Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,379,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Racist? He was certainly good to the Japanese-Americans. Giving Reparations of $20,000 to each survivor.

Funny though that almost immediately after this magnanimous gift, he slithered over to Japan where he was given a $2,000,000 speaking fee. That in itself has no smell of racism at all (just bribery) - that is unless maybe you were a Black person sitting around watching this on the news and wondering why the Japanese deserved to be paid for being sent to a camp for 3 years - while Black folks ancestors spent their entire lives in hard labor slavery.

I am not arguing that reparations are right or wrong - or that it was a racist act. But I bet it sure seemed like a racist slap in the face to A-A citizens to see their president appear to take a bribe to pay off Japanese while Blacks couldn't even get a Slavery reparations discussed.

There is no consensus on the left that Reagan was a Racist - no more than any other person - it is a silly concept. The only reason that anyone could or would be justified in saying there was if is there was a "lefties" only vote held and the resulting outcome of the vote was that Reagan was indeed a racist.

But I bet there are plenty of individuals that would be willing to say they think he was. Was he more racist than a real-life Archie Bunker like person - that is up to individuals to decide. For me personally, the position his administration took on Apartheid says, "yes", he was.

Ann Coulter? Not even worth discussing her antics, mis-statements, and distortions and alleged outright lies.

Ronald Reagan greatness is all a lie. Supported by those were not there and only go by what they have heard, and by those who do not wish to see or acknowledge the documented corruption and his self-admitted crimes, blindness to critical public health concerns, and foolish economics. Personally, I think too many people conflate his being what they consider a good person with the reality of his presidency - ignoring what they don't want to see or understand. He is a Myth - St. Ronnie!
Many of us were there. Many of us have studied and researched extensively about those days. While many of you simply allow people to make your opinions for you that have less than honest intentions when they pull your strings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:52 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,304,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
You're splitting hairs not me lol. Your argument is that saying it's in Philadelphia is wrong and makes liberals arguments tying the fair grounds to Philadelphia invalid, right... Well the fact that their mailing address is in Philadelphia, that they are in the same county, and the fair probably has the most attendees from Philadelphia completely dismisses your argument and that seems pretty obvious. If you argue that it's technically like a mile outside of city limits and hence liberals attaching the murder of 3 civil rights workers in Philadelphia to the same attended of that fair is wrong, well then you are really splitting hairs lol.

I debated both Even a broken clock is right twice a day right, which is why I would never dismiss all claims from even a crazy person, though Coulter is full of it with those claims. Again believe he's racist or not, the same people that are affiliated with the racism that killed those three civil workers spilled over into that fair, it's impossible to discern how much of course and I would never imply I knew how much despite you implying it couldn't have.
Turns out this has all been debated before:
The Southern strategy.........lies people tell

The fairgrounds are about 5 miles away from Philadelphia MS. If you want to say that's in Philadelphia, even though it's not, I suppose that is your choice.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "the same people that are affiliated with the racism that killed those three civil workers spilled over into that fair."

As Ann Coulter points out Michael Dukakis gave a speech at those same fairgrounds in 1988. Does that make him somehow suspect too?

Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,304,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As someone who has actually BEEN to Philidelphia, MS let me 'splain this to you.

The fairgrounds are actually about 3 miles from the edge of Philadelphia. The fairgrounds have a horse track and a good sized grandstand which is probably why the event was held there.

It's ridiculous to consider the fact that the event wasn't held in the middle of Philidelphia to be any sort of "point".

If we are going to go with "facts": the church the Klan burned down (that Schwerner, Goodman and Chaney visited) wasn't in Philidelphia. The murders didn't happen in Philidelphia either.

I didn't know that the church and murders were not in Philadelphia. All that means is that the liberals who concocted this whole fantastical meme about Reagan and Philadelphia, MS made multiple errors. That does not surprise me.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:30 AM

10,815 posts, read 14,885,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The Reagan Administration was the most corupt administration in American history.

Reagan administration scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reagan also created huge deficits and grew Americas national debt with tax cuts for the rich (or as he called them trickle down economics and the supply side formula.)

Why are you glamorising and protecting R. Reagan ??
Because it worked.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:51 AM

72,846 posts, read 62,272,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here is the speech. Libs, please listen to it and tell me what is so offensive about it.

Ronald Reagan States' Rights Speech in Philadelphia, MS - YouTube
This is the way I see it. Whenever Blacks have heard "states' rights" in the past, it was always referring to making sure Blacks got the short end of everything. And consider this. This is 1980. The Civil Rights Act was only 15 years before. Alot of Blacks do not trust "states' rights" because of stuff that happened in the 50s and 60s.

Something else. Reagan implemented stricter gun laws while governor of California. Go look up the Mulford Act.

The Black Panther Party protested by marching in Sacramento with guns in their hands. The Panthers knew they needed to defend themselves and Blacks against bigoted police officers, and saw this as a way to keep Blacks from defending themselves. Traditionally, strict gun control was a way of keeping Blacks from having guns.

The Panthers Were Right and Reagan Was Wrong on Gun Control | The Beacon

Reagan was against the Civil Rights legislation of the 60s. He claimed it was "states' rights" issue. For Black people who have long been subjected to all kinds of abuse at the hands of southern state governments, Blacks aren't going to support a man who goes along those lines, period.

And a quote from Reagan:

"if an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so." That was from 1966. If I am a Black person hearing that, I'm not going to support that person. What does that person have to offer me as a Black man, if he supports allowing people to discriminate against me? What is my gain from it?

He once stated that he considered Jefferson Davis a hero of his. Davis was a slave owner who fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War. And the elite plantation owners and politicians cited their desire to keep slavery as a major reason for seceding from the USA. Ironic that Reagan was President of the USA, and considered Jefferson Davis a hero. Being a Black man who is the descendent of slaves, I despise anything having to do with the Confederacy, because the desire to keep slavery was a major reason behind it. It's written the Articles of Secession.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:00 AM

13,281 posts, read 7,825,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

And a quote from Reagan:

"if an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so." That was from 1966. If I am a Black person hearing that, I'm not going to support that person. What does that person have to offer me as a Black man, if he supports allowing people to discriminate against me? What is my gain from it?
Would you rent your home to a white person?

Have you taken a look at how they ARE?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:37 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,119,443 times
So here are a few links that support the FACTS that:
  • Reagan did sign the bill giving reparations to the Japanese
  • Reagan did go to Japan and picp up $2,000,000 in speaking fees shortly thereafter
  • Reagan Did admit to the illegal actions of his administration
  • Reagan did Ignore the Aids crisis
Here are just a few links that these Reagan fetishists can look up for themselves and remind themselves of what actually happened - as opposed to the myths generated since. Anyone who can refute these FACTS are welcome to do so...
  1. National Archives Commemorates the 25th Anniversary of the Civil Liberties Act
  2. Reagan's Fall From Grace : The $2-Million Japan Tour, Nancy's Vengeful Memoirs and Legal Battles Over the Iran-Contra Affair Have Made His Retirement Anything but Restful - Los Angeles Times
  3. Eight Days in Japan Earn Ron and Nancy $2 Million?Now That's Reaganomics : People.com
  4. Cold War Museum
  5. Ronald Reagan Expresses Regret over the Iran Contra Scandal (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube
  6. Ignoring AIDS: The Reagan Years | Democracy Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Interesting. I was unaware of the reparations paid to Japanese Americans and a 2 million dollar speaking fee? Did I read that rght?
Yes, there are many who forget about this little gem of Reagan history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Ronald Reagan greatness is all a lie. Supported by those were not there and only go by what they have heard,"

Well, I WAS there so there goes your credibility. If you had any which I doubt.
Supported by those were not there and only go by what they have heard, and by those who do not wish to see or acknowledge the documented corruption and his self-admitted crimes, blindness to critical public health concerns, and foolish economics.

If you are going to try to discredit someone's statement you shouldn't do it by only displaying a part of their quote... There goes YOUR credibility... Too much Fox News for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Many of us were there. Many of us have studied and researched extensively about those days. While many of you simply allow people to make your opinions for you that have less than honest intentions when they pull your strings.
Yes, you may have been there, how does that make your interpretation any better than someone else who was also there? Go ahead and use your "research" to dispute the facts if you can.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-06-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,379,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So here are a few links that support the FACTS that:
  • Reagan did sign the bill giving reparations to the Japanese
  • Reagan did go to Japan and picp up $2,000,000 in speaking fees shortly thereafter
  • Reagan Did admit to the illegal actions of his administration
  • Reagan did Ignore the Aids crisis
Here are just a few links that these Reagan fetishists can look up for themselves and remind themselves of what actually happened - as opposed to the myths generated since. Anyone who can refute these FACTS are welcome to do so...
  1. National Archives Commemorates the 25th Anniversary of the Civil Liberties Act
  2. Reagan's Fall From Grace : The $2-Million Japan Tour, Nancy's Vengeful Memoirs and Legal Battles Over the Iran-Contra Affair Have Made His Retirement Anything but Restful - Los Angeles Times
  3. Eight Days in Japan Earn Ron and Nancy $2 Million?Now That's Reaganomics : People.com
  4. Cold War Museum
  5. Ronald Reagan Expresses Regret over the Iran Contra Scandal (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube
  6. Ignoring AIDS: The Reagan Years | Democracy Now!

Yes, there are many who forget about this little gem of Reagan history.

Yes, you may heve been there, but you were obviously asleep, or as I stated refuse to see the facts that were right before your eyes.
That's exactly what I mean. DemocracyNow, the LA Times, etc. etc. etc.

Why don't you use real sources like the thousands of documents in the Reagan Library or FAS. Then come to your own conclusions. Instead you simply parrot other people's opinions which is why you folks always fail in your attempts to put RR in a nice little box. PBS has a 4 hour documentary on him in its American Experience series. FAS has all of his Decision Directives including National Security Decision Directives and the assessments that back them up.

Or you could hang out in liberal la la land constantly getting confirmation from biased sources. I guess you've already made your decision. In making that decision though try to remember that you're completely silent about the Iran-Bosnia deal of the Clinton administration and that all presidents go on to speak later for money after their presidency is over. Reagan also spoke in Japan in 1983. He spoke at Moscow University near the end of his presidency too.

In case you didn't know it was Carter who started the investigation into the intern camps and Reagan simply signed the bill that was passed via the democrats in congress. The bill was sponsored by Mineta (D) and Simpson (R). Where's your outrage at the 312 congress critters -- mostly democrats -- who passed the bill?

And the mantra that Reagan ignored the AIDS epidemic is getting annoying. What was the funding for AIDS research in 1982? 1983? 1984? 1985? How about the rest of his years as president? You can find that information in the 3rd link below on page 12. Make sure you come back and tell everyone what you found.

http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/...aids-timeline/
http://www.oar.nih.gov/about/history.asp
http://www.law.umaryland.edu/marshal...3103232005.pdf

Last edited by BigJon3475; 07-06-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,272,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Would you rent your home to a white person?

Have you taken a look at how they ARE?
I would rent to anyone. If you can pay the rent, are of good moral character, and you keep your place clean, I don't care what race or ethnicity you are.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:05 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,119,443 times
Quote:
That's exactly what I mean. DemocracyNow, the LA Times, etc. etc. etc.

Why don't you use real sources like the thousands of documents in the Reagan Library or FAS. Then come to your own conclusions. Instead you simply parrot other people's opinions which is why you folks always fail in your attempts to put RR in a nice little box. PBS has a 4 hour documentary on him in its American Experience series. FAS has all of his Decision Directives including National Security Decision Directives and the assessments that back them up.
What are you disputing... Reagan's own words about I-C? Or the FACT that he signed the bill and Got the speaking fees... It doesn't matter what kind of website is quoted... THESE ARE FACTS. Use any website you want to Dispute them. They are not in the Reagan Library? Surprise, surprise, surprise. When I build my own library, I think I will leave out the part about stealing a nickel from my sister when I was a kid.

Quote:
Or you could hang out in liberal la la land constantly getting confirmation from biased sources. I guess you've already made your decision. In making that decision though try to remember that you're completely silent about the Iran-Bosnia deal of the Clinton administration and that all presidents go on to speak later for money after their presidency is over. Reagan also spoke in Japan in 1983. He spoke at Moscow University near the end of his presidency too.
So, now we are deflecting again... Can't factually dispute Reagan's crimes, so lets talk about Clinton and Carter. BTW, when did Carter get paid $2M?

Reagan went to Japan and received his speaking fees in 1989.

Quote:
In case you didn't know it was Carter who started the investigation into the intern camps and Reagan simply signed the bill that was passed via the democrats in congress. The bill was sponsored by Mineta (D) and Simpson (R). Where's your outrage at the 312 congress critters -- mostly democrats -- who passed the bill?
Guess you didn't read the part where I said, I am not saying the reparations were right or wrong. Just that they smelled in light of the fees. And the whole statement was in reference to the perceived racism.

I don't care to go off on a Magical Mystery tour with you. Please respond to what I wrote, not want you want to think I wrote -- which btw is the entire point about Regan fetishists.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-06-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies