U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,257,406 times

Advertisements

Another good one was a person that asked me if we all wear those "wooden shoes", excuse me, that would be the Netherlands, but no, we do not wear wooden shoes :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,166,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL! If I had a nickel for every European who thinks you can take a leisurly 1 hour drive from Boston to Vegas or Seattle to Memphis, I would be rich. It begs the question: Do they ever look at maps?
Given that they think they're better in geography than we are, the answer would unquestionably be yes!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,166,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, I lived in Germany the first 29 years of my life. No one celebrated the 4th of July, except people on a US military base. And why should they? It is after all the Independence day of the US. Sorry, if a US citizen doesn't know that, it qualifies as extremely stupid to me, LOL.
I've been asked on what date a particular European country celebrates its own independence day. The only European country I can think of that does that is France, which celebrates Bastille Day on July 14th. Maybe Ireland has an independence day to mark its independence from the UK, but I don't really know (nor do I care).

I don't think it's such a stupid question...just a naive one.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM

11,978 posts, read 17,491,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Well, I lived in Germany the first 29 years of my life. No one celebrated the 4th of July, except people on a US military base. And why should they? It is after all the Independence day of the US. Sorry, if a US citizen doesn't know that, it qualifies as extremely stupid to me, LOL.
Welll I would agree that Germany has its share of stupid people.

So dumm es ist unglaublich! Lachen!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:56 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,275,307 times
Americans seemed to be the only people that would ask Australians if they had kangaroos in their back yard... most europeans and canadians had a more realistic grasp on what australia was really like.. in fact Australia is probably more similar to the United States than canada is... and a kangaroo being in your backyard is like asking someone in cleveland.. if they have grizzly bears in their backyard.. lol

Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM

19,516 posts, read 20,895,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
Americans seemed to be the only people that would ask Australians if they had kangaroos in their back yard... most europeans and canadians had a more realistic grasp on what australia was really like.. in fact Australia is probably more similar to the United States than canada is... and a kangaroo being in your backyard is like asking someone in cleveland.. if they have grizzly bears in their backyard.. lol
You are so wrong, Boise.............

According to the Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia, the 2002 population estimate for the commercially harvested kangaroos, released by the Australian federal government, puts their numbers at 58.6 million.

This means that:
- there are more than twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are cattle (28.7 million)
- the total kangaroo population is a little more than half that of the Australian sheep population of 113.3 million.

And people? Well according to the CIA World Factbook there are 19,546,792 (July 2002 est.) There are therefore more 'roos than people in Australia!

The American black bear is the smallest of the three bears species found in North America, and are found only in North America. Black bears have short, non-retractable claws that give them an excellent tree-climbing ability.

Black bear fur is usually a uniform color except for a brown muzzle and light markings that sometimes appear on their chests. Eastern populations are usually black in color while western populations often show brown, cinnamon, and blond coloration in addition to black. Black bears with white-bluish fur are known as Kermode (glacier) bears and these unique color phases are only found in coastal British Columbia, Canada.

Height 2-3 feet at shoulders
Length 4-7 feet from nose to tip of tail
Weight Males weigh an average of 150-300 lbs.
Have been known to weigh from 500-600 lbs.; females are smaller

Lifespan Can live 20-25 years in the wild, although there is increased mortality around 10 years of age.

Diet
Omnivorous: plants, fruits, nuts, insects, honey, salmon, small mammals and carrion. In northern regions, they eat spawning salmon.
They will also occasionally kill young deer or moose calves.

Population
It is estimated that there are at least 600,000 black bears in North America. In the United States, there are estimated to be over 300,000 individuals. However, the Louisiana black bear (Ursus americanus luteolu) and Florida black bear (Ursus americanus floridanus) are threatened subspecies with small populations

And that's for the whole US! In Cleveland, except for the zoo, probably none!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,116,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I lived in England for two years and one big difference to note was when you watched their evening news broadcasts usually a large chunk of it was about America. And they cover everything from our politics and entertainment to occasionally what's happening in various states. By contrast we hardly ever hear anything about England on our nightly news broadcasts. Most Brits I talked to were surprised we rarely covered the UK on our nightly news broadcasts. Some of them felt insulted.

But one thing that surprised me was just how small most foreigners think the US is. I knew one guy who worked on base who was planning a vacation in Florida. He said he was going to spend a couple of days in Miami, then take an afternoon off to drive to California in a rental car and see Hollywood. He absolutely didn't believe me when I told him just how large the US was. I literally had to get out a map and prove it to him.
We have a dear friend from England that's been here for over 20 years, no other members of her family had ever been here up until 2 years ago. Two of her sisters came over for a week and thought they could see the entire U.S. while they were here..LOL.. They think they can drive around and see everything here in a few days like they do in England. England is a little smaller than the state of Arkansas in square miles..lol..

Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Most Americans that I encountered overseas when living in Europe were great and seemed genuinely interested in enjoying themselves, however there was always that one jackass who said something idiotic.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:09 PM

11,978 posts, read 17,491,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
For one more week, I live in the city of Washington. Directly outside my high rise there have been sightings of deer, oppossum, skunks, coyotes, foxes and raccoons. That is in an urban environment. A scant 10 miles away in the established burbs, bears pop up now and then.

So, considering Australia is bigger than the continental USA and has a population of 21 million versus 300 million in the USA. Considering that the Kangaroo is far from an endangered species and has indeed thrived since the arrival of Europeans in Oz, what exactly is so stupid about such a question?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:13 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,275,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You are so wrong, Boise.............

According to the Kangaroo Industry Association of Australia, the 2002 population estimate for the commercially harvested kangaroos, released by the Australian federal government, puts their numbers at 58.6 million.

This means that:
- there are more than twice as many kangaroos in Australia as there are cattle (28.7 million)
- the total kangaroo population is a little more than half that of the Australian sheep population of 113.3 million.

And people? Well according to the CIA World Factbook there are 19,546,792 (July 2002 est.) There are therefore more 'roos than people in Australia!

The American black bear is the smallest of the three bears species found in North America, and are found only in North America. Black bears have short, non-retractable claws that give them an excellent tree-climbing ability.

Black bear fur is usually a uniform color except for a brown muzzle and light markings that sometimes appear on their chests. Eastern populations are usually black in color while western populations often show brown, cinnamon, and blond coloration in addition to black. Black bears with white-bluish fur are known as Kermode (glacier) bears and these unique color phases are only found in coastal British Columbia, Canada.

Height 2-3 feet at shoulders
Length 4-7 feet from nose to tip of tail
Weight Males weigh an average of 150-300 lbs.
Have been known to weigh from 500-600 lbs.; females are smaller

Lifespan Can live 20-25 years in the wild, although there is increased mortality around 10 years of age.

Diet
Omnivorous: plants, fruits, nuts, insects, honey, salmon, small mammals and carrion. In northern regions, they eat spawning salmon.
They will also occasionally kill young deer or moose calves.

Population
It is estimated that there are at least 600,000 black bears in North America. In the United States, there are estimated to be over 300,000 individuals. However, the Louisiana black bear (Ursus americanus luteolu) and Florida black bear (Ursus americanus floridanus) are threatened subspecies with small populations

And that's for the whole US! In Cleveland, except for the zoo, probably none!!!

LOL.. you're right about the numbers of kangaroos.. but they don't run freely thru the streets of sydney and brisbane.. thats the point I'm trying to make.. they aren't in everyone's back yard.. you need to understand the country and that 98 percent of the population lives in populated areas around the coast.. leaving the rest to the roos and whatever else...
you missed the point mate... its not about statistics.. its perceptions of reality.. and if you want to make your perception that kangaroos bounce down oxford street because they outnumber people... then by all means...
but its just not the truth.. I could have used the comparison of deer waltzing thru times square... People and kangaroos do not have an everyday interaction in australia.. like most americans think.. that is my point.. I didn't say anything about kangaroos being hard to find on the continent... your response shows that you are comparing our sprawled people population here in america to how it might be in australia.. and it just isn't the case.... that would be like assuming everyone living in boston or new york come across deer all the time walking down the streets.. I'm not making it up.. because it is a real perception that people have of australia.. and its false...
seeing a kangaroo bouncing down the street in sydney is like seeing a bear in cleveland.. I'm not referring to numbers.. I'm refering to reality.. bears exist on this continent.. but very unlikely to be in cleveland.. kangaroos exist in great numbers in australia.. but having them in your backyard or out the back by dumpsters in sydney is just absurd... that's the point in my comparison.. I don't know what kind of attack you're trying to make on me.. but I wish you would just come out and say.. hey boise.. i don't like you.. because you sure make it a point to take a side angle and attack everything I say... grow up... and if you don't believe me.. then live in australia for 5 years like I have and find out for yourself... don't sit here and provide kangaroo numbers.. without showing people populations and densities.. people actually go to the zoo and wildlife sanctuaries to see kangaroos in australia.. they don't look out their backyard.. unless you're one of the 2% that live out in the bush...and the only people that go out to the bush are tourists.. so they can see a kangaroo.. australians don't drive cross country like we do...because there's nothing out there... so give it a rest.. you just look like an ignorant all knowing american...

here's an article about an australian artist.. and the types of misconceptions about australia he is trying show are not the case at all...

Aussie Guy's our latest ambassador - www.smh.com.au

Guy Sebastian wants to show a different side of Australia when he competes for the World Idol crown later this month.

"They (Australians) are not all like the crocodile hunter," the 21-year-old man with the afro said, laughing off images of "kangaroos bouncing around in the streets and ... Akubras".

"Australians are balanced people ... so it will be cool to represent the other side as opposed to just the ocker."

Sebastian shot to national stardom after winning the popular Australian Idol reality television series last month.

Last edited by boiseguy; 11-16-2007 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies