Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 12:12 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I believe what the Constitutions says. That a well armed Militia is is necessary to the security of free people. If you want to use a gun, join the military.
I believe what it says as well.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Using standard grammar rules, the highlighted portion is the reason the right exists not a requirement. There are no other Amendments in the Bill of Rights that have a previous requirement before being codified.

Also, if you read Federalist 29 - The Federalist #29 you will find that the militia are the people, not the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
"It was a prank that went bad," said Praveen Lal, whose daughter Premila died at Longmont United Hospital on Friday night after she was shot at a family home at 2531 Cambridge Drive. "It is a kids' prank that went fatal."

Police believe Nerrek Galley, a family friend, shot Premila because he believed an intruder was in the home. He was arrested on suspicion of providing a firearm to a juvenile, child abuse and reckless endangerment, but has not been arrested on suspicion of any charges directly related to the shooting.

Praveen Lal said he was able to briefly speak with Galley at the hospital before his daughter was pronounced dead. He said Galley said he doesn't want to touch another gun, which is a major change of attitude for a man who was interested in shooting and gun ownership.

Longmont shooting victim's father details 'prank that went fatal'
Premila Lal was 'a ray of sunshine everywhere she went'

Well, that is one way of curing gunnuts of their gun addiction. But the body count is going to have to get pretty high before we get them all cured.

46,267 posts, read 27,085,436 times
Quote:
Thats kind of hard to do. Do you have a source that he was prevented from acquiring firearms? A quick Google doesn't bring up any obvious results.
Suspect in massacre tried to buy rifle days before, sources say - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't think juveniles should be possessing loaded firearms.
I agree with that.

So let me know when you're coming over and I'll ensure that they're all in the safe.

Quote:
There must be something mentally wrong with me.
I agree with that, too.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,228 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Quote:
Thats kind of hard to do. Do you have a source that he was prevented from acquiring firearms? A quick Google doesn't bring up any obvious results.
Funny. Mine did. Guess I'm just smarter than the average, obsessed gun hater. Here's one of several. It includes a video so reading comprehension won't be needed. You don't have to bother thanking me.

Reports: Lanza Attempted To Buy Rifle Days Before Shooting, Was Denied | Mediaite
"It was a prank that went bad," said Praveen Lal, whose daughter Premila died at Longmont United Hospital on Friday night after she was shot at a family home at 2531 Cambridge Drive. "It is a kids' prank that went fatal."

Police believe Nerrek Galley, a family friend, shot Premila because he believed an intruder was in the home. He was arrested on suspicion of providing a firearm to a juvenile, child abuse and reckless endangerment, but has not been arrested on suspicion of any charges directly related to the shooting.

Praveen Lal said he was able to briefly speak with Galley at the hospital before his daughter was pronounced dead. He said Galley said he doesn't want to touch another gun, which is a major change of attitude for a man who was interested in shooting and gun ownership.

Longmont shooting victim's father details 'prank that went fatal'
Premila Lal was 'a ray of sunshine everywhere she went'

Well, that is one way of curing gunnuts of their gun addiction. But the body count is going to have to get pretty high before we get them all cured.
Notice how, as soon as you refute a point he was trying to make, he ignores it and changes the subject?

As I said, you're wasing your time, acting like this person is interested in truth.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge there has never been an attempt to repeal the Second Amendment. But I believe we are getting close. More and more people are getting fed up with irresponsible gun owners.
You haven't been watching the trends, then.

All around the country, gun laws have been loosening over the past few decades, not tightening up.

For example:

You're wrong on this, boomer. A few hand-wringing people that are scared of their own shadow are making a bunch of noise, but that's all it is. The trend is clearly moving in the direction of freedom when it comes to guns. If only it were true for other aspects of government encroachment...

Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Notice how, as soon as you refute a point he was trying to make, he ignores it and changes the subject?

As I said, you're wasing your time, acting like this person is interested in truth.
Yeah, but it's fun......Bait hook, cast line, troll, reel in.....repeat!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,562 times
Quote:

Do stupid things and win stupid prizes.

Quote:
Had his daughter died in a car, would he have given up driving?

Quote:
I've had 3 family members have issues with drinking. Two are dead and the third has health issues that cannot be reversed. I still drink socially. I don't blame inanimate objects for people making bad decisions.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You haven't been watching the trends, then.

All around the country, gun laws have been loosening over the past few decades, not tightening up.

For example:

You're wrong on this, boomer. A few hand-wringing people that are scared of their own shadow are making a bunch of noise, but that's all it is. The trend is clearly moving in the direction of freedom when it comes to guns. If only it were true for other aspects of government encroachment...
Maryland is listed as a may issue state. Try to get a CCP there. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The shooter at sandy hook was prohibited from owning a gun, he stole his mothers poorly secured weapons to commit this heinous crime. If his mother had lived, I am certain she would have been charged with some sort of accessory to this crime. She knew he was a head case, but had guns in the house, poorly secured at that.
It's my belief that they were purchased for him - straw purchases. I have nothing to back that up, but I remember hearing something not long after it happened about how the guns were hanging on a wall in his bedroom. Makes sense, from what I know of that family (which is admittedly not a lot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies