Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

It's still not a pretty picture of America when half of newborn parents can't afford to pay for the birth.
And it will only get more expensive for them for the next 18-25 years.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:27 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,382 times
What a loving and caring nation we live in. That is a robust safety net serving the people in need

Im very proud of these numbers

Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 PM

600 posts, read 659,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Interestingly, neither Texas nor California lead the pack which puts a tad of a dent into the illegal argument.
uhm, how about some proof of what you say.

and I was not commenting on illegal immigrants, but on the hypocrisy of the OP (who is presumably from TX) complaining about Medicaid payments...

Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that 48% is from 2010. In three years I'm sure that is well over 50% by now.
It went from 40% in 2008 to 48% in 2010. That's an 8% increase in 2 years.
Our decline is increasing.

I'm worried, are you ?

Nearly Half Of U.S. Births Already Covered By Medicaid
Correlate this with the fact that the number of babies of color being born are surpassing the amount of white babies born. Imagine 48% of babies born into poverty, many will end up in jail when they are all grown up.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
uhm, how about some proof of what you say.

and I was not commenting on illegal immigrants, but on the hypocrisy of the OP (who is presumably from TX) complaining about Medicaid payments...
Here's what I posted..I said I was worried.
Not complaining. Why complain when it won't do any good ?

I said I was worried and everyone should be worried when 1/2 of the babies born today are medicaid babies.

Quote:
And that 48% is from 2010. In three years I'm sure that is well over 50% by now.

I'm worried, are you ?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:56 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Tell the Republicans to stop alienating minorities and LGBT people, and you can have a fiscally responsible person in the White House to solve this problem. Until then, as long as the religious right controls the Republican party, they will never win another election.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Tell the Republicans to stop alienating minorities and LGBT people, and you can have a fiscally responsible person in the White House to solve this problem. Until then, as long as the religious right controls the Republican party, they will never win another election.
How is the GOP alienating minorities? As for the gay community most Republicans that I know only object to a traditional marriage for them but are ok with a civil union. If you think that the Republicans will never win another election it is just wishful thinking on your part.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,104 times
Quote:

I'm worried, are you ?

Nearly Half Of U.S. Births Already Covered By Medicaid
Nope. Hopefully one day 100% of births will be paid by a single payer system...

Old 09-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Nope. Hopefully one day 100% of births will be paid by a single payer system...
Well you might want to read how that is faring in other countries.
Long waits for appointments and those that want care when they want it have private insurance.

It also won't fare so well when less than 1/2 of Americans can pay into the system and that's based on the fact that more than 1/2 of Americans don't pay Fed income tax. How are these people going to pay int the system ?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I'm glad someone is at least still having children in this country. All the people griping about Medicaid expenditures should learn that these kids will one day become tax payers and will more than make up for the cost of their birth.
Not likely. Once again, from another thread discussing a similar problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
"The association between poverty and children’s development and academic performance has been well documented, beginning as early as the second year of life (11,12) and extending through elementary and high school.(13) When these risks occur during preschool years, they can have long-lasting consequences. For example, readiness for school on entry to kindergarten sets the trajectory for future success.(8) School readiness is critical to later academic achievement because differences on school entry have long-term consequences. Lee and Burkman,(14) found that most American students who start school significantly behind their peers can never close the readiness gap. Rather, the gap tends to widen as they move through school. "School readiness has been shown to be predictive of virtually every educational benchmark (e.g., achievement test scores, grade retention, special education placement, dropout, etc)" (p. 21).(8) The consequences of early school failure are increased likelihood of truancy, drop out, and unhealthy or delinquent behaviors.(8) Between 30 and 40% of children entering kindergarten in the United States are estimated to not be ready for school.(8)

The link between poverty and low academic achievement has been well established.(15) Low-income children are at increased risk of leaving school without graduating, resulting in inflation-adjusted earnings in the United States that declined 16% from 1979 to 2005, averaging slightly over $10/hour.(15) Evidence from the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Early Child Care Research Network has shown that children in chronically impoverished families have lower cognitive and academic performance and more behavior problems than children who are not exposed to poverty, partially explained by a lack of stimulating behaviors and home experiences among low-income families.(16)"
MUCH more:
http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1002&context=psycd_fac

About 50% of tax eligible earners pay no federal income tax whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies