Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,533,680 times

Advertisements

See? This is why I don't make big posts about this subject, because what I thought would happen is EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

Seriously, you guys are all acting like a bunch of children and it's pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Remember "Save the Rainforest"?

Remember how if we didn't send the ecofascists money to 'save the rainforest' we would all die from drought?

What happened to that?

Old 09-14-2013, 06:18 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
The denialist who started this thread hasn't actually shown that an op-ed in a financial magazine has any scientific merit. It's his argument, he's the one who has to defend it. No one owes it to him to pretend it has scientific merit..
Typical. Can't refute the facts, so you attack the source.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
To suggest that the thousands of scientists around the world are all actively and knowingly engaging in fraud is, in a word, ludicrous, and personally I don't blame them for feeling frustrated.
I don't think all scientists are actively engaged in fraud. That's not necessary for lots of them to be wrong. Confirmation Bias can be very strong and it's an even bigger problem among those that are experts in their field.

Quote:
I do think that they need to get better at PR and expressing their findings in a way that is more easily digestible to the general public, and I think it's a mistake for them to throw up their hands and say "to hell with these idiots, we've got work to do" because that doesn't make the situation any better for anyone.
Does that improvement in PR include the elimination of altered data. Does it include hiding their agenda as was exposed in some of the emails? Does it include stopping the destruction of the original data? Does it include the elimination of models that produce the same outcome regardless of input?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 AM

808 posts, read 662,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So do you agree with the facts in the OP?
she is too ignorant to understand that.

a cult member, you know

Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
First of all, the climate science community is pretty unanimous that there has been a 17ish year pause in global warming.
good to know, since the whole hysteria about AGW is about 30 years altogether

Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Typical. Can't refute the facts, so you attack the source.
I can, I just don't see a point. If you think a hostile op-ed by some ****** who's no more qualified to gainsay the scientific consensus than I am constitutes a scientific rebuttal, the facts won't change your mind. As I just said " One of you says no one has measured volcanic vs. industrial emissions, I show him otherwise and he declares it junk science and gets mad. Another says sea levels have not risen or if they have it's not going up the same everywhere; I show this is indeed the case and he says the science is WRONG and gets mad."

And of course it's "typical" to not pretend an op-ed by a "space architect" is the place to go for the latest on climate science. If you guys always try to misrepresent blogs and op-eds as scientific resources, you're always going to get called on it. I could move on to step two and find out what conclusions the people who did the research draw from it and let you know, but it's a really nice day out and I have long since learned there's no point in trying to teach that particular pig to dance. Besides, I wouldn't want you to get mad as well.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post

It's foolish to claim that a single weather event (Sandy, Katrina, an F5 tearing through the heartland, a particularly hot summer) is attributable to anthropogenic climate change, just as it's equally ridiculous to claim that an increase in polar ice one year, or a milder than expected summer one year, or a lull in hurricane or tornado activity one year, is proof that it's all wrong and a great fraud perpetrated upon the worlds' population. To suggest that the thousands of scientists around the world are all actively and knowingly engaging in fraud is, in a word, ludicrous, and personally I don't blame them for feeling frustrated. I do think that they need to get better at PR and expressing their findings in a way that is more easily digestible to the general public, and I think it's a mistake for them to throw up their hands and say "to hell with these idiots, we've got work to do" because that doesn't make the situation any better for anyone.

thousands of scientist do not engage in a known fraud. Just some of them. The fraud is anthropogenic GW
only 0.3% of the scientists actually believe in the ANTHROPOGENIC influence on the climate, it is the politicians and their donors, who want us to PAY for the LIE in order to enrich themselves who are the propellers of this hysteria. and there will always be corruption in scientific world as it is everywhere else, which the story with doctored data from East Anglia proves, but not only that one - people in scientific community know perfectly well it is not Olympus as the ignorant worshiper crowd is being brainwashed

Old 09-14-2013, 08:47 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
I don't think all scientists are actively engaged in fraud. That's not necessary for lots of them to be wrong. Confirmation Bias can be very strong and it's an even bigger problem among those that are experts in their field.
Really? Tell us about all these false conclusions arrived at through widespread confirmation bias.

Cold fusion lasted about three months. This business about faster-than-light neutrinos lasted about half that. I have no reason to think the self-corrective nature of the process has failed in this particular instance.

All that stuff about alleged malfeasance revealed by stolen emails has been done away with, never mind decades of research that arrives at similar conclusions conducted by people who have nothing to do with the University of East Anglia. There's no there there, you're beating a dead horse out of desperation to make your ideological brethren not look like clowns.

You know what? It isn't working.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Care to explain in your own words instead of being a sheep and just passing along the info?
Fact: The warming trend has stopped for 17 years.

Fact: CO2 emissions have continued at a record pace.

Fact: CO2 in the atmosphere has hit a record 400 PPM.

Fact: The alarmists said CO2 emissions are driving the warming trend.

Conclusion: The alarmists have an agenda and ignore facts that disagree with their agenda. This is quite common among experts and it's call Confirmation Bias.

There. Is that simple enough? Now do you understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies