Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 02:47 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The law disregards individual religious beliefs.

Does everyone have to incorporate themselves as a church to stay within the law and still have their beliefs ?
The law is not required to accommodate your religious beliefs. Should Muslims be allowed to kill infidels? Why not? Should you be able to beat your wife or murder your children if they disobey you? No? How dare the law interfere with my religious beliefs.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shstrang98 View Post
If I own a business...not a publicly traded company....I have the right to so serve the customers I want and it's nobody's damned business what I do.

Having said that I would serve anyone (except for a convicted pedophile or terrorist) regardless of their sexual orientation; their money is the same color as anyone else's.

What gets me is that the Lbgt community wants respect then they do stupid crap having a kiss in at Chick Filet and try to force privately owned businesses to serve them.

Making asses of themselves isn't going get acceptance.
Just out of curiosity. In your supposed business how would you know if a customer is a convicted pedofile or terrorist? Background check before entering? I wonder how long your business would stay open.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:59 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
They should have the right to choose whom to serve.
sexual orientation is not a civil right.

Except that it IS a civil right. And it IS protected in almost half the states. The rest will follow when the baby boomers head off into the sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi
it's an option in ways for receiving a pleasure.

I weep for the education system in this country, that has failed so many.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:01 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
When it comes to business, anyone can claim that anything is a "religious belief".

Could I run a kitchen, and claim that refrigeration was against my "religious beliefs" and not have to pass that part of the health code?
Could I run a pig farm in my back yard, and claim it is a "religious belief" to get around zoning laws?
I could claim that storing toxic waste in a hole in my yard is a "religious belief". Want to live in my neighborhood?
Maybe my "religious beliefs" say it is perfectly acceptable to sell alcohol to minors. No law can touch my beliefs. Right.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Should gay people be able to shop in Hobby Lobby?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM

702 posts, read 726,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Should gay people be able to shop in Hobby Lobby?
No, gay people go to Micheals.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The law is not required to accommodate your religious beliefs. Should Muslims be allowed to kill infidels? Why not? Should you be able to beat your wife or murder your children if they disobey you? No? How dare the law interfere with my religious beliefs.
Unless you are a church and then they do.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Business owners (whatever the business) can and do convert from one crazy belief to another. Now, if it's a small business with a personal service (carpet cleaning, whatever) or a 1 man operation they can do whatever they please IMO. But in most cases we can't have businesses that serve a community be at the whims of whatever crazy human (and don't think we all aren't) happens to be the boss that day.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Recently, I have read several accounts regarding business owners who refused LGBT requests for their services. Should religious business owners have to serve LGBT or risk losing their livelihoods, be threatened, boycotted, etc.. for their religious convictions?

1. Oregon. A married couple owned a bakery. They refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. They closed after receiving numerous threats.
Threats Shut Down Oregon Bakery That Refused to Make Gay Wedding Cake:

2. New Mexico. A wedding photographer refused to work a gay wedding.
N.M. Supreme Court: Photographers Can't Refuse Gay Weddings | Gleanings | ChristianityToday.com

3. Iowa. A bistro and art gallery owned by Mennonites refused a gay wedding request for the use of their building. they have since been targeted with countless hate filled emails.

4. Kentucky. A custom T-shirt shop refused to print shirts with pro homosexuals messages.

5. Washington. An elderly florist refused to make the flower arrangements for a gay wedding.

6. Colorado. A bakery refused to bake a cake for a homosexual couple and was boycotted.

Christian Businesses Targeted Over Refusal to Serve Gay Weddings
I thought Christians are people who follow the teachings of Christ?

How is treating their gay and lesbian neighbors badly something that Christ taught?

Perhaps these so called 'Christians' should call themselves something other than Christian.

How about neo-Pharisees?

Read Matthew 23 to see what Christ would think of these people.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
What about the right to practice your religion ?
That's where social reform via legislation crosses the line over the right to practice your religion.
That's part of the First Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies