Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
LOL it does matter. You said that if drugs were sold legally, then crime would drop. Then you posted an article about Portugal to prove your point, but in Portugal, just like in the U.S., the sale and distribution of drugs are STILL illegal. That means the black market still exist.
It still supports the idea that reducing restrictions on drug use reduces drug use itself. I did not use it to conclusively prove my point, and there is no real world example of completely legal drugs, but it does support it.

Quote:
Okay... back on topic....

Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
So you are admiring they are.
Of course. The information age has produced a lot of info.... If you are open minded, you may actually put all that info to good use.

Quote:
Really? it is, tell me which secured our Liberty and Independence a pen or a nation of riflemen?
Both. Colonial US doesn't just write a letter to one of the most powerful empires at the time telling the Crown they're leaving. That was then, this is now.... Notice how most of arguments are cemented in the past.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:03 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Of course. The information age has produced a lot of info.... If you are open minded, you may actually put all that info to good use.

Both. Colonial US doesn't just write a letter to one of the most powerful empires at the time telling the Crown they're leaving. That was then, this is now.... Notice how most of arguments are cemented in the past.
You assume the nature of tyranny dies with the era, it does not it evolves..

Human nature never changes, you ignore this fact
Thefts still steal
Rapist still rape
Murders still murder

As for liberty, it is never meant to stagnate and retreat, but meant to expend and aid the human condition..
you are the side who refuses to understand the criminals do not follow the law, yet still wish for more laws, the same laws that disarm law abiding Americans, stripping them of their rights and making them victims...

Ever notice how most of your arguments are cemented on emotion over fact?

I do think, not feel..

We have the right to keep and bear arms and the right shall not be infringed upon.

Now lets get the machine gun registry back open so I can get a cheap select fire belt fed AR15, shall we?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:20 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaking_Good

There have always been restrictions on gun
ownership dating back to the birth of the nation. In the late 1700's there was a
ban on the possession of a LOADED gun in your house in Boston. Gun powder had
to be stored away from one's private home.

The purpose of the Second
Amendment was to prevent the new Federal Government established in 1789 from
disarming the state militias and replacing them with a Federal standing army.
It was a concern that was relevant perhaps for a few years around the birth of
the country. It is irrelevant today. We do not rely on state militias in 2014
for our freedom from the federal government. And let's remember how inefficent
those militias acutally were....

The Second Amendment is a relic of the
founding era more than two centuries ago. Its purpose is long past. The
amendment should not block the ability of society to keep itself safe through
gun control legislation. That was never its intent. This amendment was about
militias in the 1790s, and the fear of the anti-federalists of a federal army.
Since that issue is long moot, we need not be governed in our national life by
doctrines on now-extinct militias from the 18th century.

More
basically, the idea that unregulated private gun ownership and trade protects us
against tyranny, or that gun controls would threaten tyranny to us all, is
baseless and utter nonsense. Democracies around the world regulate guns,
preserve freedoms, and achieve firearm murder rates that are a tiny fraction of
the rates suffered in the United States.
Sounds pretty much to me like your entire argument boils down to one simple truth { truth, in your mind anyway }.... that being that we no longer need the Second Amendment. It's outdated and obsolete. It's outlived it's purpose....

You're entitled to your opinion. I have no problem with you holding that opinion, { not that it would matter if I did }. Like I said earlier, if that is you contention, than do something about it. Article V of the Constitution allows for amendments to be made to the document. Until you succeed, we still have a valid 2A Right. We can't just decide one day on a whim that "meh.... we don't need this anymore" and just disregard it. That's not how it works, and you seem intelligent, so I'm sure you knew that already.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I know exactly what it says. Apparently, you can't grasp how it was written during a time when monarchs and the divine rights of king was very much alive on the most powerful continent at the time. Since then, most of the world has adopted some form of democracy and survived without the American style "right to bear arms".

The fourth leg isn't an armed citizenry. It's the media and our non-governmental institutions.
Yet another one arguing that "we no longer need the 2A"

Ok, fine! Do something about it then! Repeal it! Change it! Go through the legal process set forth in Article V of the Constitution and get rid of that antiquated, obsolete amendment that has so obviously outlived it's purpose! Until then, we have a 2A Right!

Is that so hard to understand!?!?!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM

174 posts, read 245,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
This is all that needs to be said. Girlie gun grabbers who willingly fall for a false sense of security will run to you for protection.

I have been amused how some are preaching to the choir and the choir is singing the chorus while progressives are playing switch.

Progressives want to be put out to pasture. Isn't that where old and lame farm animals go to spend their time?

Look "tough guy" with your gun. If you are such a wussy and a coward that you can't leave your house without your gun then just stay the &uck home!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You are quoting the federalist papers? I referred to the constitutional convention.

But anyway the federalist papers were explicity opposed to adding the bill of rights to the constitution.

And Federalist Paper No. 29 said the Union has the power, "to provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, RESERVING TO THE STATES RESPECTIVELY THE APPOINTMENT OF THE OFFICERS, AND THE AUTHORITY OF TRAINING THE MILITIA ACCORDING TO THE DISCIPLINE PRESCRIBED BY CONGRESS."

Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah Heller vs DC and McDonald vs Chicago have proven it is a individuals right, not a collective right, which do not exist because how can a right apply to a group of individuals but not the individuals when who make up said group.

How is the defense and maintenance of a free state, and self defense a relic in the modern age?

Its purpose has not past, it is here and well always be here and your nay saying does not altar this fact.
Yes and Heller vs. DC was a 2008 supreme court ruling overturning 200 years of legal precedent. As former Chief Justice Warren Burger (a Nixon appointee) said in 1990 the idea that the 2nd Amendment gives an unfettered individual right to gun ownership is, "a fraud on the American public." Justice Scalia is a politician not a judge. He is following the march of the NRA and the rightward drift of the American right since the 1970's. The arguments are flimsy at best.

Quote:

If gun control legislation made society safe then why does Chicago, Newark, Trenton, and Baltimore all have some of the strictest gun laws yeah have a just high crime while cities and states that uphold the right to self defense have much low rates of violent crime?

Why is it after the states passed Carry Concealed Weapon laws violent crime went down?
This is a bogus argument. Just take Baltimore: it is a city, not an island, near Virginia where getting guns is easy.

Crime/homicides have been falling for 20 years. The Brady Bill was passed in 1993 and that is when our very high homicide rates began to fall. Are you going to give credit there? There are many reasons for the sharp drop in homicides...more guns is definitely not one of them.

Quote:

Why is it Honduras a nation that has a total ban on firearms has the highest rate of murder in the world?

If you wish to trade you rights and liberties for the myth of security, fine..Move.
Sorry, but this is a really DUMB argument. You are comparing a very poor third world country where law and order are extremely weak to the USA? Compared to other industrialized democratic countries the US homicide rate is through the roof.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Look "tough guy" with your gun. If you are such a wussy and a coward that you can't leave your house without your gun then just stay the &uck home!
Yep, because accepting the reality that crime happens and people get attacked every day in this country, and wanting to be able to protect yourself from it, makes you a wussy and a coward, right?

I guess having a fire extinguisher / smoke detector in your home makes you a wussy and a coward to, right?

Having a tire Iron in your car and a lift jack makes you a wussy ad a coward too, right?

lol..... senseless post is senseless.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times
Quote:
You assume the nature of tyranny dies with the era, it does not it evolves..
I don't assume that. I'm demonstrating how our global society has evolved to a more democratic-styled world. The pen has become mightier. I can see why that news would upset a gunlover.....

Quote:
Human nature never changes, you ignore this fact
Thefts still steal
Rapist still rape
Murders still murder
I don't ignore it. I've posted several time how crime has gone down due to better law enforcement, legislation, and technology.

Quote:
As for liberty, it is never meant to stagnate and retreat, but meant to expend and aid the human condition..
you are the side who refuses to understand the criminals do not follow the law, yet still wish for more laws, the same laws that disarm law abiding Americans, stripping them of their rights and making them victims...
People still murder with murder laws, so don't try and lecture me about understanding criminals.

You seem oblivious to the fact that America has more crime and more guns than our peers.

Quote:
Ever notice how most of your arguments are cemented on emotion over fact?
No emotion at all, just facts on how the world has progressed. Not surprising gunlovers get all upset when you discuss their toys.....

Quote:
We have the right to keep and bear arms and the right shall not be infringed upon.

Now lets get the machine gun registry back open so I can get a cheap select fire belt fed AR15, shall we?
Whatever you need to feel like a secure man.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies