Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times

Advertisements

It sounds to me like they shot the guy and then tasered him after the fact to establish a story. Inexcusable.
But I can see where this situation was so hard to figure out. A guy crashes his car and is probably somewhat disoriented and not thinking clearly. He pounds on a door in the middle of the night trying to get help. I'd certainly call the police if I was the homeowner, we've had situations where people were trying to break in homes while under the influence. So no blame to the homeowner.
Then the police show up and confront the guy. Not using the best judgment or taking the time to access the situation, they shoot him. He may have been not as responsive as he could have been, who knows. Maybe drunk, maybe injured and not thinking straight, maybe mad that nobody would help him. They've had police shoot deaf people and people in diabetic shock. Shooting an unarmed man is just crappy unprofessional police work at the least and they have to accept the consequences.
When I first read the story no mention of race was mentioned and it didn't factor in to the case or the story. It still doesn't.
Do you people still really want to live in a police state?

Old 09-17-2013, 06:54 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The cops used a taser, it didn't stop him.
I'm not buying the taser portion occurred exactly how the cops described.

Also, unloading 12 bullets on a man, with 10 hitting, is beyond excessive. That Cop meant to kill when he fired that many shots.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Lol if you think Asians and Hispanics are going to throw in their lot with Blacks you are sadly mistaken.
And if you think racist whites think of Asians or Hispanics any better then blacks you are sadly mistaken. Just look at the Indian Miss America. She's been called everything nasty under the sun. People are on twitter calling her a terrorist.

As for this case race aside, that cop deseveres many, many decades in jail.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It sounds to me like they shot the guy and then tasered him after the fact to establish a story. Inexcusable.
But I can see where this situation was so hard to figure out. A guy crashes his car and is probably somewhat disoriented and not thinking clearly. He pounds on a door in the middle of the night trying to get help. I'd certainly call the police if I was the homeowner, we've had situations where people were trying to break in homes while under the influence. So no blame to the homeowner.
Then the police show up and confront the guy. Not using the best judgment or taking the time to access the situation, they shoot him. He may have been not as responsive as he could have been, who knows. Maybe drunk, maybe injured and not thinking straight, maybe mad that nobody would help him. They've had police shoot deaf people and people in diabetic shock. Shooting an unarmed man is just crappy unprofessional police work at the least and they have to accept the consequences.
When I first read the story no mention of race was mentioned and it didn't factor in to the case or the story. It still doesn't.
Do you people still really want to live in a police state?
That's a very good question.

A lot of these posters have a slave mentality.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
As a black person, to me, it doesn't matter that the cop was white. It matters that it was a cop who shot an unarmed, injured man looking for help. As a black person, who has had horrible interactions with police, I will say that black people in general are mistrustful of them, they frequently harass and demean us and if this were a black cop I would feel just as disgusted. FWIW, in many ways, I think that black cops are worse to black citizens than white cops are because they do not have the history of racial prejudice that white people have in this country and I personally feel they are more disrespectful and violent due to that because the many instances where black cops injur or shoot black people don't make the news or get the attention that a white cop in a similar circumstance would get, which I feel is a double standard.
Can you consider that maybe, just maybe part of the reason why blacks might be treated badly by cops is that they have the most problems with blacks in terms of violence and being disrespected by them? It seems like very many blacks don't respect police or authority in general. Not to say many whites aren't disrespectful or aren't rude and confrontational towards cops, but it seems blacks do this very often. If you want cops to treat you nicely, you have to do the same for them don't you think?

For me personally, the few interactions I've had with police in my life (mostly to do with traffic violations), I've always been respectful, calm and pleasant with them and in return they were the same with me. And even if I were black and the cops were total douchebags to me, I'd STILL act the same way and give them as little reason to mess with me as possible. If they still insisted on doing something bad to me, then I'll just sue later. No need to resist and risk physical harm to myself and possibly even death because I did something that provoked them inadvertantly or not.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Right. There is a pattern in this area and have been several reports of someone knocking on the door and when no one comes to answer, they kick the door down. This has happened all hours of the day. I expect people to use my doorbell. Wasn't the homeowner a lady living alone? I would have called the police too.

If the person killed had been the policeman; you would have heard nothing about it on national news.

I am wondering what caused the man to wreck. I have heard nothing of any other cars being involved. Most people would have called for help on their cell phone. The whole thing was very strange and I don't think the policeman was the only person that was at fault. It is a very sad situation but please do not make someone just trying to do his job in keeping others safe like the homeowner the scapegoat.
Who else is at fault, in your opinion?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Can you consider that maybe, just maybe part of the reason why blacks might be treated badly by cops is that they have the most problems with blacks in terms of violence and being disrespected by them? It seems like very many blacks don't respect police or authority in general. Not to say many whites aren't disrespectful or aren't rude and confrontational towards cops, but it seems blacks do this very often. If you want cops to treat you nicely, you have to do the same for them don't you think?

For me personally, the few interactions I've had with police in my life (mostly to do with traffic violations), I've always been respectful, calm and pleasant with them and in return they were the same with me. And even if I were black and the cops were total douchebags to me, I'd STILL act the same way and give them as little reason to mess with me as possible. If they still insisted on doing something bad to me, then I'll just sue later. No need to resist and risk physical harm to myself and possibly even death because I did something that provoked them inadvertantly or not.
You've gotta know your history and why black people don't trust the Police.

Police used to routinely beat up blacks, harass, intimidate, etc.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
See this is why I think the cop may get off. At some point the cops thought this guy was some kind of threat that they tased him. Seeing that it didn't stop him the trigger happy one let one loose.
The excessive use of force will, hopefully, do the cop in. It also doesn't help that the other two officers did not recognize the guy as a threat.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 AM

Can we do citizen's arrest on Police officers?

Since the justice system won't do their job, maybe the public needs to step up.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post

You need to brush up on your American history. Police officers, judges and the like committed (and still commit) horrible offenses against black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies