U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:18 PM

4,425 posts, read 5,257,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
For one more week, I live in the city of Washington. Directly outside my high rise there have been sightings of deer, oppossum, skunks, coyotes, foxes and raccoons. That is in an urban environment. A scant 10 miles away in the established burbs, bears pop up now and then.

So, considering Australia is bigger than the continental USA and has a population of 21 million versus 300 million in the USA. Considering that the Kangaroo is far from an endangered species and has indeed thrived since the arrival of Europeans in Oz, what exactly is so stupid about such a question?
because our country has people populating and sprawling into wildlife area's... australia does not have this like we do.. populations live in specific small area's around the coast... and if someone was knowlegable about the country.. they would understand that.. therefore making the chances of kangaroos bouncing down oxford street very less likely..... the point is.. if people knew more about the nation and its people and developement.. rather than wildlife statistics.. they'd realize the error in their thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:40 PM

14,231 posts, read 15,052,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
This ought to give you an answer to your question:

YouTube - Americans are NOT dumb...here's proof

(No offense meant with this post)
That video makes for arguing in favor of schools competing for educational dollars.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 PM

86,829 posts, read 102,134,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
LOL! If I had a nickel for every European who thinks you can take a leisurly 1 hour drive from Boston to Vegas or Seattle to Memphis, I would be rich. It begs the question: Do they ever look at maps?
There are a lot of people in the western US who have no idea of the vastness of the eastern US. Ohio, Massachusetts, Virginia. . . all within a couple hours drive, to their way of thinking. I knew some people who went to DC, and "since we're so close" planned a side trip to Boston for a day!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:59 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,241,037 times
Yeah I hear it all the time. My wife is Japanese. Our neighbor once asked her how far it was from Asia (he thought Asia was a country). I also find it funny how many people boil their entire dietary system down to 'fish and rice' and that's why they are so healthy. Granted, they do eat more fish and rice than a typical American, but I'd say their diet is largely much more vegetarian than anything and soy and soy byproducts are probably more of a staple than 'fish and rice.'

Other questions such as "When do they celebrate Christmas in Japan?", or statements directed at me such as "That's cool that you can understand Chinese...." I don't know... I seemed to know these things before I ever lived in Japan.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,267,081 times
I relocated from the west coast to the east coast for a few years, and the closeness of everything never did cease to surprise me. I remember having to drive from Boston to Detroit once. I thought it would take days, since Boston is way out east, and Detroit is 'Midwest.' But I actually made it in one long day.

I also remember doing a Boston to NYC road trip, and the trip being over before it even really started. A little while on the road and BAM! Hartford was looming. Another little bit and BAM! New Haven. From New Haven to Manhattan was a short little hop. Everywhere you drive in the northeast, stuff is always looming on the horizon. DC to Philly? You're barely out of DC before you're in Baltimore, and barely out of Baltimore before you're in Wilmington, and once you're in Wilmington you can basically SEE the Philly skyline looming in the distance.

It's just a different feeling than, for instance, driving from Portland to Denver.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:37 AM

32,210 posts, read 54,879,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I relocated from the west coast to the east coast for a few years, and the closeness of everything never did cease to surprise me. I remember having to drive from Boston to Detroit once. I thought it would take days, since Boston is way out east, and Detroit is 'Midwest.' But I actually made it in one long day.

I also remember doing a Boston to NYC road trip, and the trip being over before it even really started. A little while on the road and BAM! Hartford was looming. Another little bit and BAM! New Haven. From New Haven to Manhattan was a short little hop. Everywhere you drive in the northeast, stuff is always looming on the horizon. DC to Philly? You're barely out of DC before you're in Baltimore, and barely out of Baltimore before you're in Wilmington, and once you're in Wilmington you can basically SEE the Philly skyline looming in the distance.

It's just a different feeling than, for instance, driving from Portland to Denver.
so true.

SF to LA on the 5 once you leave the bay area fringes is basically empty for 350 miles till you get near northern LA County.

Ever driven from SF to Salt Lake? Once you pass Reno, its basically 500 miles on the surface of Mars.

I really appreciate that about the West.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM

As to the title of the thread, just what is a "stupid" question? It is naive to assume that Europeans/Janpanese, etc are so much more worldy than us that they wouldn't have to ask questions. Re: Do you speak German? to someone from Germany, that is not absurd. Belgium, Switzerland and several other European countries have more than one language.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:41 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,291,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
That video makes for arguing in favor of schools competing for educational dollars.
Either that or it makes one question the intelligence of those who argue in favor of schools competing for educational dollars.

On a different note, I wonder if the video producers edited out any of the responses to Name a country whose name begins with 'U' that included a cogent summary and analysis of the current political and economic situations in Uzbekistan...

Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM

5,126 posts, read 10,230,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
As to the title of the thread, just what is a "stupid" question? It is naive to assume that Europeans/Janpanese, etc are so much more worldy than us that they wouldn't have to ask questions. Re: Do you speak German? to someone from Germany, that is not absurd. Belgium, Switzerland and several other European countries have more than one language.

You don't think it is STUPID to ask a german citizen that lived in the country for 29 years if they speak GERMAN, LOL!? I do speak english and french, too, but I haven't met a german born person that lived there for 29 years that DID NOT speak german

Old 11-17-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
You don't think it is STUPID to ask a german citizen that lived in the country for 29 years if they speak GERMAN, LOL!? I do speak english and french, too, but I haven't met a german born person that lived there for 29 years that DID NOT speak german
I don't think it's totally stupid, no. Naive maybe. You know the above, but do you presume the average American knows everything about Germany? Does the average German know everything about the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies