Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,652,159 times

Advertisements

Huh. I came here expecting to see some comment about the veto override failing. So far, crickets. Wonder why.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,888,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Huh. I came here expecting to see some comment about the veto override failing. So far, crickets. Wonder why.
I did not know until now - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/us...veto.html?_r=0

The representatives have spoken. If they voted the way their constituents wanted, then great. If they voted against their constituents, then I hope they are voted out or recalled.

As long as the correct process is followed, you will have no arguments from me. That being said, the feds aren't following the process with their gun laws.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,205,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The pass the law because of the Hughes ammendment which froze the supply of automatic weapons in 1986. All automatic weapons made after that date cannot be owned which has caused the price of pre 86 automatic weapons to sky rocket.

A quality ar15 costs around $900 dollars brand new right now. The difference between an ar15 and an m16 is one extra hole drilled and about 3 small parts (probably around $25 worth of parts and labor at the most). A pre 86 worn out legal m16 costs over $15,000 dollars because supply is fixed and demand is high.

All this bill does is increase supply so that the same weapons are available to everyone, not just the uber rich. Democrats should be happy about this.
All true, except for the "worn out" part. The legally registered "firearm" is the lower receiver which undergoes very little wear under normal use. All you have to do is take the lower receiver out of that "worn out" M16. Then "repair" it with a brand-new trigger group, upper receiver, bolt carrier, and other various parts and furniture and you have what is basically a brand-new and legal full-auto weapon.

All you need is about $15,000 (plus many more thousand $$ for ammo), a spotless criminal record, a cooperative local sheriff / police chief (to sign off on the NFA), and non-restrictive state and local laws. Which means that for the vast majority of Americans it is impossible and/or illegal to ever own a full-auto weapon.

As for the veto override failing, I agree with Robert_J. If they voted how the majority of their constituents wanted them to, it's how it's supposed to be. If not, then they're out of a job.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,775,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
All true, except for the "worn out" part. The legally registered "firearm" is the lower receiver which undergoes very little wear under normal use. All you have to do is take the lower receiver out of that "worn out" M16. Then "repair" it with a brand-new trigger group, upper receiver, bolt carrier, and other various parts and furniture and you have what is basically a brand-new and legal full-auto weapon.

All you need is about $15,000 (plus many more thousand $$ for ammo), a spotless criminal record, a cooperative local sheriff / police chief (to sign off on the NFA), and non-restrictive state and local laws. Which means that for the vast majority of Americans it is impossible and/or illegal to ever own a full-auto weapon.

As for the veto override failing, I agree with Robert_J. If they voted how the majority of their constituents wanted them to, it's how it's supposed to be. If not, then they're out of a job.
What wears out is the trigger and hammer pin holes in the side of the receiver. The pins are steel and the receiver is aluminum. The pins rotate some when being fired and over time the pin holes become oversized causing issues. Normally this would mean replacing the receiver, but since the receiver cannot be replaced, they make oversized pins for the now oversized holes and kns anti rotation pins to keep additional wear from happening to the receiver.
So they made a $50 dollar solution to fix a worn out part from the 70's that would normally cost $100 to buy new if not for the government preventing a new part being made making the original part worth 20k.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,879,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is exactly why I say the argument is not so black and white.

Can I post a list of people who when cross referenced show they just bought new jewelry and do not own a gun? Would that be something dangerous to do? Would a court uphold that right or overturn it based upon the same reasoning they used in not allowing someone to yell fire in a crowded theater?

Would it be as dangerous for a criminal to have a list of which homes have a lower chance of running into a gun owner?
There is no doubt that such a list could be created. I have no idea what a court would rule, but before a court did rule the damage would be done.

This would count all lists and it may end up as a matter of public information based on the 'Freedom of Information Act'.

After Sandy Hook a list of carry permit and hand gun owners appeared in the local newspapers in and around NY and NJ, and so far as i know the courts did nothing.

All it would take would be a govt agency to demand VISA and Master card turn over billing to show who bought what and where....

A reason I pay cash for guns and ammo. I am not concerned about the gun books in the gun stores.. I have made way too many entries to be bothered by know how hard it is to understand these books and it takes a crime committed to be able to use these books for much of anything.

The lesson was that the NY gun registry can and will be used as a weapon, and that registry should be done away with and forbidden to ever be created again.

If I was a resident of NY State i would demand this registry to be abolished and if not start a list of non gun owners and have it printed. Fight fire with the same fire you know?

If my life is put to a risk, whom ever does so I will put their life to that same risk. The difference is i can and will defend myself in and out of court.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Then I can post information on your past lovers in the newspaper, right? If I dated you and found out you had an abortion (had physical evidence of you entering the abortion clinic), I can also post that and circumvent HIPAA laws. After all, it's just you entering an abortion clinic. Nothing illegal about that.
With in color pictures I hope!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There are no regulations on flame throwers in most states. Cannons are AOWs most of the time. Similar for the working weapon of the tank. A weaponless tank is as legal as a bulldozer. A suppressor is an NFA item.
A shot gun shorter than 18 inch barrel falls under AOW's as well and has the cost of the 200 dollars tax stamp if one should want such a thing made after 1880 I believe.

All black powder guns are considered obsolete, so you can chop up a black powder cap lock or flint gun if one wishes as they please. Me, I would just hope it wasn't a real or historical piece. But then it is none of my bee's wax what people do with the things they own.

I own a grenade launcher, but have no grenades for it and don't really want any. It's just part of a gun I happen to own.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Don't forget Charlie Rangle for saying "the ayes have it" even though video shows it was a split voice vote.

New full auto guns are built every day but only military, law enforcement and the licensed builder can posses it. There are rumors that a few full autos are in circulation dated after 1986. Some have suggested that high ranking politicians have purchased them and then resold them for a profit. I have no proof at all of that, just passing along internet rumors.
I have seen youtube video of gun types that didn't exist in 86 where the guns are being fired in full auto mode. I believe these are 9mm parabellum.

I don't understand how this IS, but it IS. I am fairly certain these are not being 'bump fired' and they are real full auto sub-machine guns.

If you like i will try to dig up links.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 11,747 times
Quote:
I did not know until now - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/us...veto.html?_r=0

The representatives have spoken. If they voted the way their constituents wanted, then great. If they voted against their constituents, then I hope they are voted out or recalled.

As long as the correct process is followed, you will have no arguments from me. That being said, the feds aren't following the process with their gun laws.
A great big DITTO to that!

Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,966,989 times
Unless they are proposing to allow citizens of MO to build Full Autos on their own and or factory's to product them for sale without a Fed stamp, then its already legal to own full autos. First thing for the people who know little to nothing about guns, Reagan closed the pool or full auto guns that can be sold to private citizens. Now that limited the guns that are serial numbered to be sold to the avg us citizen. If your state law allows it you can buy if you can afford a class 3 full auto weapon or a suppressor. Suppressors were never limited to what was made and new stock can be added.

Now you have to then buy a tax stamp for the weapon for 200 dollors and wait for 6 months to a year to get a back ground check and passed by the NFA system. Then you can pick up your item. Its not easy to sell either as people have to do the same to buy.

So its legal to have and own full autos in many states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies