Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,221,697 times

Advertisements

Here is a local news story, which appears to be where CNN got its information:
107-Year-Old Man Killed in SWAT Team Shootout - ArkansasMatters.com - Central Arkansas' Source for News, Weather, and Sports covering Little Rock, North Little Rock, Conway, Cabot, Searcy, Hot Springs, and the rest of Central Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The police actions are now being investigated, because obviously people are wondering why the police focused so intently on getting in the house and apprehending him. The police really escalated the situation. And frankly, that does seem to be a shift nationally in police mindset, where SWAT teams and other response teams are a tremendous expense that the police department has to justify by using, and when they are used, the focus isn't in resolving the issues. It's become more adversarial, with the police, like the military, focused on subduing the enemy.

I doubt an investigation is going to yield anything. The SWAT team did what they are trained to do. The old man knew he was firing on the police, and it will be considered a justified shooting. An investigation isn't going to focus on the bigger problem, that nationally we've transformed police into quasi-military units that act as military units, with the public being the enemy.
^^^ This. Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,411,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
really they felt threatened??? and no one was in the house??
wonder if he even knew what was going on
honestly gunning down a 107 man
hope they are proud of themselves
they could have handled this a whole lot better!!!
Yup agree with you. Wonder if at 107 mine you if he was all there upstairs. Come on now at that age, you have to have memory loss.

I think they could have handled it a hell of a lot better myself, for gosh sakes this was a 107 yr old man.

I think they rush to judgement like so many cops as of late have done. And yes no one was in the house?

Hope they are all proud of themselves.

So often lately cops shoot first ask questions later, even killing many pets and taking the lives of innocent.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,269,306 times
The last thing I read was more complicated. The old guy had been moved out of his house earlier into a temporary home while his things were being moved into a new place for him. Apparently, the home where he was staying belonged to a relative, and he was being cared for by a couple of ladies, one who may have been a relative.

He was content there but became confused the day of the shooting. He apparently thought he was being held captive and wanted to go back to his old house. After arguing with the women, he found his gun and began threatening them. The fled to a neighbor's and called the cops.

The cops attempted to reason with him after he went into the bedroom he was using, but he became steadily more angry and began shooting through the closed door. After trying tear gas, they went in and shot him.

I think the cops did escalate the matter, and I think they could have avoided the killing by using the right gas. There are sedative gas grenades now that make a person drowsy or fall asleep.

The old man was 107, and he was quite vigorous for his age but very hard of hearing. If sedative gas wasn't available, I'm sure that he would have worn his anger out eventually, and they could have rushed him. Really, all they needed to do was wait patiently; he wasn't going anywhere, and all his shooting never threatened the police.

A new door and some plaster work in the hallway isn't worth the cost of a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies