Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
That's a very odd case. Your brother was so overpaid he was forced to get a higher paying job?
it was an experience thing. he was working and making good money but he hated his job. he then started teaching, and loved it. he thought it was the best job ever. after he had his first kid, his wife stopped working. he had to go back to doing what he had experience with. he was relatively new to teaching.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
So this entire thread has absolutely no connection at all with your lot in life, it's simply to complain for the sake of complaining about something you're neither associated with nor want to be associated with.
This is why it's so strange to me. Perfectly content people don't complain about what others have. The only, ONLY, way I could see that happening is if that person is a total elitist and even in that case it ultimately boils down to a type of insecurity. (Why should YOU be as content as ME!?!?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
So basically, having less teachers is the reason this thread exists.
Pretty much.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually 'teachers' tend to be underpaid...its the school administrators that are overpaid
That I can agree with. It also depends on where you live. Teachers here are very well compensated compared to the state I came from.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
This is why it's so strange to me. Perfectly content people don't complain about what others have. The only, ONLY, way I could see that happening is if that person is a total elitist and even in that case it ultimately boils down to a type of insecurity. (Why should YOU be as content as ME!?!?!)

Pretty much.
it has more to do with it being "back to school time" and if I see another post from a teacher friend on FB about how hard their job is, or how they are underpaid, I am going to strangle someone. but instead of violence, I post a thread about how good they have it instead.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
it has more to do with it being "back to school time" and if I see another post from a teacher friend on FB about how hard their job is, or how they are underpaid, I am going to strangle someone. but instead of violence, I post a thread about how good they have it instead.

So you are claiming ignorance?
Please don't take offense to that, obviously you in your self education know that the definition of ignorance is "lack of knowledge or information". And since you have not yet told us about all the years you spent as a teacher, you can in no way dispute your facebook teacher friend's claims to being underpaid or having a hard job.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Well, considering that you are not a teacher nor have you ever been, you really don't know what it's like to be a teacher, right?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
I am not making a claim, I am stating a fact. teachers in montgomery county, maryland make just under $50,000 a year. do you not have google?
According to this link:
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/u...ule_FY2014.pdf
It would be 46,410 for 10 months or 54,531 for 12 months. 10 months is more than half a year.

It doesn't seem to qualify as overpaid to me.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
I have been racking my brain, and I can't think of another. I mean, outside the realm of the entertainment industry. yet time and time again, it's teachers that are the most vocal about being underpaid, whatever that really means. underpaid compared to what I often wonder. so can anyone think of a profession more overpaid than teaching?
Nobody is overpaid or underpaid. If you voluntarily accept a job then you aren't underpaid. And if an employer voluntarily offers compensation to someone, then that person isn't overpaid. Nobody from athletes with their hundred million dollar contracts down to Walmart employees making minimum wage is overpaid or underpaid. They are paid exactly what they and their employer agreed to.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:33 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
As an overtaxed Long Islander in a district that spends $37,000 per student with mediocre results, speaking for my state which is unionized, I give a resounding YES, our teachers and administrators are over-paid. The average teacher's salary in my district is $109,000. We have a gym teacher making $150,000 and a number of Kindergarten teachers earning $125-130,000. Our Superintendent makes $300,000 plus unbelievable benefits. Enough is enough! Put a $100,000 cap on a 182 day salary. These are government jobs. If things keep going at this rate, the only people left who are able to buy a home on LI will be teachers and cops!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Nobody is overpaid or underpaid. If you voluntarily accept a job then you aren't underpaid. And if an employer voluntarily offers compensation to someone, then that person isn't overpaid. Nobody from athletes with their hundred million dollar contracts down to Walmart employees making minimum wage is overpaid or underpaid. They are paid exactly what they and their employer agreed to.
PUBLIC school teachers are paid by the PUBLIC. Big difference between a school district and Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies