Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
How to curb School violence is a controversial subject.
It is getting out of hand; whether it is mental instability in students who are not getting the attention they need or bullied kids out for revenge or gang activity in schools.
It is NOT out of hand. School violence, in spite of what you see on internet news today, continues to decline over time.

School-Associated Student Homicides --- United States, 1992--2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Based on the news footage they just walked a handcuffed adult back into the school to be IDed along with a couple handcuffed students. They're saying that this started yesterday because of a school bus dispute and it fired back up this morning.
You can be in high school until you turn 26 now in many states.
Pretty sad huh ?

I've only seen HS students as old as 22 myself. It depends how many times you've been left back over the years.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
How to curb School violence is a controversial subject.
It is getting out of hand; whether it is mental instability in students who are not getting the attention they need or bullied kids out for revenge or gang activity in schools.
In 2013 everyone wants to be famous & no one wants to work for it. A killing spree gets you on TV instantly. The pros will analyze you, talk about what makes you tick, talk about your childhood, etc. I honestly believe there would be less of this if it didn't make the killers famous.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can be in high school until you turn 26 now in many states.
Pretty sad huh ?

I've only seen HS students as old as 22 myself. It depends how many times you've been left back over the years.
I gotcha but this was a Latino gentlemen that looked to be in his 50s at least, this was certainly not a student.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
In 2013 everyone wants to be famous & no one wants to work for it. A killing spree gets you on TV instantly. The pros will analyze you, talk about what makes you tick, talk about your childhood, etc. I honestly believe there would be less of this if it didn't make the killers famous.
Sociologists have called it "social revenge".

Old 09-04-2013, 09:39 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
KHOU is reporting that a number of parents who were on site at the time of the altercation have been released from a lock down area they were put in and those parents are saying that the suspects (5 or more) aren't evens students at the school. They showed up specifically to start a fight.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I gotcha but this was a Latino gentlemen that looked to be in his 50s at least, this was certainly not a student.
Oh, now that's interesting.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
KHOU is reporting that a number of parents who were on site at the time of the altercation have been released from a lock down area they were put in and those parents are saying that the suspects (5 or more) aren't evens students at the school. They showed up specifically to start a fight.
Ah, might just be one of those "extended family" brawls. You know, the family that slays together stays together....

Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Quote:
And now the truth.

Young Black man that was slain was 16, the one who is charged with his murder is a 17 year old Hispanic fella. Both were students at the school. There were a few others who were stabbed (3 I believe), all are recovering- and again, all were students at Spring High.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:51 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is NOT out of hand. School violence, in spite of what you see on internet news today, continues to decline over time.

School-Associated Student Homicides --- United States, 1992--2006

^^^^^This. I replied in another thread about this, but this thread is the more appropriate one to reply in.

For some reason a lot of people are under the impression that schools are just "SO CRAZY!!!" etc now, as if school violence just magically appeared out of nowhere sometime starting around 1999 (Columbine). That's not the case at all. I think it's noteworthy because such misconceptions lead to excessive security at schools sometimes, and yes, you can have too much of it.

Our school is a small little place in the middle of the boonies. K-12 are on 1 single campus. There are no dress codes. When I go there to drop something off, the people in the office most-times after seeing me just let me go to the classroom without an ID badge or anyone following me etc. My wife once dropped something off she didn't even tell anyone at the office, she just walked right to the classroom and no one thought anything of it. I want it to STAY that way, I don't want them over-reacting to this or Sandy Hook and turning our little rinky-dink out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere school into Ft Knox. It's not necessary and it's inconvenient--and yes, I think that matters. Convenience is not the enemy of safety.

The worst-ever school mass murder, care to guess which incident it was & when it occurred? It wasn't Virginia Tech or Sandy Hook or Columbine. The worst-ever was the Bath School Disaster and it happened in 1927. To put it in perspective this was before Clint Eastwood was born, before the Great Depression, in-between WWI and WWII.

Based on the readings I've done about it, in the aftermath, they didn't freak out and turn schools into prisons. They rebuilt the school, which had been blown up, right on the exact same spot. They didn't overdo the security at the school. They didn't start requiring all of this nonsense that pesters people and slows things down and destroys the atmosphere of trusting our neighbors etc as they do now.

People would do well to remember that, vs voting-in metal detectors and body scanners and people freaking out if you show up & don't have an ID badge etc when you're the parent of your kid's school and you wish to feel welcome and TRUSTED by those who are educating your children.

LRH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies