Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,271,169 times

Advertisements

WHO is a Christian, for profit business? Please explain to me how the general public is supposed to know that? How many people knew Hobby Lobby was? Maybe these businesses should hang crosses in their store windows so the WORLD will know? That way those of us who might offend their religious beliefs with, for example, my tshirt saying "I support my lesbian daughter", or my Pagan symbol pendent, won't get us kicked out. If I knew they were a Christian Company, I could avoid patronizing their establishments in the first place.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM

186 posts, read 361,689 times
as a biz owner, i most certainly CAN refuse service to anybody that I damned well choose. Of course, I also have to be willing to suffer legal consequences for those refusals. Threaten ME with violence, (much less actually TRY it0 tho, and you'll beget a LOT more violence than you can handle, guaranteed! i'll shut down the biz, all right, and then in a year or so, lol! Oh yeah.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,251,999 times
A case of reverse discrimination. They should have the right to refuse service to anyone.

So, not everyone drank your Kool-aid? Don't you find that interesting? Just because society says something is right, doesn't make it right.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM

11,176 posts, read 10,956,635 times
[quote=annie_himself;31267222]
Quote:
I hope all these bigots lose their business.
So, you hope that ordinary people lose their livelihoods because they stand up for their religious convictions? That right there is an example of a militant liberal. At least they have the guts. What's sad is people who are deeply religious who strongly oppose abortion and gay sex, yet constantly vote for a political party that looks to further both of those agendas.

Quote:
I didn't know the Bible said to hate thy neighbor.
It doesn't. But it does mention the sin of homosexuality in many parts of the Bible, not just the Old Testament, but the New as well. Just sayin'.......

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
WHO is a Christian, for profit business? Please explain to me how the general public is supposed to know that? Maybe these businesses should hang crosses in their store windows so the WORLD will know.
This may not be a bad idea. Very similar to putting the Jesus "fish" symbol in their phone book ad. And on the flipside, those businesses who do not care should advertise as being gay friendly. This doesn't have to be difficult, not does it have to violate anyones religious convictions or way of life.

Those that do display Christian symbols, though, will be constant targets of militant liberals and homosexuals. It is a known fact that they seek controversy to further their cause, and to what better expense than that of a Christian business?

Last edited by ditchlights; 09-04-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM

10,198 posts, read 6,271,169 times
[quote=ditchlights;31267981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

So, you hope that ordinary people lose their livelihoods because they stand up for their religious convictions? That right there is an example of a militant liberal. At least they have the guts. What's sad is people who are deeply religious who strongly oppose abortion and gay sex, yet constantly vote for a political party that looks to further both of those agendas.

It doesn't. But it does mention the sin of homosexuality in many parts of the Bible, not just the Old Testament, but the New as well. Just sayin'.......
It also mentions the sin of adultery. I suppose by their logic they should not serve a married man who is there with a woman other than his wife? Worship False Gods? No Non-Christians will be served?

The entire thing is totally crazy. Keep your religion at HOME and to yourself.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,531,503 times
I believe that businesses (with the exception of the medical community) should be allowed to deny service to anyone for any reason.

If I owned a business, the only people I wouldn't want as customers are certain criminals (pedophiles, rapists, murderers, etc) or people such as skinheads/clan members. Race, sexual orientation or religion would have no bearing on my service.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,531,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
OK, where do you draw the line then? Should Jewish businesses be allowed to discriminate against Muslims and vise-verse? Should a "militant" lesbian business owner be allowed to discriminate against men?
Yes.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM

[quote=Jo48;31268648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

It also mentions the sin of adultery. I suppose by their logic they should not serve a married man who is there with a woman other than his wife? Worship False Gods? No Non-Christians will be served?
If a business owner wants to deny their services to all those groups, it should be their right. If they want to risk losing a lot of business for their beliefs, by all means, let them. This is not about supressing the rights of the LBGT community. It's about upholding the rights of a business owner and devoutly religious people. Many Christians are very gay friendly. Many are not.

Personally, I couldn't care less if you're a transsexual nazi eskimo. I couldn't care less if you like to slather yourself up in bleu cheese dressing and engage in beastiality on the weekends. You would always be welcome in my establishment. But, at the same time, I would respect another business owners decision to not serve you on the grounds of his or her religious convictions as well.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,743,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

If a business owner wants to deny their services to all those groups, it should be their right. If they want to risk losing a lot of business for their beliefs, by all means, let them. This is not about supressing the rights of the LBGT community. It's about upholding the rights of a business owner and devoutly religious people. Many Christians are very gay friendly. Many are not.

Personally, I couldn't care less if you're a transsexual nazi eskimo. I couldn't care less if you like to slather yourself up in bleu cheese dressing and engage in beastiality on the weekends. You would always be welcome in my establishment. But, at the same time, I would respect another business owners decision to not serve you on the grounds of his or her religious convictions as well.
The Supreme Court has already ruled access to public accommodation trumps religious freedom. That's why all those businesses in the South who used to ban blacks from using their facilities were taken to court and lost.

If your personal religious beliefs do not allow you to follow the business laws of a secular country, you should refrain from opening a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies