Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times

Advertisements

I went to elementary school a decade ago. I was taught that government was meant to protect all of us.

Regardless, even if government is like family, you can't always trust family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 12:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What do you think a republic is?
Off topic.

"The republic" is the order the Constitution imposes. That of extremely limited central government.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
"The republic" is the order the Constitution imposes. That of extremely limited central government.
That's right, a republic is a form of government. Very good. You get an A+. Now, you were saying something stupid about how the pledge of allegiance doesn't pledge allegiance to the government...?

I love when idiots out themselves.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
That's right, a republic is a form of government. Very good. You get an A+. Now, you were saying something stupid about how the pledge of allegiance doesn't pledge allegiance to the government...?

I love when idiots out themselves.
No, you just demonstrated your own dishonesty.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No, you just demonstrated your own dishonesty.
Explain.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Might have been 2nd. Social Studies started about then. Typically what jobs people did.

"Janie's dad is a coal miner. His work helps keep us warm".
"Bob's dad is a policeman. He keeps us safe and works for all of us".
I remember that! We had to get our dad's job title, and tell the class. Believe me, "Superintendent of Mechanical Maintenance" was quite a mouthful. I think this was in 5th or 6th grade. Before that I just said, "he works in a steel mill", which some people didn't believe because he wore a suit to work.

Quote:
If they didn't then the Pittsburgh education system is a bigger ****hole than has been reported since I went to school in PA so had the same curriculum as you would have, if you're my age.

That probably explains Ravenstahl.
LOL! Agreed.

Quote:
I remember some of it because, since my dad had just died, I had to sit out (along with one of the girls in the class) whenever "what your dad does" was discussed. When I say "sit out" I mean exactly that, we moved to seats near the cloakroom (real old building) and had to watch the other kids talk about what their dads did. Found out later some of them "hid" some things, though.

I also couldn't participate in any of the Father/Son events in Scouts later on, even with an uncle.
That's a shame! Thank goodness times have changed in that regard!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Explain.
Just go back and read through what I said.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:46 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Might have been 2nd. Social Studies started about then. Typically what jobs people did.

"Janie's dad is a coal miner. His work helps keep us warm".
"Bob's dad is a policeman. He keeps us safe and works for all of us".
Exactly right.. It does not take much in the brains department to understand what the teacher's point was. The sense of community, civility and the concept of how we are all interconnected to some degree is a concept that has become radioactive to the right wing. This is why there is such a gap between the haves and the have nots in this country. The "I got mine, the hell with you" attitude and the good old "nobody helped me build that" mantra is most likely what the teacher was rejecting. Good for her.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Just go back and read through what I said.
Meaning you have no explanation. Which surprises no one here. After claiming that the pledge of allegiance doesn't actually call for anyone to pledge any allegiance, your mental acuity has been well documented in this thread. Thanks for entertaining us this afternoon.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:10 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My schools never did to my knowledge. I know this kind of thing was popular back in the day when information was scarce and the government wanted everyone to be on the same page about stuff like sending people off to war and all that jazz. There was definitely a push for this kind of thinking. It's hard to do that today since everyone knows too much and people can get all sorts of information on everything without it being filtered through limited sources. Plus people are just naturally skeptical of everything and everyone, which really isn't any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies