Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Isn't City-Data a ghetto tracker? Detailed info by zip code. Complete demographic info. Income. Housing stats. What's different?
Shh, they will be calling you a racist pretty soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Wall Street is doing okay because the government is printing $85 BILLION DOLLARS a month....the mere mention from the fed sent stocks plummeting a few months ago.

obama got quite a bit of that money during his 2012 campaign.
Agreed. Many of those companies would have folded if it wasn't for the bailout.

I'm Independent and definitely don't believe Democrats are all about solving this country's problems.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
Just ignore him as he's an Occutard. Reality won't convince him of anything.
The irony eh?

I'm an entrepreneur. Not that that makes me any better than anybody else

Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Sorry folks, this middle age woman who has had the "privilege" of a GPS taking her through the sketchy side of a unfamiliar city while driving alone, will be happy to get this kind of app. For heaven's sake, crime-heavy areas ARE places to be categorically avoided. Why would I voluntarily subject myself to a place where I am more likely to be a victim of crime?

Thats great, considering that since crime does not stay in one area you can be the victim OUTSIDE of a poor neighborhood

Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 PM

When I was a kid, I remember whenever we visited a new city, after touring all of the tourist attractions and the nicer parts of the city, he would always drive us through the "hood" to show us what the other side lived like.

Instead of further isolating our problems, we should be doing more to fix our communities.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I'm not even sure how one can argue against the usefulness of such an app.
They can't, which is why they once again have resorted to crying 'racism'
(like the boy who cried 'wolf' it gets real old after a while).

Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
also, what is the methodology behind this.

can some white just say one city is a ghetto and label it a ghetto, making it a ghetto on the app?

the app is dependent upon others saying it is a ghetto, not on statistical analysis already added onto the app.

its a white peoples yelp for avoiding non white areas, simple as that.

the problem is it's not based on stats.

it's based on joe whitey, who may or not be trolling on the app with his ghetto reccomendation.

this is my reccomendation to white people. again im stereotyping, because it is white people who believe they will be safe downloading these stupid apps.

1. preplan your drive.

2. print out a copy of your route and bring it with.

3. if you are so scared of leaving your white enclave for another city, research your destination city and look at official crime stats of different parts of the city, which is available on any state government website.
Pretty much, the answer to the first question is yes. People just post about their impressions. There is no statistical analysis or empirical data to back anything up. Once more people post on the new site about places others are familiar with, we'll be able to evaluate the validity of the information. For example, there is a posting now on the site's forum about Iowa City, IA that lists several "dangerous" neighborhoods. Seriously?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
There's a sticky on the NYC forum for neighborhood safety map — gauged by safety walking around at night. Someone mentioned it'd be a good iPhone app. The residents of areas labelled "bad" didn't mind (most of them minorities), and gave helpful adjustments based on their experiences. So, no it's not based on Joe Whitey.

NYC Safety Maps

Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Compared Ghetto Tracker results for NYC with the NYC CD forum version (and my own experience). Ghetto Tracker is misleading and incomplete. It's based off whoever adds input. Some jokers decided to rate Midtown Manhattan (including JP Morgan's building) and the Upper West and East Sides as "unsafe" or "below average". A project building in the South Bronx is rate as "average", average compared to what? Other projects in the South Bronx?! A few neighborhood ratings are miles away from the location they claim to rate. A lot of the ratings don't make much sense and there a large gaps.

I'd recommend any traveler to NYC use the CD one not the Ghetto Tracker one, which seems useless.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Stupid app... crime apps and crime maps work good but this app is inconsistent.

Most of the people obsessed with crime maps never go anywhere to begin with...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies