Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's really really nice to see more level-headed posters taking the "wait and see" attitude in an unknown situation. Unlike the people that immediately piled on early in these threads....due to their internal biases.
I'm a wait-and-seer. It's all speculation and finger-pointing at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Facebook..the new MSM for America.

Pretty scary huh ? One posting can end up with death threats to a person because the court of public opinion made its decision.

And now the waitress said she wishes him no harm. A little too late for that as the damage is done.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM

152 posts, read 295,888 times
Like many others, I think it is too soon to form a firm opinion, but I thought I would just throw this possibility out there...

There is a chance that both of them are being honest and an anonymous third party was the one who wrote something on the receipt. This might be a stretch, but I know people who will sometimes write weird messages on other people's receipts thinking they are being cute. I believe Toni Christina Jenkins and Devin Barnes are equally innocent until proven guilty so even though I question whether Barnes did it, I'm not going to assume that the only other logical explanation is that Jenkins wrote it herself just to post a fun Facebook message.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
Like many others, I think it is too soon to form a firm opinion, but I thought I would just throw this possibility out there...

There is a chance that both of them are being honest and an anonymous third party was the one who wrote something on the receipt. This might be a stretch, but I know people who will sometimes write weird messages on other people's receipts thinking they are being cute. I believe Toni Christina Jenkins and Devin Barnes are equally innocent until proven guilty so even though I question whether Barnes did it, I'm not going to assume that the only other logical explanation is that Jenkins wrote it herself just to post a fun Facebook message.
Is there any particular reason why you felt the need to make sure everyone knew the full names of the two people?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Facebook..the new MSM for America.

Pretty scary huh ? One posting can end up with death threats to a person because the court of public opinion made its decision.

And now the waitress said she wishes him no harm. A little too late for that as the damage is done.
Some media don't even care if something is a proven hoax, if it fits there agenda, they will continue to promote it.
HuffPo is one of those. They still have the pink headband Walmart story on their website even though it's been proven a hoax and the woman who wrote it was committed to a mental institution by the police.

Little Boy's Pink Headband Problem At Walmart (VIDEO) - Huffington Post

HuffPo doesn't care that is was a hoax made up by an unstable person, it works for their meme, so they are keeping the story live.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
And people trying to take advantage of the natural tendency to sympathize with victims of racism is also nothing new. False accusations have also existed from the beginning of time and will be here until the end.

And the waitress herself sounds strange. She posted the receipt but said she had no idea it would get any attention. Seriously? After the Zimmerman case she had no idea it would get attention? That's a little hard to swallow.
I don't know if she's taking advantage of people sympathy for racism and how long that's been around. Being a racist gets you 0 points in the world of moral people. Only people who embrace and excuse this type of behavior are bigots.

Taking the property of her employer that contains a customers personal information and posting it to Facebook was a stupid mistake but i don't know how strange it is. Many don't realize how fast this stuff can go viral when using social media. George Zimmermann has nothing to do with the subject. Racism has always sparked debate especially in the online world a long time before Zimmermann became famous.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If they can't fire her for releasing a customer's private information online unless it is specifically laid out as a termination offense in the employee handbook, then why can they fire her if it turns out she wrote an offensive word on the receipt unless that also is specifically laid out as a termination offense in the employee handbook? Your own reasoning seems to contradict you.
it depends on their employee handbook and what offenses are actionable, and what offenses are terminable. it also lays out how many actionable offenses are allowed with in a certain period of time that add up to a termination action. and chances are that this server has committed a few actionable offenses, and this episode actually contains TWO offenses, the first being the posting of private information online, the second, if it is found to be that way, of grossly insulting a customer. i am betting that red lobster doesnt have quite enough to actually fire this person without consequence to the company, but likely they are close.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:16 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What criminal crime did she commit? Racial hoaxes aren't crimes.
If we can criminalize thought, aka "Hate Crimes", why can't we can criminalize acts like this? The guy's getting death threats and his reputation has been damaged.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,323,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it depends on their employee handbook and what offenses are actionable, and what offenses are terminable. it also lays out how many actionable offenses are allowed with in a certain period of time that add up to a termination action. and chances are that this server has committed a few actionable offenses, and this episode actually contains TWO offenses, the first being the posting of private information online, the second, if it is found to be that way, of grossly insulting a customer. i am betting that red lobster doesnt have quite enough to actually fire this person without consequence to the company, but likely they are close.
I disagree. This is likely at-will employment. Unless she has a contract they can let her go for any or no reason. That she brought disrepute to the brand is reason enough to can her and even deny her unemployment insurance.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I disagree. This is likely at-will employment. Unless she has a contract they can let her go for any or no reason. That she brought disrepute to the brand is reason enough to can her and even deny her unemployment insurance.
company policies still have to be followed, or the server has grounds for a lawsuit against the company. i have been there many times wondering why companies didnt fire certain employees. come to find out later that some managers didnt follow proper procedure with documenting the violations, and when that had happened in the past the companies were sued for wrongful termination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies