Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ah, atheists lack morals.
I'm surprised this argument wasn't presented earlier.

So the Westboro church is moral.
Got it!
Everyone knows that the Westboro "church" is anything but.
That's one group the crooked IRS should have went after......

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Unless you've experienced it, you really have no idea what it can do to you. Richard Dawkins may not think being fondled is a big deal, but trust me...it is. It's a VERY BIG deal for those of us who have experienced it. It's devastating and life-changing.
Dawkins did experience it. If you expect people to take you at your word as to its effect on you, we have to take his word as to its lack of effect on him.

Everyone familiar with the topic, or who bothers to find out, knows that not every sexually abused child is traumatized. Probably, in fact, most are not. By itself, that doesn't say much; most people who drive drunk don't get in collisions, but we nevertheless don't permit drunk driving because the increased risk is unacceptable, and so I would say it is with adult-child sex.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Why is anyone surprised by Dawkins on this? Most religions provide some basic moral foundation. Dawkins cannot make claim to a moral foundation other than one of his own invention. That is the beauty of Atheism, you get to be your own god, make your own rules and complain about the rules of others who adhere to some structured religion that has a set of standards even if some are "odd" (to be kind).
Total logical failure. There is no way of getting from "religions teach morality" to "morality only exists within (or because of) religion." That's fundamentally absurd, and most theologians would find it as laughable as I do.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The Left will soon be pushing for legalized "mild pedophilia" then full blown pedo. BABY STEPS PEOPLE...BABY STEPS.. It's called "nudge".

Proof you have no ability to rationale debate politics or understand other peoples point of view

Lets get this straight. . .any sexual contact with a minor who is to young to consent is rape. I don't care about dawkins or anyone else. I do not know of any liberal or conservative who believes otherwise. . except Dawkins, and who cares what he thinks of as touching?

I'm sure some of you only see the world in: Liberals want you to have sex with anyone

Conservatives don't want that, but would prefer to allow rapist to rape women at will as long as its not homosexual

Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Proof you have no ability to rationale debate politics or understand other peoples point of view

Lets get this straight. . .any sexual contact with a minor who is to young to consent is rape. I don't care about dawkins or anyone else. I do not know of any liberal or conservative who believes otherwise. . except Dawkins, and who cares what he thinks of as touching?

I'm sure some of you only see the world in: Liberals want you to have sex with anyone

Conservatives don't want that, but would prefer to allow rapist to rape women at will as long as its not homosexual
And that is based on what ? Our current laws today.
And our current laws today are not made in stone. The laws can be changed if you get the right people in politics.
You always walk on the edge of the slippery slope when dealing with social issues and changing the perception and laws of what once was immoral and illegal to being moral and legal in the eyes of the law.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that is based on what ? Our current laws today.
And our current laws today are not made in stone. The laws can be changed if you get the right people in politics.
You always walk on the edge of the slippery slope when dealing with social issues and changing the perception and laws of what once was immoral and illegal to being moral and legal in the eyes of the law.
You disagree. . .than fine. you believe that minor boys can consent to teachers. . .than thats your op. I would consider you a rapist, and would pursue legislation to lock you up if you engage in such activity

I think it varies by state and country, but most states do not allow kids to consent AND would consider it rape.

it is technically a law

but if you vote for child consent sex, i'll vote against. There are more people like me.

and if you think there is some liberal agenda to allow minors to consent to sex with authority figures than. . your nuts.

The more conservative the state/nations/country the LOWER the consent /marriage age is. Progressive or more liberal countries raise the rates and protect the rights of woman/children (on average).

Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
There will be a push to normalize pedophilia. Sodomy and gay sex are now accepted as normal behavior. Soon it will be Nambla who used to march with the gays , will go the route of acceptance through civil rights and taking the stigma out of man boy sexual relations .

It is a sick world..

"Pedophilia" on track to become "Minor Attracted" and protected as "sexual orientation" | Peace . Gold . Liberty

Old 09-13-2013, 12:41 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Dawkins actually voiced the same opinion in The God Delusion. His argument was that although the Catholic Church pedophilia scandal is pretty awful, especially in the coverup, pedophilia was fairly rampant in both Protestant churches and secular schools around the same time. Any time adults have authority over children, whether in a religious setting or not, there is an opportunity for terrible things to happen. Basically, he was saying that there are million other good reasons to leave the church: the pedophilia scandals being one of the least of those reasons.

That's the context anyways. I do disagree with him though, as I find the pedophilia scandals incredibly disgusting and psychological harmful.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Dawkins did experience it. If you expect people to take you at your word as to its effect on you, we have to take his word as to its lack of effect on him.

Everyone familiar with the topic, or who bothers to find out, knows that not every sexually abused child is traumatized. Probably, in fact, most are not. By itself, that doesn't say much; most people who drive drunk don't get in collisions, but we nevertheless don't permit drunk driving because the increased risk is unacceptable, and so I would say it is with adult-child sex.
So you are saying it will not affect a boy if he is sexually raped .. next it will be - if the child is consenting it is ok..

Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
There will be a push to normalize pedophilia. Sodomy and gays are now accepted as normal behavior. Soon it will be Nambla who used to march with the gays , will go the route of acceptance through civil rights and taking the stigma out of man boy sexual relations .

It is a sick world..

"Pedophilia" on track to become "Minor Attracted" and protected as "sexual orientation" | Peace . Gold . Liberty
God, try a bit of critical thinking in your life

Slippery Slope Fallacy

I think there will always be extremiest on all sides, but there is no evidence to support your claim. Its a bit like saying that if we allow you to drive 55mph, that ducks will be allowed to buy houses. There is no link between consenting sex between two adults and the policies around protecting children from harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies