Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 AM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times

Advertisements

What is America's post cold war role in the world?

That's a question I think the U.S needs to get clear on. Not being clear on what our role is can get us in situations like Syria and other conflicts that we probably shouldn't be in.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
First of all we have to recognize that current US politics is not compatible with long term undertakings like Iraq and Afghanistan. At one time we were more united and partisan politics did tend to stop at waters' edge, but that is no longer the case. Democrats smelled weakness and went after Bush on the basis of partisanship re Iraq, and let's face it, R's are doing the same thing today re Obama and Syria. Agree or disagree on striking Syria, let's be honest and admit that there is partisanship at work here.

Foreign policy is not physics, and there is always a large element of ad hoc when it comes to FP. That said, I've thought for a while that the best approach vis a vis the Islamic world is the way Reagan handled Libya, and/or the way Obama handled Osama bin Laden. Don't eff with us, and don't eff with Israel. If you do, you'll get a surgical strike that will make you wish you hadn't. If Assad and Al Nusra wish to duke it out, have at it. Maybe the Saudis, Turks, Bahrainis etc. can intervene to save the innocents caught in the crossfire. We should not.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
1 thing our role isn't and that is to police the world.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:00 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I agree 100%...I'd rather us just sit back and let them fight it out all around the world and then kick the last one's ass and take all the candy in the bag at one felled swoop...saves time,money ,lives,energy etc etc

Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What is America's post cold war role in the world?

That's a question I think the U.S needs to get clear on. Not being clear on what our role is can get us in situations like Syria and other conflicts that we probably shouldn't be in.
Well here is the problem. Neoconservatives took over the republican party, and have basically run it until about 2009. That basically made us team america world police. Liberal democrats opposed war, but were tired of looking weak on national defense. Bush ran on that platform in 2004, and its part of the reason why Kerry lost. Remember swift boat? All about Kerry being weak on defense.

Well today americans are tired of playing world police. An isolation movement has broken out in the republican party, partky due to their hatred of everything Obama.

I think we should close all overseas military bases. I think we should cut defense spending in half. But if we are going to continue to feed the military industrial complex, then it is our duty to play world police.

If you take away the means of making unnecessary war from the federal government, by cutting defense, then it will stop any actions like syria.

So ask yourself a question. Our defense spending is equal to 4 times what the rest of the world, combined, spends. If you support that, then support syria. If you think, as I do that we would be just fine spenidng equal amounts of the worlds defense spending, then syria won't be an afterthought.

You decide

Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
In the absence of any real external threat the USA needs to maintain a good strong military for defensive purposes only.

The main preoccupation should be to establish a more just society through good governance. There is just so much that could be done in the furtherance of freedom, justice and democracy right at home in the USA.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times
America's post cold war role: I guess, to completely, thoroughly and relentlessly destabilize the Middle East.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
....and John Kerry, of all people, seems to think it's "cool" for us to be the world's RENT-A-COP!

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-08-2013, 05:24 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
America's post cold war role: I guess, to completely, thoroughly and relentlessly destabilize the Middle East.
Not as if that's hard to do since they weren't stable to begin with.

Islam's got to fight their own war. They are fighting amongst themselves. We shouldn't be involving ourselves with their internal civil war.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-08-2013, 06:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
The big question is will America continue to pursue its current role of being a somewhat global hegemon, something that is becoming more and more expensive due to the military growth of rivals like China, or will it eventually go the way of Europe and begin to focus on things like healthcare and social security? Who knows what path America will choose but it will probably be determined in the voting booth. Demographic changes will probably play a large part in determining what path America will choose. From what I read in an old report, the US Department of Defense considers social spending and interest expenses to be some of the biggest security threats to America since it will impact the military budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies