Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times

Advertisements

If Reagan's racist campaign speech at Philadelphia were the only evidence for the racist nature of his politics most of us wouldn't keep making the point, but it is not.

In the context of the time, and anyone who denies this is a liar, going to the South and saying that you support "states' rights" was understood, especially by racists, as an appeal to racism, and to the southern racists who were fighting against federal efforts to eliminate racial discrimination.

In addition, Reagan supported the racist policies of Bob Jones "University".

He opposed any effective measures to combat apartheid in South Africa.

He constantly made racist appeals to "big bucks" (itself a racist term to refer to young black men) abusing the Food Stamp program.

In the 1960's he opposed both the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. (And yes, everyone who opposed both those bills was a racist.)

You can retell any number of stories about how, in his personal dealings, he was nice to black people, but that has no effect on the argument. His politics, his policies, and his government embodied the strategy explained by Republican mastermind Lee Atwater:

Quote:
''You start out in 1954 by saying, '******, ******, ******.' By 1968 you can't say '******' -- that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A9639C8B63

So don't even try to pretend that Reagan throughout his political life was not a racist.

http://rationalresistance.blogspot.c...-at-10030.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:05 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Let`s not forget RR`s "welfare queen". Racist ? You bet.
Return of the 'Welfare Queen' - CNN.com

Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The 1980 election was the first election where I was old enough to vote.

I don't remember anyone calling Reagan a racist at that time.

Who exactly is making this claim?
Indeed. This is the first I've heard of it. Sounds like manufactured outrage to me.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Let`s not forget RR`s "welfare queen". Racist ? You bet.
Return of the 'Welfare Queen' - CNN.com
I don't know whether personally, Reagan was a racist or not, but he certainly used appeals to racists to get elected. And it worked.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Apparently you aren't paying attention.

It started with his speech in MS. Hell, I remember when he was in office he was accused of having the CIA spread crack throughout black neighborhoods in an attempt to kill black folk. I had kinda forgot about that one but I brother I work with was talking about that not to long ago. He's an otherwise intelligent person.

Reagan helped spread HIV to kill off the gays too. You aint never read a liberal history account? Reagan was a devious bastard.
Well you were paying attention to too much political garbage talk. I tend to not waste my time with historical garbage like that. Is there anyone today who thinks Reagan was a racist that you have been hearing from?

Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
I will concede that R. Reagan hated dictators, was not a coward, had great family values, and was not a racist.
Was not a coward? Reagan did everything he could to dodge serving in combat during WWII. Just like that other draft-dodger, John Wayne. Reagan found some doctor to "say" Reagan had bad eyesight. Funny thing: Reagan made dozens of chimp films and never wore glasses. Reagan defines cowardice.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I've never seen Reagan as a racist.

I've always thought he was more of a gun grabber who had no problem giving guns to radical Muslims, and pro union when he belonged to one, yet anti union when he left the union
Racist? Not my perception.
He was an actor and took direction well from his handlers.

After his death, his children said he had shown signs of Alzheimer's while in office. This may explain why he spent 484 days at his California ranch instead of the white house.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If Reagan's racist campaign speech at Philadelphia were the only evidence for the racist nature of his politics most of us wouldn't keep making the point, but it is not.

In the context of the time, and anyone who denies this is a liar, going to the South and saying that you support "states' rights" was understood, especially by racists, as an appeal to racism, and to the southern racists who were fighting against federal efforts to eliminate racial discrimination.

In addition, Reagan supported the racist policies of Bob Jones "University".

He opposed any effective measures to combat apartheid in South Africa.

He constantly made racist appeals to "big bucks" (itself a racist term to refer to young black men) abusing the Food Stamp program.

In the 1960's he opposed both the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. (And yes, everyone who opposed both those bills was a racist.)

You can retell any number of stories about how, in his personal dealings, he was nice to black people, but that has no effect on the argument. His politics, his policies, and his government embodied the strategy explained by Republican mastermind Lee Atwater:

Impossible, Ridiculous, Repugnant - Op-Ed - NYTimes.com

So don't even try to pretend that Reagan throughout his political life was not a racist.

Rational Resistance: Reagan at 100/30
Now we've got a dilemma. Some lefties say that they never, ever heard any accuse Reagan of being a racist, while others say that he was a straight-up racist. We've even had a mention of the well-loved 'welfare queen' reference. Which is it? This is what happens when prevaricators don't take the time to get their stories straight. I'm actually disappointed.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Now we've got a dilemma. Some lefties say that they never, ever heard any accuse Reagan of being a racist, while others say that he was a straight-up racist. We've even had a mention of the well-loved 'welfare queen' reference. Which is it? This is what happens when prevaricators don't take the time to get their stories straight. I'm actually disappointed.
Some of us don't care what Reagan was called, others do.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Hmm, from what I read he apeealed to the racist factions of this country, often referred to blackmen as "big bucks" a well known slave term, had a part in the spread of crack throughout the country and had one the most corrupt administrations in recent history, but yet some of you are defending him as being a racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies