Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,064,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What about TV shows on regular TV? Something like NCIS. Say I'm not at home on Tues, and my next door neighbour records it, how is it wrong for me to borrow that copy and watch the TV show that comes out for FREE to begin with?
The Court Case That Almost Made It Illegal to Tape TV Shows - Alexis C. Madrigal - The Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:05 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,608,035 times

Key word being ALMOST.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,064,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Key word being ALMOST.
Yep, that happens quite a bit... That's why the court has an odd number of judges.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM

46,823 posts, read 25,751,383 times
Default Ready for the good news?

There IS, in fact, an economic mechanism that lets people make movies and not care about getting paid as much as a dime by those who enjoy said movies. It's just that everybody hates it.

Care to guess?

It's product placement. That's money in the bank, up front, and if you get enough of it in the movie, you can basically hand the content out for free. It's just that it makes for horrible moviemaking.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,885,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why is it hard for many to comprehend the difference? Theft leads to lost to a producer. Piracy is does not affect the profit margin of a producer.

Yes, it does.

It means that I have to lower the quality of my next release, because I have less money to pay for printed materials and distribution.

It means that I'll have to raise the price of the games I produce, because each unit that is pirated is one that hasn't been paid for.

It means that the higher price-point further reduces per-unit sales (because 'who wants to pay 30.00 for a game that they could just get for free from a friend?')

It means that when I finally manage to release something, it's an embarrassment because the profit lost from piracy forced me to compromise in too many areas.

Don't tell me that I don't lose out against piracy.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,890,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, what were they thinking?

"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries."

Bunch of yahoos.
To say science would stop because there would be no residual mechanism in place is not only a flat out lie...it still fails to make any substantiated claim as to how thoughts are property.

And about the last part..you can ad-lib that to..

"Securing the future of litigious patent trolling and deterring anybody from usefully bettering their product or invention for x period of years and in turn ensuring people fall on the sword because of it"

Old 10-19-2013, 11:12 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,890,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Funny how everyone decided it was absurd... riiight about the same time it became technically possible to steal as much as of it as you want virtually anonymously. Coincidence? If it's so absurd then why does everyone want it so bad? Must be worth something for everyone to start breaking the law to get it, right? Just because they can? Of course it's worth something, otherwise it wouldn't be stolen so rampantly.
No...false.

One example? In the 80's when hip-hip producers would sample pieces of published arrangements off vinyl...the recording industry had a whole entity DEDICATED to finding artists who sampled these records so all parties involved could cash in on the royalties.

This was well before the advent of file sharing as a norm.

And it is total BS.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:59 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,644,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Yes, it does.

It means that I have to lower the quality of my next release, because I have less money to pay for printed materials and distribution.

It means that I'll have to raise the price of the games I produce, because each unit that is pirated is one that hasn't been paid for.

It means that the higher price-point further reduces per-unit sales (because 'who wants to pay 30.00 for a game that they could just get for free from a friend?')

It means that when I finally manage to release something, it's an embarrassment because the profit lost from piracy forced me to compromise in too many areas.

Don't tell me that I don't lose out against piracy.

What you described has nothing to do with theft.

If someone downloads a song, there's no guarantee he would otherwise buy the single had he not.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,250,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What you described has nothing to do with theft.
that is what theft does. It shifts the burden of costs to others who did the responsible thing of PAYING for the item they wanted. Making goods higher in cost, or more expensive to make.

Quote:
If someone downloads a song, there's no guarantee he would otherwise buy the single had he not.
If the person is downloading it in the first place, THAT MEANS they wanted it. END OF STORY.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,644,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
that is what theft does. It shifts the burden of costs to others who did the responsible thing of PAYING for the item they wanted. Making goods higher in cost, or more expensive to make.

If the person is downloading it in the first place, THAT MEANS they wanted it. END OF STORY.

Proof that piracy has made movies and music more expensive to produce?

Wanting something is not the same of getting something. I want a condo on South Beach, but that doesn't mean I can get it. A desire for a commodity doesn't automatically convert to a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies