U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM

820 posts, read 406,176 times
My wife was a school teacher in Flint last year when they announced the ObamaCare stuff that would be starting in 2014. The school informed her that it would be cheaper for them to pay a $2000 fine per teacher and not offer ANY insurance than it would be to give the teachers the healthcare that ObamaCare required.

So basically, the school was going to spend thousands of dollars in order to NOT give their employees healthcare, just because of ObamaCare.

Remember, schools are publicly funded by tax payers, so basically all ObamaCare is doing is reducing the amount of money that schools have to spend on programs they actually need for the kids...

GJGE ObamaCare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM

9,564 posts, read 2,752,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
ehealthinsurance doesn't quote anything past the end of the year so it's quoting you old policies that won't exist in 2014.

The Covered California site is working for me but I don't qualify for subsidies.

For me the Silver Blue Cross plan is exactly the same price in the CA exchange as the closest current Blue Cross plan on ehealthinsurance but the exchange plan annual deductible is $$500 more and the annual out of pocket expense is $2300 a year more. This sounds bad until you consider that in the last few years I've developed 2 "pre existing conditions" and wouldn't even qualify for the rate on ehealthinsurance. Closer is the cost of COBRA that I will be offered soon, the deductible will still be $500 higher but the montly premium is cut in half. I'm one of those people who benefit from all this, sorry everyone else.
The policies will still exist in 2014 unless they are high deductible HSA plans, but I'm not able to compare any details because the coveredca website isn't working for me. I can see prices, but that's it.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The policies will still exist in 2014 unless they are high deductible HSA plans, but I'm not able to compare any details because the coveredca website isn't working for me. I can see prices, but that's it.
I'm pretty sure all plans will change to accommodate the new requirements that kick in January 1, 2014. They may have the same name but some benefits will be different.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
My wife was a school teacher in Flint last year when they announced the ObamaCare stuff that would be starting in 2014. The school informed her that it would be cheaper for them to pay a $2000 fine per teacher and not offer ANY insurance than it would be to give the teachers the healthcare that ObamaCare required.

So basically, the school was going to spend thousands of dollars in order to NOT give their employees healthcare, just because of ObamaCare.

Remember, schools are publicly funded by tax payers, so basically all ObamaCare is doing is reducing the amount of money that schools have to spend on programs they actually need for the kids...

GJGE ObamaCare
So, are they actually going to drop everyone's health insurance and pay fines or is this just blablabla? I'd love to look it up and read all about it.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,027,560 times
You know the ACA is going to be a disaster when the Obama administration asks Hollyweird to start promoting it.

Two of the least credible groups in the country --- why not have used car salesmen start pitiching it on TV?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM

5,409 posts, read 1,967,915 times
Quote:

GJGE ObamaCare
They are going to drop their current insurance or they never offered employee insurance in the first place?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM

41,643 posts, read 44,893,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I XYZ, giving all kinds of doom/praise/incorrect info and what not. I would like this thread to be a repository of what your actual personal experience is because of the Affordable Care Act.

Here was mine today:

In order to educate myself, I just went to the California exchange website. The second question asked was income, without that, you got no help. I put in my actual numbers, and the screen went blank except for a prompt to contact MediCAL, now keep in mind with that same income number, I have no problem maintaining a private policy of my own. So just for fun, I increase my monthly income by $1000, I was, at that point supposedly allowed to see coverage options. Well, I was given a list of 2 coverage levels, but it was a pop-up over a table of 6-8 insurance companies and what their premium would be. First I closed the pop up and the site made me start all over. after going through the second time, I called acting like it was a glitch. I was informed that I would not be allowed access to actual monthly premium amounts. If I was to get insurance via the exchange, I would have to go to the office in person with all my financial, lease, bill, check book, bank statements, because "they just want to help". I was told outright, that, via the exchange, I could not just get a premium and buy the policy.
Sounds like the first amount was too low to buy subsidized coverage on the exchanges. You were told to apply for Medicaid since states cover part of that cost.To compare cost of present to mandated coverage you need to check details. If they saw you applied and entered suspicious info then they should suspect possible fraud. Medicaid will require documentation and exchanges info will be cross checked thru IRS and other sources. Medicaid always has required verifiable info and signing up in person. Remember its the state that setup the exchanges site under federal mandates on who qualifies for what. Sounds like you will not meet requirement of income level to buy in the state exchanges as subsidy level would be too high and above Medicaid cost to cover you since its paid for by both state and federal governments.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 PM

41,643 posts, read 44,893,785 times
Quote:

GJGE ObamaCare
There are a lot of changes coming in Obamacare. In 2018 if your employer pays over a certain amount to your or families coverage then you pay a excise tax on overage allowed. With the AVERAGE contribution by employer to individual being 13K in 2012 that can be much higher in so called Cadillac plans. Formerly it was a nice tax loophole to increase income. Also some articles say it might be cheaper to file for exchange subsidized coverage of depends than buy thru employer even with employer contribution at some income levels with the employer limit before excise tax kicks in. I don't see now paying less means less money to spend kids programs tho.Obama care does not require employers to pay for all the cost after all and it limits amount they can contribute and you pay no tax on benefit overage. allowed. It levels the playing field of what benefits everyone can gets tax free to same level. That is part of the funding the bill.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 AM

9,564 posts, read 2,752,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm pretty sure all plans will change to accommodate the new requirements that kick in January 1, 2014. They may have the same name but some benefits will be different.
Most of the new requirements are already in place.

Lifetime limit - unlimited
Preexisting conditions - check
Spend at least 85% on medical expenses - check - There were reports of people getting refunds

Most of the other requirements are on employers and individuals.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 AM
bUU

5,978 posts, read 2,274,501 times
Quote:
The ACA requires significant changes to guaranteed issue laws. Beginning January 1, 2014, all individual and group health plans must guarantee issue policies to all applicants, regardless of health status or other factors.
Full article: Health Insurance Market Reforms: Guaranteed Issue | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies