Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
How the Obamabots possibly can say he's done well and the economy is booming when it was released today that Americans in poverty has risen from 6 million when he took office to 64 million is completely beyond comprehension.

Posted with TapaTalk
The Mismeasure of Poverty
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/op...f-poverty.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Nice try.....the fact is that the ACTUAL number went from 6 million to 46 million.

Since we have measured that figure at 6 million the same way we measured the 64 million, it's REAL.

Ignoring that and stuffing your ears with Obama posters only makes you one who denies reality.

Posted with TapaTalk

Last edited by Bludy-L; 09-18-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Nice try.....the fact is that the ACTUAL number went from 6 million to 64 million.

Since we have measured that figure at 6 million the same way we measured the 64 million, it's REAL.

Ignoring that and stuffing your ears with Obama posters only makes you one who denies reality.

Posted with TapaTalk
Since you haven't cited where your numbers come from, you merely asserted them as facts, you are hardly in a position to dispute the New York Times.

According to the graph, there were 40 million people in poverty in 1959 and there are 43 million in 2009, even though the population has more than doubled. If there are indeed 64 million in poverty, that rate is still lower than 1959.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Since you haven't cited where your numbers come from, you merely asserted them as facts, you are hardly in a position to dispute the New York Times.

According to the graph, there were 40 million people in poverty in 1959 and there are 43 million in 2009, even though the population has more than doubled.
That's interesting. Obama supporters constantly feel they're in a position to dispute the source of any information that's negative regarding Obama. This is of course regardless of whether they can present any facts to back up their dispute or not. Isn't it funny how that works......

Old 09-18-2013, 12:46 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,457,746 times
Quote:

I already said the US Census released the figures today!

Don't you read headlines?

The method of measurement is the same between 2008 and 2012. Therefore, it's an ALARMING increase.

Edit: 6 million to 46 million. I transposed the 6 and 4.

Edit II: Census PDF released today: http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p60-245.pdf

Posted with TapaTalk

Last edited by Bludy-L; 09-18-2013 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Wow if this is the review they give President Obama, it begs the question if they were honest and honorable in their assessment of things when a Republican was in the White House. Given that it is a RWNJ blog, I suspect not.
Things weren't perfect when Bush was in office, but Obama made them 10 times worse.

Look at the number of people now whose belongings are in shopping carts and living on the streets, I've never seen that many in my entire life, even during the Carter years (in my early 20s)

Look at the deficit we have now, 17 trillion and growing.

The price of gasoline at around $3.40 (regular grade) and higher in other states, like California.

Have you been to a grocery store lately and seen grocery prices?

I can go on and on, but I'll stop. If what we're seeing isn't an honest assessment, I'm not sure what is.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:31 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
That's interesting. Obama supporters constantly feel they're in a position to dispute the source of any information that's negative regarding Obama. This is of course regardless of whether they can present any facts to back up their dispute or not. Isn't it funny how that works......

I believe we all have the right to disagree with ANY administration.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
"We" dispute claims that are demonstrably false -- and I ALWAYS present the data disputing the false claims. This is a case in point:

Quote:
I already said the US Census released the figures today!

Don't you read headlines?

The method of measurement is the same between 2008 and 2012. Therefore, it's an ALARMING increase.

Edit: 6 million to 46 million. I transposed the 6 and 4.

Edit II: Census PDF released today: http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p60-245.pdf

Posted with TapaTalk
Your link disputes your own claim. According to Figure 4 (page 13) poverty was about 40 million in 2008, not 6 million, as you claim. So, poverty was increased by 6 million due to the 2008 economic upheaval -- the worst since the Great Depression.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Things weren't perfect when Bush was in office, but Obama made them 10 times worse.

Look at the number of people now whose belongings are in shopping carts and living on the streets, I've never seen that many in my entire life, even during the Carter years (in my early 20s)

Look at the deficit we have now, 17 trillion and growing.

The price of gasoline at around $3.40 (regular grade) and higher in other states, like California.

Have you been to a grocery store lately and seen grocery prices?

I can go on and on, but I'll stop. If what we're seeing isn't an honest assessment, I'm not sure what is.
Yes, the debt has increased to about $17 trillion. As explained many times, that's what happens in an economic decline when revenues fall. It's also important to note that we wouldn't have debt at all had not been for the 2001 and 2003 Bush tax-cuts.

Below is the price of gasoline since 1990. Notice it was over four dollars before Obama was elected and then fell during the economic collapse? It really hasn't risen much during his presidency.

By bringing up groceries, you are trying to imply that inflation is high. While some grocery items may have risen others fell (you ignore those.) That's why inflation is measured counting thousands of items. Overall inflation has been low under Obama -- typically less than 2%:

What this really shows is that people like you on the right believe things that just aren't true -- as if they you live in a universe with your own set of facts.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
No he didn't. He made things four times better, and would have made things ten times better if Republicans didn't start practicing self-centered obstructionism, instead of participatory government.

Quote:
I can go on and on, but I'll stop.
I doubt that. The typical right-wing approach to denying the reality of the lack of social conscience in right-wing perspective is to just keep repeating the same rhetoric despite being show its moral deficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies