U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2007, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
12,805 posts, read 8,823,071 times
Reputation: 6517

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sure. But when I lived in Europe, I was constantly asked questions by various peoples which could only be classified as inane, absurd or just plain idiotic.
There are people on the East coast who think downtown Phoenix looks like this:




It actually looks like this:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM
 
33 posts, read 70,335 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Also, more generally, is this an educational failure? Should schools try to give students a general sense of perspective as to "how things are" in other countries?
This ought to give you an answer to your question:


YouTube - Americans are NOT dumb...here's proof

(No offense meant with this post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 PM
 
2,432 posts, read 6,109,038 times
Reputation: 1035
I lived in England for two years and one big difference to note was when you watched their evening news broadcasts usually a large chunk of it was about America. And they cover everything from our politics and entertainment to occasionally what's happening in various states. By contrast we hardly ever hear anything about England on our nightly news broadcasts. Most Brits I talked to were surprised we rarely covered the UK on our nightly news broadcasts. Some of them felt insulted.

But one thing that surprised me was just how small most foreigners think the US is. I knew one guy who worked on base who was planning a vacation in Florida. He said he was going to spend a couple of days in Miami, then take an afternoon off to drive to California in a rental car and see Hollywood. He absolutely didn't believe me when I told him just how large the US was. I literally had to get out a map and prove it to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
3,589 posts, read 3,175,234 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I lived in England for two years and one big difference to note was when you watched their evening news broadcasts usually a large chunk of it was about America. And they cover everything from our politics and entertainment to occasionally what's happening in various states. By contrast we hardly ever hear anything about England on our nightly news broadcasts. Most Brits I talked to were surprised we rarely covered the UK on our nightly news broadcasts. Some of them felt insulted.
Why would we, though? Not much of interest happens there that the media bothers to report, which is probably why the UK's news broadcasts have a more international focus. I lived in a city where the daily newspaper put a sick kitten on the front page.

Quote:
But one thing that surprised me was just how small most foreigners think the US is. I knew one guy who worked on base who was planning a vacation in Florida. He said he was going to spend a couple of days in Miami, then take an afternoon off to drive to California in a rental car and see Hollywood. He absolutely didn't believe me when I told him just how large the US was. I literally had to get out a map and prove it to him.
LOL, I got that too. The UK is about the size of Indiana or Illinois, I think, square mileage-wise. They just don't understand that my STATE is bigger than their COUNTRY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM
 
12,000 posts, read 17,520,186 times
Reputation: 6093
There are people on the East coast who think downtown Phoenix looks like this:

No doubt European exchange students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
 
10,543 posts, read 12,023,769 times
Reputation: 2798
I knew a guy that was flying into New York and asked if I could pick him up at the airport. He was a little surprised when I told him no because the 20 hour drive was little more than I was willing to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,130 posts, read 10,267,655 times
Reputation: 4202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
One of the complaints of foreigners visiting the US (or even foreigners receiving US visitors) is that Americans sometimes ask incredibly ridiculous questions of them, about their countries. Things like "is there electricity in Ireland???" or "can I get ketchup in Canada???"

Have you ever seen any questions like this being asked, or do you know people who would likely ask questions like that if they were talking to a foreigner? Also, more generally, is this an educational failure? Should schools try to give students a general sense of perspective as to "how things are" in other countries?
When I met my future sister in law, she asked me if we celebrate the 4th of July in Germany..., she was about 26 at the time. I have been asked MANY very stupid questions. Another question I am asked frequently, do you speak german? Heck, no, people in Germany speak chinese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:11 PM
 
12,000 posts, read 17,520,186 times
Reputation: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I knew a guy that was flying into New York and asked if I could pick him up at the airport. He was a little surprised when I told him no because the 20 hour drive was little more than I was willing to make.
LOL! If I had a nickel for every European who thinks you can take a leisurly 1 hour drive from Boston to Vegas or Seattle to Memphis, I would be rich. It begs the question: Do they ever look at maps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:14 PM
 
12,000 posts, read 17,520,186 times
Reputation: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
When I met my future sister in law, she asked me if we celebrate the 4th of July in Germany..., she was about 26 at the time. I have been asked MANY very stupid questions. Another question I am asked frequently, do you speak german? Heck, no, people in Germany speak chinese
I am going to have to defend your sister in law. I have been in Germany, France and Switzerland on different 4th of Julys. Each time there were enough places playing up the 4th to make it a pattern. Now, the comment about you speaking German might qualify as insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 PM
 
Location: wrong planet
5,130 posts, read 10,267,655 times
Reputation: 4202
Well, I lived in Germany the first 29 years of my life. No one celebrated the 4th of July, except people on a US military base. And why should they? It is after all the Independence day of the US. Sorry, if a US citizen doesn't know that, it qualifies as extremely stupid to me, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:15 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top