Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times

Advertisements

Quite astute observation by a poster in the elections forum (see post 15):
http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-2016-a-2.html

Quote:
Obama might be a terrible President and/or Commander In Chief but he's an excellent strategist. His Syria strategy (politically speaking) is actually brilliant. He has put himself in a win-win situation no matter how the vote goes down in Congress.
And it's an observation I have not heard from any of the high-powered, 6-figure-salaried national sages and experts.

If the vote goes against him, he can wash his hands of the whole thing, spew some lofty stuff about respecting the legislative branch, and he's covered. The onus is on Congress (read: house republicans) for anything that goes bad in Syria from that point on.

If the vote is yes, then now he has a partner with whom to share blame if things go wrong. Again he's covered. If something goes wrong he can say something like: we knew there was risk going in; we knew it was not going to be easy; that's why I was careful to go through the process of getting a consensus. And now that we have a consensus, we must stay the course, and finish the job.

Much of media, even MSM, portrays Obama as a V8 firing on 4 cylinders, with no strategy, no endgame, no coherence, feckless and rudderless. Could it be that he actually knows exactly what he's doing, and is dumb like a fox?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
The country is in a LOSE situation if we stick our nose yet again somewhere it doesn't belong. Who gives a rat's ass what politicians may benefit from that misdeed?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
I guess - if all you care about when it comes to an act of war is being able to blame someone else. I'm still not sure if that's enough to erase the memory of how he has bungled this episode.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Actually Obama is an amazing politician and strategist, which is how he wins elections, was able to get Obamacare passed, and how he will handle Syria.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I guess - if all you care about when it comes to an act of war is being able to blame someone else. I'm still not sure if that's enough to erase the memory of how he has bungled this episode.
Hell, there's been bungled episodes over the last 50 years that aren't erased from memory. What else can be expected when party-first political hacks dominate decision making on both sides of the aisle?

People speak of political saviors, IMO the one we need is the man/woman with a viable plan to destroy the two party system.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Obama is nothing more nor less than an unprincipled, underhanded, Chicago thug politician. That's what his adherents and worshipers are too blind and totally partisan to recognize and/or admit.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:55 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Obama keeps making it worse for himself.

He agree's to allow the Congress to vote but he leaves open the option of attacking anyway.

Obama REFUSES to rule out striking Syria without approval of Congress as it's revealed he faces a huge loss in House vote

Obama plans to address Americans on Tuesday as he's set to lose big in House vote and a White House aide hints that he won't strike Syria without Congress | Mail Online

So obviously he thinks he can do whatever he wants, Congress or not. You can't take that position and then blame Congress especially if a large portion of your party votes against you.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama keeps making it worse for himself.

He agree's to allow the Congress to vote but he leaves open the option of attacking anyway.

Obama REFUSES to rule out striking Syria without approval of Congress as it's revealed he faces a huge loss in House vote

Obama plans to address Americans on Tuesday as he's set to lose big in House vote and a White House aide hints that he won't strike Syria without Congress | Mail Online

So obviously he thinks he can do whatever he wants, Congress or not. You can't take that position and then blame Congress especially if a large portion of your party votes against you.
From that same aide:

Quote:
"The president of course has the authority to act, but it’s neither his desire, nor his intention, to use that authority absent Congress backing him."

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hell, there's been bungled episodes over the last 50 years that aren't erased from memory. What else can be expected when party-first political hacks dominate decision making on both sides of the aisle?

People speak of political saviors, IMO the one we need is the man/woman with a viable plan to destroy the two party system.
Right again! Completely agree.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Quite astute observation by a poster in the elections forum (see post 15):
http://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...-2016-a-2.html

And it's an observation I have not heard from any of the high-powered, 6-figure-salaried national sages and experts.

If the vote goes against him, he can wash his hands of the whole thing, spew some lofty stuff about respecting the legislative branch, and he's covered. The onus is on Congress (read: house republicans) for anything that goes bad in Syria from that point on.

If the vote is yes, then now he has a partner with whom to share blame if things go wrong. Again he's covered. If something goes wrong he can say something like: we knew there was risk going in; we knew it was not going to be easy; that's why I was careful to go through the process of getting a consensus. And now that we have a consensus, we must stay the course, and finish the job.

Much of media, even MSM, portrays Obama as a V8 firing on 4 cylinders, with no strategy, no endgame, no coherence, feckless and rudderless. Could it be that he actually knows exactly what he's doing, and is dumb like a fox?
I don't think so. It is hard to tell who is calling the shots on Syria. Is it the defense industry, oil interests, Israel, sunni-dominated states in the ME? I don't know. Whoever is pulling Obama's strings is not doing it in the best interests of the US. Obama should be able to figure this out, but his failure to do so (or to act in our interests in spite of the pressures) convinces me that there is nothing foxlike at all about him. He s just a dupe like Johnson and Bush before him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies