Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 04:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Note : selling someone else's production or invention is criminal... no objections there.
But making a non-commercial copy should not be a crime.
Of course, with software, no one "sells" it, anyway. That's how the lawyers danced around the issue - by EULA. All you buy now is the permission to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That depends on what the non commercial use is, if you're ripping a copy of CD for your friend...
Copying software or music for your own personal use or to share with your friends is not a crime under current law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 05:01 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
when I was a kid (1980's) I used to record my favorite radio stations on cassette. I did this so I wouldn't have to buy my favorite songs. This was a loss of revenue for record companies. Was this theft on my part?
No I don't think it was. Do you think the scale of an act makes a difference?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
A perfect example of why people should steal all they can from those sharks.
What exactly makes a movie producer a shark? They aren't selling anything you need at a high price. They are selling luxury items. You can easily live without them if you don't appreciate their terms. To think that you need the movies and they are sharks for keeping it out of your price range is absurd.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:05 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
No I don't think it was. Do you think the scale of an act makes a difference?
yes I think scale does matter.

But what I did as a kid when i recorded music off the radio is really no different than if i download a song off of a file sharing network. In both cases, there is a loss of revenue to the record company.

Or you could argue, that if i wasn't able to record off the radio or download off of a file sharing network then I wouldn't have bought the song anyway. In that case, there is no loss of revenue.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Again, how does the producer lose out from piracy? He loses nothing. He wasn't deprived of anything.
Obviously, the producer loses out.

The producer PAID - both literally and figuratively in terms of time and effort - to develop that product and bring it to market in expectation of REVENUE. Same as when a baker bakes a loaf of bread or a company produces a car. When it is pirated, the producer does not get the revenue. This obviously deprives him of income and negatively impacts profit margins.

A musician invests his time and stakes his livelihood into producing a music album of original material, expecting to make a profit on it. That is his intellectual property that he is offering on the market for sale. If you want to consume that good, the expectation is that you pay for the privilege. Pirating is taking the product he created at own cost and consuming it without compensation. How can anyone with adult reasoning seriously think that is NOT theft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The ignorance in this thread is overwhelming.
Yes, it is. Where you went off the rails is in assuming that the only product that one should pay for is the kind that you can physically pick up and chuck at a wall. Just because a product is digital or service-based does not necessarily mean that it was developed with the intention of being "free."

Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Obviously, the producer loses out.

The producer PAID - both literally and figuratively in terms of time and effort - to develop that product and bring it to market in expectation of REVENUE. Same as when a baker bakes a loaf of bread or a company produces a car. When it is pirated, the producer does not get the revenue. This obviously deprives him of income and negatively impacts profit margins.

A musician invests his time and stakes his livelihood into producing a music album of original material, expecting to make a profit on it. That is his intellectual property that he is offering on the market for sale. If you want to consume that good, the expectation is that you pay for the privilege. Pirating is taking the product he created at own cost and consuming it without compensation. How can anyone with adult reasoning seriously think that is NOT theft?

Yes, it is. Where you went off the rails is in assuming that the only product that one should pay for is the kind that you can physically pick up and chuck at a wall. Just because a product is digital or service-based does not necessarily mean that it was developed with the intention of being "free."
so what about my example of recording songs on to cassette from the radio? Isn't that the same as downloading a song from a file sharing network? In both cases there is a less of revenue to the producer.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,597 times
Quote:
yes I think scale does matter.

But what I did as a kid when i recorded music off the radio is really no different than if i download a song off of a file sharing network. In both cases, there is a loss of revenue to the record company.
Agreed, as the downloader, it's pretty benign. The damage is done by the uploader. I'm not trying to defend the record companies. I think the whole problem is their fault for being slow dinosaurs in a fast moving world. As itunes and netflix and other services have shown, when done right, people will gladly pay when they perceive value. The record companies don't provide value anymore, so the customers have moved on. If the dinosaurs can't evolve then they will just be left behind. On the other hand, conceptually, I'd like to see people respect the artists they claim to adore. Some artists are ok with and even advocate file sharing. Some don't. For those that don't want people uploading their songs, it sure feels like theft to me.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Just curious. For those saying that piracy is theft, do you or have you ever downloaded music or movies from file sharing sites?
Not a single time, have I downloaded music illegally. I like to have the physical possession of a CD (or LP's when I first started), and do not listen to music on anything but a CD Player.

Yeah, I'm still old school. I would play my LP's but transporting a record player is a PITA.

Edit: Oh, just to add, I worked for Tower Records/Video for nearly 10 years from High School. I learned first hand what theft does, at the retail level. I can only imagine what it does when its directly stolen via digital format.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
when I was a kid (1980's) I used to record my favorite radio stations on cassette. I did this so I wouldn't have to buy my favorite songs. This was a loss of revenue for record companies. Was this theft on my part?
If you planned to sell or give it away, then yes.

The courts have already ruled that recording video or audio for personal use from a broadcast (radio or TV) is allowable. I believe it fell under the overall ruling in Sony vs Universal.

also, you lose "quality" when recording from a broadcast, and will never achieve the quality of a commercial product.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
If you planned to sell or give it away, then yes.

The courts have already ruled that recording video or audio for personal use from a broadcast (radio or TV) is allowable. I believe it fell under the overall ruling in Sony vs Universal.

also, you lose "quality" when recording from a broadcast, and will never achieve the quality of a commercial product.
downloading songs aren't as good quality as CD either.

also..when i was a kid if a friend had a cassette of a new album i liked, i would make a copy of that tape on to a new tape. Was that illegal? Also, how is that different from file sharing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies