable Donations:

Walmart Gives Almost $1 Billion in Charitable Donations: Is your Nonprofit Getting a Share? - Double the Donation

Social Responsibility is different things to different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I generalize plenty, and I don't apologize for it, nor do I have a problem with generalizations that are generally accurate. Hence the world "generalization".

Differing opinions notwithstanding, you're alright in my book, but you are an exception to the rule IMO, at least on this board,

But we have nothing to argue about - we agree that the subsidization is not going to Walmart, it's going to the people who are receiving. Walmart is not receiving direct or even indirect subsidization in the form of lower wages than would exist otherwise.

What I have suggested is simply a compromise. Withdrawal from market interference as it concerns wages, with welfare as a safety net coupled with a work requirement to keep "freeloaders" in check.

I'm all for wlfare if it is truly a temporary thing. Everyone needs help now and then.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A single mother of 2 working at McDonalds for 10 years "needs" more money and is waiting for someone to bring it to her.
This was one interviewed during the big walkout.
Started at McD's at 16 and still there 10 years later and now with 2 kids.

Did this girl plan to work her entire life at McDonald's ? Seems so.
My point is that one can not interject these arbitrary unrelated variables into the supply and demand dynamic without consequence.

And yes, not every job can be required to provide a living wage. Such would mean the end of teenage and very low skill employment.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm all for wlfare if it is truly a temporary thing. Everyone needs help now and then.
I don't care how long it goes on. Some people genuinely need it, for long stretches of time. Obviously this should be discouraged, but it is what it is. Things happen. That's fine.

What I am against is the idea that this should be pinned on employers. The employers have nothing to do with this. This is a social issue and if we agree that the responsibility exists, we should agree that the responsibility should be shared by all.

Someone with three kids who works at Walmart is going to need help, period, and not just for a couple of months. What do you suggest we do with them? Given that forcing Walmart to pay for all three of those kids is a ridiculous suggestion and will not work.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:32 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
The bottom line is that around here there are tons of jobs other than Walmart.

Don't like it? Work someplace else, get some job skills etc.

Around here the general quality of employee at a Walmart is near the bottom of the barrell. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I don't care how long it goes on. Some people genuinely need it, for long stretches of time. Obviously this should be discouraged, but it is what it is. Things happen. That's fine.

What I am against is the idea that this should be pinned on employers. The employers have nothing to do with this. This is a social issue and if we agree that the responsibility exists, we should agree that the responsibility should be shared by all.

Someone with three kids who works at Walmart is going to need help, period, and not just for a couple of months. What do you suggest we do with them? Given that forcing Walmart to pay for all three of those kids is a ridiculous suggestion and will not work.

As long as they work, I have no problem with public assistance being long term. I thought I made myself clear on that one. Maybe not.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
As long as they work, I have no problem with public assistance being long term. I thought I made myself clear on that one. Maybe not.
Well then we are in agreement for the most part.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Walmart is a target because it can bring low prices to various ghettos where they pay 300% mark up and they don't have a union that can funnel money to the Democrat Party. Oh, the horror.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Walmart is a target because it can bring low prices to various ghettos where they pay 300% mark up and they don't have a union that can funnel money to the Democrat Party. Oh, the horror.

Whaaaaa?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Thanks for repeating your theory. It's been considered, and it's been dismissed as the ridiculous and illogical economic fantasy that it is.

That's not subsidizing Walmart, as I spent about a page explaining. You're not refuting my points, you're repeating this ridiculous assertion over and over again with NO supporting facts. What you are writing here is rhetoric, not logical argument.

Explain the relationship between needs and wages and/or how Walmart by employing an individual bears sole responsibility for said individual's well being.

Walmart is not receiving anything from taxpayers. The low wage labor force would exists whether or not any form of welfare did or did not exist. Walmart has not benefited from this arrangement.

This is not subsidization in any way, shape, or form, because the existence of welfare does not in any way provide Walmart with a labor force that is more desperate than they would be otherwise and willing to work for lower wages than they would be otherwise.

If anything, the existence of welfare does the opposite of subsidizing Walmart, by providing an alternative to very low wages, thus decreasing the supply side of labor at lower wage rates, driving up prices, and forcing Walmart to pay more in order to make their positions attractive.

In fact, being owned by rich people, and paying a ton in taxes, Walmart pays more out of pocket for the welfare these individuals receive by anyone else, in addition to wages that are not in any way pushed down by the existence of welfare.

I will repeat this one more time. You have NO economic argument. Your assertions are completely unsupported by any legitimate economic theory. Or basic logic for that matter.

Whatever you say. I've disproved and debunked your dis-cleverness.
Talk about being thick.

Wal-Mart Relies On Taxpayers To Subsidize Low Wages - Business Insider

Wal-Mart Subsidy Watch - brought to you by Good Jobs First

Report says Wal-Mart received $1B in government subsidies. - May. 24, 2004

California To Wal-Mart: Enough! No More Taxpayer Subsidized Profits For You - Forbes

Top Reasons the Walton Family and Walmart are NOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies