Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the words "Under God" be removed from Pledge of Allegiance?
Yes, remove it 42 53.16%
No, keep it 30 37.97%
No opinion/don't care 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think this is what liberalism is all about, being the loudest, most demanding child in the room.
There are plenty of loudmouthed idiots on both sides of the fence. They also make up about 90% of the people who post in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Atheists are the Progressives SS soldiers.

Quote:
The problem is newer generations being pulled away from those beliefs on PURPOSE!
So what you are saying is that those in the "newer generations" are too stupid to make up their own minds and form their own beliefs about religion. Got it.

Quote:
All these lawsuits brought by atheist groups are nothing more than Fanatical Left wing activism.
Yeah...there have never been religious fanatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
What about the 90% of Americans who believe in God?
What about them? No one is advocating for taking away anyone's beliefs here. If one believes that removing, "under god" from the pledge somehow damages their faith...then their faith probably is pretty weak to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is no "Church of the US" is there ?
No. But there are a fair number of people who seem to have the belief that god is both an American and a Republican.

Quote:
It's called analysis and critical thinking..two aspects sorely missing from K-12 these days.
And some people want to remove critical thinking and analysis from our schools to an even greater extent by insisting that fairy tales are equivalent to science.

"I pledge allegiance...to Queen Fragg...and her mighty state of hysteria..."

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Having "under god" in the pledge doesn't mean that I have to say it. Money still spends with "in god we trust" on it. In all reality neither have the slightest impact on my life.
I'm not sure that that is true. There is a lot of presumption that many dogmatic Christians exhibit associate with their faulty perception of our nation's relationship to God. They even doggedly content that their own personal conception of God is somehow the conception of God that is somehow applicable to American daily life, even though many of the founders of our nation were people of my religion and therefore our current conception of God is the most honest analog to the God of our founders.

The insinuations I'm referring to manifest in myriad ways. Earlier in the thread someone listed some of the most contentious issues of our time. Dogmatic Christians are apparently duped or self-deluded into thinking their God dictates the manner those issues should be addressed, when the honorable reality is that everyone's own conception of God rightfully prevails with regard to those issues as they pertain to each individual. But trying to get a dogmatic Christian to admit that their dogma applies only to themselves is like trying to cut a massive stone in half with a toothpick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Why not?
What I believe he means is that we're not a nation under his personal conception of God. That much is certain.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:46 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Default Reading comprehension

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoogeSampler View Post
So, having to recite the pledge, that contains the words "Under God", is a direct link between Church and State?
If saying the country is "under god" is not directly linking the State to a well recognized church doctrine (one god), then what is?

Last edited by Beaconowner; 09-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Those words were not part of the original pledge, they were added in the 1950s.

Republicans keep shouting and wailing that we should return to the original constitution; they should back this effort to reinstate the original pledge.
I fail to see the connection. The pledge of allegiance is not a part of the constitution.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 10,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
If saying the country is "under god" is not directly linking the State to a well recognized church doctrine (one god), then what is?
Having the schools run by the churches would be a link between Church and State. Saying two words, even if one is "God", is no link. Also, which church doctrine do we recognize in the pledge?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
If anything, its the persecution complex from the "war on christianity" that is childish. It must be so hard being the 75% majority and having your God's words on public buildings, and having our politicians telling us they answer to God's law before the US laws. What an oppresive regime we live under.

Maybe the oppressed are the atheists who, by law, can't even hold office in 7 states.
Hear, hear. Well and truly spoken.

Quote:
Many people are fearful of the word "God" and what it stands for.
It's part of a growing movement to turn the US secular.
With no religion and no reference to any religious deity then government can be your "god".

Religious people can go off and live in the shadows and have no voice in politics.
Quote:
...I don't want to be a criminal for following my religious beliefs.
These are really overly dramatic, egregious statements. Complete baseless nonsense really.

The whole idea that Christians ae some kind of marginalized, persecuted group in this country would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic and dishonest.

First off, better than 70% of people in the US self-identify as Christians. Then take into account the fact you cannot drive six blocks in any little town anywhere in the nation without seeing a church or two, and that's leaving aside the increase in huge mega-churches that seat thousands and thousands of congregants.

Beyond that, Christians have their own publishing companies, radio stations, television networks, advertising firms, record labels, retail chain franchises, clothing lines, etc., etc.

And that is all well and good. That is how it should be. This is a free country and if a group of Christians want to involve themselves in capitalism for profit or ostensibly to spread "The Word" or what have you, that's great! And I'll fight to the death for their right to do so and to have their houses of worship and for them to practice whatever religion they want in whatever way they want as long as it harms nobody else and impinges on nobody else's rights.

But, realizing all these facts, let's not be disingenuous and turn around and try to pretend Christians are some minority with no rights who are treated shabbily or otherwise persecuted. Of all the ridiculous nonsense on the internet (and I think we can all agree that's a LOT of ridiculous nonsense) this is among the most ridiculous and nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who is getting rid of religion? We just don't want any one religion governing the country. Also, why would you be a criminal for following any one religion? Who is trying to make religion a crime? Do you notice your own holes in your statements?
Seriously.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
These are really overly dramatic, egregious statements. Complete baseless nonsense really. The whole idea that Christians are some kind of marginalized, persecuted group in this country would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic and dishonest.
Feigning victimization is the latest in a series of thoroughly disreputable tactics dogmatic Christians are employing to try to safeguard their unconstitutional advantages and others reflections of where the majority has insinuated its beliefs into secular life instead of allowing each person to live their own lives, and therefore make their own belief-related choices in the secular space, in accordance with their own beliefs.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Hear, hear. Well and truly spoken.

These are really overly dramatic, egregious statements. Complete baseless nonsense really.

Seriously.
Tell that to the numerous people who are currently being sued and/or investigated for discrimination regarding gay weddings.

Tell that to the employers who were brought to court to force them to pay for contraceptives for their employees, telling them they weren't a Church so they had to comply.

You don't know what my line in the sand is do you ?

There's plenty of "base" in what is going on.

NH is now considering a bill that allows people to discriminate based on their religious beliefs without fear of lawsuit.
The line between civil and social has blurred.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
It matters not to me. It was not in the original pledge.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Tell that to the numerous people who are currently being sued and/or investigated for discrimination regarding gay weddings.
A busines owner has the right to be discriminatory if they wish. They have the right to refuse service to someone, for example, based on the fact their pesonal religious ideology clashes with that of the potential patron.

Just as if I were to refuse to serve people with certain disabilities, or people who had visible tattoos, green mohawks and face piercings.

Conversely, those people have a right to attempt legal recourse by trying to sue those business owners.

This is how it has always been.

Quote:
There's plenty of "base" in what is going on.
You couldn't be more wrong. Completely and utterly baseless. Just because a movement within a specific religious group can't successfully push for, say, creationist nonsense to be taught in public schools alongside science, or can't refuse service to certain people based on their private lifestyle or personal gender preferences without possible repercussions is not only nothing new, it isn't in any way persecution or marginalization. That's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies