Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Hey Rambo there are over 200 million guns floating around in the US, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think most of the time the criminal kills the victims rather than the other way around. What gives? Everybody who wants a gun has one and the criminals are still winning. More than likely a person is killed or raped by someone who knows them well enough to not be afraid that you will shoot them first.

I have worked with men in Maximum security prison, youth offenders, last year I was mulling over an offer to work with sex offenders or criminally insane inmates who are never going to see the outside. Sounds like a blast. In my old neighborhood about one person a week gets killed and more than gets shot and its not “the big city” When I go to my family reunions there’s always at least one person who’s done time for murder or somebody who just got out after twenty years.

These kinds of guys don’t really want to kill you; they just don’t care if you get killed in the process of them getting what they want. One of my relatives shot a bunch of people after doing eight years for murder another relative was killed by a guy who got out that very day. You best bet is to keep packing your heat around those soccer moms, skate rats and mall kids in the burbs.
FIRST, PLEASE POINT TO AND CITE EVIDENCE TO STATS WHERE FIREARM OWNERS ARE USUALLY KILLED WHEN THEY'RE IN AN ALTERCATION WITH A CRIMINAL?

YOU ALL KEEP MAKING BASELESS CLAIMS AFTER CLAIMS TO SUPPORT A FLAWED ARGUMENT.

ALSO, GUN SALES HAVE GONE UP, BUT CRIME HAS GONE DOWN ACCORDING TO THE LIBRAL WASHINGTON POST, SO YOU'VE BEEN CAUGHT IN ANOTHER LIE! HOW CAN YOU SAY CRIMINALS ARE WINNING WHEN CRIME IN DECLINING? HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT GUN OWNERSHIP ISN'T SAVING LIVES WHEN I'VE ALREADY POSTED PROOF VIA YOUTUBE VIDEOS AND WHEN CRIME IS HAPPENING IN STATES WHERE MORE PEOPLE ARE UNARMED?

LOL have you ever watched the the TV show The First 48? Do you watch the news? These people kill for the hell of it, and there are plenty of instances when they have done so after they've gotten what they wanted. Your solution to the crime problem is to accept it because you think criminals are winning? Should we stop prosecuting and fighting a drug war because a lot of drugs are still getting through? Should we stop fighting the war on terror because we're still being attracted? It does not matter if some of the criminals do not want to kill people; what matters is that some do. Are you going to wait until it's too late to find out what kind of criminal is raping, robbing, and breaking into your home? Are you so pig headed that you refuse to recognize how completely idiotic that sounds?

Last edited by DoniDanko; 09-08-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A couple. Are you going to be the one to tell the little kids who get raped that they could have prevented it if they'd had a gun?

How about the surgeons sewing them up and repairing the damage? Are you the person who is going to pop into the operating rooms and say, "You know, Doc. If that two-year old had a Colt this never would have happened."
I think they should start castrating and it just might send a powerful message.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
The best way to prevent rape is to put into the minds of males that rape is NOT an option and NO means NO.

Any questions?
Yet many men don't get this answer NO goes with sex and other things. This tells me some men didn't have a decent dad or mom who showed them how to respect women.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 15,407 times
@thriftylefty:

When do the criminals succeed and when do they fail? In which situations who has firearms and who doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty
Everybody who wants a gun has one and the criminals are still winning.
How do you define "winning"? What is "winning" and what is "losing"?

Quote:
More than likely a person is killed or raped by someone who knows them well enough to not be afraid that you will shoot them first.
This is completely based upon the personality of the victim. Some people will shoot anyone who tries to rape them. Some people won't. It doesn't matter if some people won't shoot someone they know. It also doesn't matter if some people don't carry a gun. We, as individuals, make the choices we make and IF you "have it in you" employing a gun against your potential rapist (whether you know them or not) is a proven method to prevent or stop the rape.

Quote:
In my old neighborhood about one person a week gets killed and more than gets shot and its not “the big city” When I go to my family reunions there’s always at least one person who’s done time for murder or somebody who just got out after twenty years.
How does people getting shot invalidate the assertion that guns can be employed to protect yourself against rape? Doesn't the fact that people are getting shot prove that guns can be used to stop others? Doesn't that same fact support that law-abiding citizens shouldn't give up that advantage that criminals successfully employ every week?

It also sounds like you have a family with criminals in it. I assert this makes you biased. Why would someone who is related to criminals want anyone to be able to wound or kill their family members? I think you should consider your perspective and how it might differ from people who aren't related to criminals.

Quote:
I chose to stay away from them.
And when criminals come to you?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagUdspEllr View Post
@thriftylefty:

When do the criminals succeed and when do they fail? In which situations who has firearms and who doesn't?

How do you define "winning"? What is "winning" and what is "losing"?

This is completely based upon the personality of the victim. Some people will shoot anyone who tries to rape them. Some people won't. It doesn't matter if some people won't shoot someone they know. It also doesn't matter if some people don't carry a gun. We, as individuals, make the choices we make and IF you "have it in you" employing a gun against your potential rapist (whether you know them or not) is a proven method to prevent or stop the rape.

How does people getting shot invalidate the assertion that guns can be employed to protect yourself against rape? Doesn't the fact that people are getting shot prove that guns can be used to stop others? Doesn't that same fact support that law-abiding citizens shouldn't give up that advantage that criminals successfully employ every week?

It also sounds like you have a family with criminals in it. I assert this makes you biased. Why would someone who is related to criminals want anyone to be able to wound or kill their family members? I think you should consider your perspective and how it might differ from people who aren't related to criminals.
thriftylefty is making things up, and presenting them as fact in order to support his argument.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
FIRST, PLEASE POINT TO AND CITE EVIDENCE TO STATS WHERE FIREARM OWNERS ARE USUALLY KILLED WHEN THEY'RE IN AN ALTERCATION WITH A CRIMINAL?

Every murdered relative whose funeral I attended were known to carry. Haven't you ever heard "walk softly but carry a big stick" rely on your brain and not your gun

Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Every murdered relative whose funeral I attended were known to carry. Haven't you ever heard "walk softly but carry a big stick" rely on your brain and not your gun
Post some proof? You made a huge statement that firearm owners are usually killed when they're in an altercation with a criminal. You said that as if it was an epidemic going on across the country, but when pressed for citations and proof to back it up, you then claim it's only been a few of you murdered relatives... How many of your relatives have been murdered by the way?

If you had any proof, you'd posted it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-09-2013 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 PM

21 posts, read 15,407 times
@thriftylefty:

There are many possibilities your vague statement leaves available.

Were your relatives armed when they were murdered? How did the murder happen? Did they employ their gun? Did the person who murdered them have a gun? Were they outnumbered? I'm sure I'm forgetting many other possibilities but my point has been supported.

So many holes in your argument left open. Furthermore, absolutely none of what you are saying can be verified as true. Finally, I could say that every single person in my family has been attacked and successfully defended their life with their firearm. Does this matter? Nope.

Neither statement has anything to do with invalidating or validating the assertion that having a gun is a good way to protect yourself against rape. Your job as the anti-gun person has to prove that you can't use a gun to protect yourself against rape. You can. You grab your gun and warn, wound, or kill your rapist. This deters or stops the rape. So the assertion stands. Nothing you have said invalidates that argument.

Quote:
Haven't you ever heard "walk softly but carry a big stick" rely on your brain and not your gun
The "stick" is the gun. I see no incongruity with that expression and the pro-gun assertion.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMagUdspEllr View Post
@thriftylefty:

There are many possibilities your vague statement leaves available.

Were your relatives armed when they were murdered? How did the murder happen? Did they employ their gun? Did the person who murdered them have a gun? Were they outnumbered? I'm sure I'm forgetting many other possibilities but my point has been supported.

So many holes in your argument left open. Furthermore, absolutely none of what you are saying can be verified as true. Finally, I could say that every single person in my family has been attacked and successfully defended their life with their firearm. Does this matter? Nope.

Neither statement has anything to do with invalidating or validating the assertion that having a gun is a good way to protect yourself against rape. Your job as the anti-gun person has to prove that you can't use a gun to protect yourself against rape. You can. You grab your gun and warn, wound, or kill your rapist. This deters or stops the rape. So the assertion stands. Nothing you have said invalidates that argument.

The "stick" is the gun. I see no incongruity with that expression and the pro-gun assertion.
It's obvious that he's been making stuff up.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Post some proof? You made a huge statement that firearm owners are usually killed when they're in an altercation with a criminal. You said that as if it was an epidemic going on across the country, but when pressed for citations and proof to back it up, you then claim it's only been a few of you murdered relatives... How many of your relatives have been murdered by the way?

If you had any proof, you'd posted it.
you provide proof
down here on the grouind guns are not so sexy , did You know you soil your pants when you get shot?

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-09-2013 at 04:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies