Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

62,846 posts, read 29,085,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Its not un-American. In S Florida being fluent in Spanish is a career asset.

Defining what "American culture " actually is, seems more amorphous these days. How does one define "American"??

Well for one thing American culture includes the English language as our identifying one. Spanish is a minority language. Why would one have to speak Spanish in S. Florida? Are you saying that Cuban-Americans can't speak English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Of course it is! Any language that is not English is un-American.
Not exactly. It just means that other languages are spoken here other than English but they are minority languages and are not our dominant, identifying one.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well for one thing American culture includes the English language as our identifying one. Spanish is a minority language. Why would one have to speak Spanish in S. Florida? Are you saying that Cuban-Americans can't speak English?
So you're saying that regional cultural variations and regional traditions are "un-American", that every part of the US has to have the same exact culture? If so who determines what that culture should be?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,556,296 times
Quote:
As a American of Cuban descent we speak English perfectly well. The reason we speak Spanish in Miami is because it is a international city and speaking to several hundred million Hispanics to the South of us makes economic sense.
Would you move to China and expect people to speak English only? People are in their comfort zone when you speak to them in their own language. It's a cultural bond. It has nothing to do with being "Un American".

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times
Quote:
Does it have to be personal in order for me to care about my fellow English speaking Americans who are being discriminated against in hiring practices because they don't speak Spanish to cater to illegal aliens and other Spanish speakers that want to be pandered to in Spanish even though they know English?
A little hypersensitive, I have to say.

I live in a city that's 80% Latino, and I speak very poor Spanish. I used to cross the border into Mexico daily for work a few years back. The culture that dominates both sides of the border is the Anglo. Sure, there are lots of Mexicans in Mexico who don't speak English, but you'd probably be surprised how many do. And almost anyone with a business on the Mexican side of the border speaks it pretty well. And those non-English speakers who cross over to the US usually learn it pretty quickly.

English-only Americans living in the USA have no cause to fret and whine about Hispanic culture "taking over."

You boys can relax and take a deep breath. It'll all be OK.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
A little hypersensitive, I have to say.

I live in a city that's 80% Latino, and I speak very poor Spanish. I used to cross the border into Mexico daily for work a few years back. The culture that dominates both sides of the border is the Anglo. Sure, there are lots of Mexicans in Mexico who don't speak English, but you'd probably be surprised how many do. And almost anyone with a business on the Mexican side of the border speaks it pretty well. And those non-English speakers who cross over to the US usually learn it pretty quickly.

English-only Americans living in the USA have no cause to fret and whine about Hispanic culture "taking over."

You boys can relax and take a deep breath. It'll all be OK.
Yeah, right. With the continued influx of illegal aliens from south of our border by the millions and many if not most Hispanic-Americans especially of Mexican ancestry defending their presence here and demanding everything be in Spanish for them there will be no change in our culture and language.

It isn't fret and whining but a genuine concern for our country's dominant culture. Or is it unreasonable to object to a takeover by illegal aliens and their ethnocentric supporters? It is neither lawful nor natural.

We "boys"? Who the hell are they? Are you saying that most Americans don't give a damn about this illegal invasion? It's only a nutcase (I am sure that is what you are implying) group of "boys" that do?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,214 times
Sure it does. The whole premise of this thread is that Spanish culture and Spanish speakers are "un-American" and some new development. When in reality the first Europeans to settle in the continent were Spanish. El Paso existed before Jamestown. 1/3 of the U.S. was originally Spanish/Mexican territory. And specific to my point about the Spanish currency, the U.S. economy was interconnected with the Spanish economy all the way up to the 1850s. Spanish speakers have played an integral role in American history from today all the way back to before the U.S. even existed. So how can they be un-American?

Quote:
While interesting it has nothing to do with today.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
Sure it does. The whole premise of this thread is that Spanish culture and Spanish speakers are "un-American" and some new development. When in reality the first Europeans to settle in the continent were Spanish. El Paso existed before Jamestown. 1/3 of the U.S. was originally Spanish/Mexican territory. And specific to my point about the Spanish currency, the U.S. economy was interconnected with the Spanish economy all the way up to the 1850s. Spanish speakers have played an integral role in American history from today all the way back to before the U.S. even existed. So how can they be un-American?
So what? Spanish did not become our identifying culture nor our identifying language. I am not one who believes that speaking Spanish is un-American but there is a time and place for everything. Same goes for other foreign languages being spoken in this country. Some of these Spanish speakers refuse to even learn or speak English and that behavior is what is un-American to me.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,915,802 times
Quote:
Yeah, right. With the continued influx of illegal aliens from south of our border by the millions and many if not most Hispanic-Americans especially of Mexican ancestry defending their presence here and demanding everything be in Spanish for them there will be no change in our culture and language.

It isn't fret and whining but a genuine concern for our country's dominant culture. Or is it unreasonable to object to a takeover by illegal aliens and their ethnocentric supporters? It is neither lawful nor natural.

We "boys"? Who the hell are they? Are you saying that most Americans don't give a damn about this illegal invasion? It's only a nutcase (I am sure that is what you are implying) group of "boys" that do?

What exactly is our countries "dominant culture"? We all know what you mean but you are too cowardly to come right out and say it.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:54 PM

23,520 posts, read 17,199,245 times
A country is defined by a common language as it is the cement that holds its culture together.

Spanish is as unamerican as Hungarian. It is not unto itself an affront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies