Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
"In both patents and copyrights, there is clearly a strong prima facie case for establishing property rights. Unless this is done, the inventor will find it difficult or impossible to collect a payment for the contribution his invention makes to output. He will, that is, confer benefits on others for which he cannot be compensated. Hence he will have no incentive to devote the time and effort required to produce the invention. Similar considerations apply to the writer."

Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom, p. 127
Not everyone believes in capitalism. Chief is a prime example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 09:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't have a problem with your buddy sharing her directTV login with you. If that's what the agreement is between DirectTV and your buddy, cool.
It's a violation of DirectTV's (even Dish and Time Warner) policies to share your account/login information to take advantage of download content (ie, access to view episodes only available to Dish/DirectTv/TimeWarner subscribers).

So, if KU Chief's is using her friend's login in order to watch episodes she wouldn't normally see, then she is using that information in violation of her friend's contract with the service provider.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Funny how these things are revealed. By the way, Chief is a conservative male. I'm a liberal female.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
It's a violation of DirectTV's (even Dish and Time Warner) policies to share your account/login information to take advantage of download content (ie, access to view episodes only available to Dish/DirectTv/TimeWarner subscribers).

So, if KU Chief's is using her friend's login in order to watch episodes she wouldn't normally see, then she is using that information in violation of her friend's contract with the service provider.
Thanks for sharing. I use Comcast and FIOS. They have a similar clause. I wasn't sure about DirectTV.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
I can get behind the fact that music and movies are difficult to pay for. I suggested not watching or listening to them. I never suggested pirating them.

I don't have a problem with your buddy sharing her directTV login with you. If that's what the agreement is between DirectTV and your buddy, cool.

I just want people to be honest, respecting, law-abiding citizens. Respect the constitution, respect other people, and respect capitalism. Behave like an American.
Oh stop your bloviating. You folks make no sense. Hey Welker got another TD never mind. I don't care what you have a problem with. So now anybody who downloads a song on the web isn't an american in your eyes?? Check with the army/navy/AF/marines and see if any of our boys are doing said thing and get back to me hero. Gimme a break. Are you so far gone from reality that you think even Sony your heroes know it goes on and they don't really care because in the end it creates free marketing? Lord have mercy.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

LOL. Yeah go call direct TV. I was using that as an example to show how ridiculous you folks are being and how easy it is to "steal" whatever. I'm just laughing sorry.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I use Comcast and FIOS. They have a similar clause. I wasn't sure about DirectTV.

I've had Comcast, ATT Uverse, TimeWarner, DirectTV and currently am a DishNetwork customer. They all have similar policies concernng account information/access and access to content only available to members.

Hulu.com has ties to many of these service providers, where they can only offer content if you are a subscriber to one of them. You need to provide your account information (by logging into their site) in order to access that content.

By sharing, that member is in violation of his/her contract with the service provider.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
You are a prime example of how you want the government to control the people. Go shove your capitalism I'm against BS where the sun DOES shine. LOL. Hopefully its not copyrighted.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Oh stop your bloviating. You folks make no sense. Hey Welker got another TD never mind. I don't care what you have a problem with. So now anybody who downloads a song on the web isn't an american in your eyes??

Article I, Section 8:

"The Congress shall have power to . . . promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries."

Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
LOL. Yeah go call direct TV. I was using that as an example to show how ridiculous you folks are being and how easy it is to "steal" whatever. I'm just laughing sorry.
Don't have to. The service providers know when accounts are being abused (they do track your logins, from where and what times). This is how a friend of mines' account got canceled with DirecTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies