U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 21,763,496 times
Reputation: 19287

Advertisements

Chemical attack was Syria rebel provocation, former hostages say

In a number of interviews to European news outlets, the former hostages - Belgian teacher Pierre Piccinin and Italian journalist Domenico Quiric - said they overheard an English-language Skype conversation between their captors and other men which suggested it was rebel forces, not the government, that used chemical weapons on Syria’s civilian population in an August 21 attack near Damascus.

“It is a moral duty to say this. The government of Bashar al-Assad did not use sarin gas or other types of gas in the outskirts of Damascus,” Piccinin said during an interview with Belgium's RTL radio station.

Piccinin stressed that while being held captive, he and fellow prisoner Quirico were secluded from the outside world and had no idea that chemical weapons were deployed. But the conversation which both men overheard suggested that the use of the weapons was a strategic move by the opposition, aimed at getting the West to intervene.

...
“It pains me to say it because I've been a fierce supporter of the Free Syrian Army in its rightful fight for democracy since 2012," Piccinin added.

...
“I am extremely surprised that the United States could think about intervening, knowing very well how the Syrian revolution has become international jihadism – in other words Al-Qaeda," Quirico said, as quoted by Italy’s Quotidiano Nazionale.

The 62-year-old La Stampa journalist believes that radical Islamic groups operating in Syria to topple Assad “want to create a caliphate and extend it to the entire Middle East and North Africa.”



Just another confirmation of what I believe to be true - and it totally makes sense with what has been occurring the last couple of years in that region.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 21,763,496 times
Reputation: 19287
Another source since many of you like bashing certain sources...

Freed Hostages Reveal Information on Chemical Attacks in Syria

As a seasoned war correspondent, Quirico traveled to Syria by means of Lebanon on April 6 to cover the revolution. Three days later, Quirico and Piccinin were kidnapped as they traveled to the Syrian city of Homs together.

Held hostage for six months, Quirico and Piccinin claim to have overheard their captors through closed doors, discussing the chemical weapon attacks near Damascus. Piccinin reports that the rebels said that Assad was not responsible for the attacks.

"It wasn't the government of Bashar al-Assad that used sarin gas or any other gas in Ghouta," Piccinin revealed on Belgian RTL radio.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
 
27,620 posts, read 19,812,367 times
Reputation: 11079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Chemical attack was Syria rebel provocation, former hostages say

In a number of interviews to European news outlets, the former hostages - Belgian teacher Pierre Piccinin and Italian journalist Domenico Quiric - said they overheard an English-language Skype conversation between their captors and other men which suggested it was rebel forces, not the government, that used chemical weapons on Syria’s civilian population in an August 21 attack near Damascus.

“It is a moral duty to say this. The government of Bashar al-Assad did not use sarin gas or other types of gas in the outskirts of Damascus,” Piccinin said during an interview with Belgium's RTL radio station.

Piccinin stressed that while being held captive, he and fellow prisoner Quirico were secluded from the outside world and had no idea that chemical weapons were deployed. But the conversation which both men overheard suggested that the use of the weapons was a strategic move by the opposition, aimed at getting the West to intervene.

...
“It pains me to say it because I've been a fierce supporter of the Free Syrian Army in its rightful fight for democracy since 2012," Piccinin added.

...
“I am extremely surprised that the United States could think about intervening, knowing very well how the Syrian revolution has become international jihadism – in other words Al-Qaeda," Quirico said, as quoted by Italy’s Quotidiano Nazionale.

The 62-year-old La Stampa journalist believes that radical Islamic groups operating in Syria to topple Assad “want to create a caliphate and extend it to the entire Middle East and North Africa.”



Just another confirmation of what I believe to be true - and it totally makes sense with what has been occurring the last couple of years in that region.
Yellow cake uranium was also purchased by Saddam...Not! You cannot believe everything you read.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 21,763,496 times
Reputation: 19287
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yellow cake uranium was also purchased by Saddam...Not! You cannot believe everything you read.
Just like that?

Two witnesses who are journalists - not enough for you...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM
 
16,546 posts, read 12,767,622 times
Reputation: 4235
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just like that?

Two witnesses who are journalists - not enough for you...
Yep, just like that. Obama didn't say this, so they don't believe it. Crazy bunch aren't they?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
8,039 posts, read 11,674,007 times
Reputation: 8165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Chemical attack was Syria rebel provocation, former hostages say

In a number of interviews to European news outlets, the former hostages - Belgian teacher Pierre Piccinin and Italian journalist Domenico Quiric - said they overheard an English-language Skype conversation between their captors and other men which suggested it was rebel forces, not the government, that used chemical weapons on Syria’s civilian population in an August 21 attack near Damascus.

“It is a moral duty to say this. The government of Bashar al-Assad did not use sarin gas or other types of gas in the outskirts of Damascus,” Piccinin said during an interview with Belgium's RTL radio station.

Piccinin stressed that while being held captive, he and fellow prisoner Quirico were secluded from the outside world and had no idea that chemical weapons were deployed. But the conversation which both men overheard suggested that the use of the weapons was a strategic move by the opposition, aimed at getting the West to intervene.

...
“It pains me to say it because I've been a fierce supporter of the Free Syrian Army in its rightful fight for democracy since 2012," Piccinin added.

...
I am extremely surprised that the United States could think about intervening, knowing very well how the Syrian revolution has become international jihadism – in other words Al-Qaeda," Quirico said, as quoted by Italy’s Quotidiano Nazionale.

The 62-year-old La Stampa journalist believes that radical Islamic groups operating in Syria to topple Assad “want to create a caliphate and extend it to the entire Middle East and North Africa.”



Just another confirmation of what I believe to be true - and it totally makes sense with what has been occurring the last couple of years in that region.
I have a couple of questions, because this sounds very fishy to me.

Why would rebels be discussing the chemical attacks, in English, so it could be overheard by captive journalists? Why were these captive journalists suddenly released with this information conveniently right before a possible US attack on the Syrian government?

And even if the above was true (which I am very skeptical) how possibly can these journalists be sure that it was still not Assad this time anyway?

It sounds more like people with an agenda then journalists. Were they paid off by someone to say this???
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 21,763,496 times
Reputation: 19287
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have a couple of questions, because this sounds very fishy to me.

Why would rebels be discussing the chemical attacks, in English, so it could be overheard by captive journalists? Why were these captive journalists suddenly released with this information conveniently right before a possible US attack on the Syrian government?

And even if the above was true (which I am very skeptical) how possibly can these journalists be sure that it was still not Assad this time anyway?

It sounds more like people with an agenda then journalists. Were they paid off by someone to say this???
Regarding the blue - if you had read the link, it says they were just released this week through negotiations with Rome. Plus - the journalist and teacher were not American. Maybe the rebels did not think they knew English. Who knows? The gave their account. I guess we can choose to believe it or not. To me - it fits everything taking place.

Regarding the red - He is telling you he is sure and gave his account. Don't know what else that will help you.

Agenda? - He was pro rebel. If anything he is going against his agenda.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM
 
25,626 posts, read 34,328,488 times
Reputation: 23219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yellow cake uranium was also purchased by Saddam...Not! You cannot believe everything you read.

Wow your vested deep into Dear Leader's Regime.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 21,763,496 times
Reputation: 19287
No major U.S. media company has posted anything about this. No surprise there.

It's more interesting that there has only been a few responses on here. We have a guy claiming a first hand account on hearing the discussion about the chemical attack - and virtually nothing.

I understand why the City-Data Division of Team Obama doesn't respond. They want the thread to roll off into oblivion never to be heard again.

Anyway - here's the BBC version - which describes the captors...

Syria hostage Domenico Quirico 'treated like animal'

An Italian war correspondent held captive by multiple armed groups in Syria has spoken of how he was treated "like an animal".

Domenico Quirico was freed on Sunday, after being held hostage for five months along with Belgian teacher Pierre Piccinin da Prata.

...
He said his captors were "mixed-up" men consumed by the pursuit of money.

...
"Our captors were from a group that professed itself to be Islamist but that in reality is made up of mixed-up young men who have joined the revolution because the revolution now belongs to these groups that are midway between banditry and fanaticism," he said.

"They follow whoever promises them a future, gives them weapons, gives them money to buy cell phones, computers, clothes."

Such groups, he said, were trusted by the West but were in truth profiting from the revolution to "take over territory, hold the population to ransom, kidnap people and fill their pockets".

...
He said his guards seemed to take no interest in anything other money and weapons - spending entire days lounging on mattresses, smoking and watching old black-and-white Egyptian movies or American wrestling shows on television.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 PM
 
40,039 posts, read 21,763,496 times
Reputation: 19287
One more from from a paper in his home country.

"I was scared. The revolution betrayed me," he said.

"Maybe this sounds too moralistic, but truly, in Syria I met the country of Evil," he said. Quirico warned against United States intervention in Syria.

"The Americans have made many errors over the last years.

But to carry out an action like this would only strengthen jihadist forces...it would be a serious error.

"Our captors were happy at the idea of an American bombardment," he said.

Quirico said that he believed they had originally been captured and sold by the Syrian Free Army.

"We were beaten daily and - I am duty-bound to say this - were only treated well by an al-Qaeda group.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top