Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:46 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why would the police need anything more than 9 rounds? There lies your answer.

My opinion is that anything the police can justify having a citizen can justify and that is not necessarily because I'm concerned about police state.
You're not the police. They have to carry due to the nature of the job. You don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I might not stand a chance individually but the gun owning community as a whole will stand a very good chance. Potential for abuse? So you want a pre-crime unit? My mouth can potentially slander someone, should there be limits placed on it?

What is your proposed magazine limits? 10 rounds? What will limit mag changes? Fast Mag Change AR-15 - YouTube Or should we ban anything with a detachable magazine?
It wasn't a mouth that killed all those children at Sandy Hook. There's a slight difference. And yes, there should be limits.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
No use debating trolls here. Go ahead and forfeit your right to self defense Mike930. I will keep mine, thanks.
Ah, the troll excuse. Spoken like a true "gun nut".

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

People keep asking if we should then take away all knives, etc if someone is killed by one. The damage someone can inflict with a high capacity magazine is far greater than a knife or other means mentioned.
Yet hi-cap magazines and assualt rifles/long guns do the least amount of killing (verifiable by FBI stats).

Why try to take something away that is not part of the problem.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
The GOP is about to lose recall elections here in CO, they're still upset they lost the legislature after dominating it for 40 ye ars. They're using their gun nuts as pawns. But it's fun to see them blow their money for nothing, like in the presidential election.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I see a couple of rational people here, but for the most part the ideas and attitudes are dangerous.

Not one inch, because of that all important slippery slope. And dammit, if the military and police have RPGs, then why can't I?

One of you had the really wacky idea that the standing military is illegal and people should be fined for NOT having guns. Please. If the military was illegal, why hasn't it been declared so by he Supreme Court? Another conspiracy maybe?

After Sandy Hook, the NRA came out against ANY kind of compromise. Who cares about the children that got killed, right? I wonder if some of you were the ones calling the poor parents of the children accusing them of being in a conspiracy to have guns banned.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:04 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
It wasn't a mouth that killed all those children at Sandy Hook. There's a slight difference. And yes, there should be limits.
Charles Manson never shot anyone. He talked a couple of women into killing people for him.
Jim Jones didn't shoot any of the over 900 people he killed that day in Jonestown. He used his mouth to convince them to kill themselves and their 200 children.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 AM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The GOP is about to lose recall elections here in CO, they're still upset they lost the legislature after dominating it for 40 ye ars. They're using their gun nuts as pawns. But it's fun to see them blow their money for nothing, like in the presidential election.
You mean, no dem own guns and this was just a GOP only suggestion?

LOL at your blindness....

Old 09-10-2013, 06:36 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Thanks to all who responded. I see a couple of rational people here, but for the most part the ideas and attitudes are dangerous.

Not one inch, because of that all important slippery slope. And dammit, if the military and police have RPGs, then why can't I?
Firearms owners have compromised time and again, and those compromises have done nothing to prevent violent crime. As one example, the Gun Free Zone Act was a compromise which was actually supported by the NRA, and we now have a higher annual number of school shooting deaths than we ever had before the GFZA was passed.

Quote:
One of you had the really wacky idea that the standing military is illegal and people should be fined for NOT having guns. Please. If the military was illegal, why hasn't it been declared so by he Supreme Court? Another conspiracy maybe?

After Sandy Hook, the NRA came out against ANY kind of compromise. Who cares about the children that got killed, right? I wonder if some of you were the ones calling the poor parents of the children accusing them of being in a conspiracy to have guns banned.
You complain about other people making inflammatory comments and being "irrational", yet you post comments that are inflammatory and irrational? You might want to think about that a bit.

Firearms owners were just as devastated by the Sandy Hook shooting as non-firearms owners. The fact that we didn't immediately agree that the least likely type of firearm to be used in crime should be immediately banned has nothing to do with not caring, it has to do with common sense and the realization that banning so-called "assault weapons" would not stop shootings from occurring. As for the parents of the children at Sandy Hook, I have sympathy for them for 2 reasons: First, that they lost their children due to a senseless act of violence which was performed by someone who should have been institutionalized long before he committed the atrocity. Second, that they became pawns in a political power struggle that never should have happened in the first place. The idea that banning one of the multitude of tools which could possibly be used to commit violence will stop violence is ridiculous.

Our government has a history of trying to prohibit certain things for the "greater good." They tried it with alcohol, and people continued to imbibe. They've tried it with drugs, and we have just as much of a drug problem now as we had before the atrociously wasteful "War on Drugs" was declared. Unless you are foolish enough to believe in the childish fairy tale of "the third time is a charm", you should be able to realize that the true prohibition of anything in America is an impossibility.

You've asked for justification for owning high capacity weapons, and people have given you justification. You've asked for explanations, and people have given you explanations. None of the answers you have been given are acceptable to you, apparently, but that isn't the fault of the people giving you the answers. The ability to accept the answers you have been given is something that only you can control, and apparently your ideology prevents you from realizing that many of the answers you have been given - including "because it is a right" - are perfectly valid answers.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times
Quote:

Why can't I? Unless there is an imminent threat of danger to me or my family, I will not draw blood with a weapon (gun, knife, blunt object, etc). I'm not even a big hunter although I love venison. So really, why can't I own an RPG? I have the land to shoot it on. I will follow the 4 basic rules of gun safety.

I don't put much faith in the Supreme Court. Look at some of the decisions of the past (legal internment of American citizens of Japanese, German and Italian heritage is the worst) and tell me they are 100% correct every time. The Constitution is clear that a standing Navy is called for. We can argue semantics that the Army isn't the same so why not put them all under a Navy commander?

I am still against any and all compromises. In fact, I agree with Publius Huldah Publius Huldah Powerful Speech: All Federal Gun Control Is Unlawful - YouTube that "shall not be infringed" means exactly that. The people that called those parents are not nice. That's the best description without having this post hit with the auto-censor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies