Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:28 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
It's not free speech if what he's doing overall is illegal.

He was denied a permit for kerosene and was caught using it. That's what he's being arrested for, so stop being a sensationalist.
The police haven't released what the charge(s) against him actually are.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
This is a tough one.....

While the preacher certainly has a right to free speech and free expression, he is also causing harm (or imminent harm) to other Americans (and non-Americans).

His threats to burn Korans before have sparked riots and murder overseas already. He puts Americans overseas in danger and our troops in danger.

I'm not sure how he lives with the knowledge that people (misguided or not) have died as a result of his "show".

Why does he feel this need?

Posted with TapaTalk
Excellent question.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:38 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Update ( source: LA Times )
Quote:
He faces charges of unlawfully conveying fuel and of openly carrying a firearm. Officials said Jones and Sapp doused a stack of Korans with kerosene in a smoker/trailer, then dangerously transported it on a state road.*Jones also allegedly carried a handgun on his hip in plain view while at a McDonald's in Mulberry, Fla.*

Sapp faces charges of unlawfully conveying fuel, as well as multiple traffic citations.*
These sound a bit like trumped-up charges, but I for one am pleased to hear he didn't burn the Korans only because it endangers too many innocent people.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I guess in FEEBLE Liberal minds burning korans is equal to muslim beheadings and suicide bombing against unarmed civilians.

Obama= Jimmy Carter on steroids, ultra weak and incompetent.
I guess in FEEBLE (and THAT's VERY generous) Conservative minds the ChickenS**T act of burning any religion's books qualifies as an act of 'Murican patriotism, at least for those La-Z-Boy warriors too pathetic to get up off their sad butts and actually do something constructive.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Reports: Terry Jones arrested with 2,998 kerosene-soaked Korans - latimes.com This is that coward TRAITOR Obama's doing, first the NSA spying and now this blatant attack on free speech.
I'm pretty sure Polk County, Florida (a consistently if not overwhelmingly Republican area) does not typically consult with the President on who to arrest.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,270,899 times
What is trumped about transporting unsafe fuel on a state road?

In a freaking trailer > Not a protected vehicle like most of those that carry flammable material. And not having the warning signs required by law as well.

Many state roads do not allow the transportation of flammable material (we have several here in California).

Dousing korans in kerosene and then transporting them. Why didn't he just keep the books in their shipping boxes, the kerosene in SAFE transportable containers (and get the appropriate signage), then DOUSE them at the spot he planned on doing his little fire show?

ETA:

Did he get a permit at the "place" he planned to burn these books?
Did he consult a fire official to supervise, and be ready with an engine and hose to DOUSE the fire if it got out of hand? did he have appropriate gear (fire extinguisher?)

3000 books to set on fire, can be a hazard to all.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haaar! Patriotic Americans, while claiming to be christians, burn their twice elected President in effigy on their church lawn? I'm REALLY laughing out loud ............
Well, it was after Labor Day so they couldn't wear white.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
I guess in FEEBLE Liberal minds burning korans is equal to muslim beheadings and suicide bombing against unarmed civilians.

Obama= Jimmy Carter on steroids, ultra weak and incompetent.
Perhaps you'd care to explain WHY we've had a POTUS tell us what a noble cause it was to spend American blood and $$$ to fight to bring better lives to followers of what you obviously consider such an evil book?

HINT: The POTUS in question WAS NOT Carter or Obama.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:59 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
This is a tough one.....

While the preacher certainly has a right to free speech and free expression, he is also causing harm (or imminent harm) to other Americans (and non-Americans).

His threats to burn Korans before have sparked riots and murder overseas already. He puts Americans overseas in danger and our troops in danger.

I'm not sure how he lives with the knowledge that people (misguided or not) have died as a result of his "show".

Why does he feel this need?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Excellent question.
Here's an excellent answer- because extremist reactions from Islamic extremists in third-world nations should not dictate our behaviors and laws that protect our free speech in our own nation.

Honestly people, if Christians reacted as violently as Islamists do every time somebody questioned or mocked their religion would you even be asking such questions? Or would you be saying, 'Damn those fundies are crazy. Well we're not gonna let them control how we live OUR lives.'

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm pretty sure Polk County, Florida (a consistently if not overwhelmingly Republican area) does not typically consult with the President on who to arrest.
Oh, no no no, I'm sure you're wrong. Antarez told us in the very first post that President Obama made sure this arrest happened. I'm sure Antarez knows all about this and is going to post the evidence that President Obama was behind this any minute.

Right, Antarez?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies