Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times

Advertisements

I'd never blame the woman, cause she didn't know what she was doing...how could she know that the very people she'd called for protection would end up murdering an innocent man. Guess that's why for a lot of people the cops aren't an option...unless they wanna see someone die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm getting tired of the mainstream news media glomming onto some tragedies while choosing to ignore others that don't fit their narrative, such as the increasing groups of blacks attacking (and killing) whites, often heard shouting, "This is for Trayvon."
Realistically, equally as bad, this is more disturbing. A cop should not be pulling a gun on an accident victim. This abuse of power by police is too common in the South (usually in Texas).

Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The guy certainly did not deserve to be shot. However I would not be to quick to blame the woman for hitting the panic button and calling 911. That is exactly what I did when we had someone banging on our door last summer.We have a lot of home invasions in our area. In today's world it is just not safe to open the door to unknown persons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I agree, I have had people ring my doorbell at 3 or 4 am and I called the police when they didn't go away after a while. I don't think we should blame the woman or make it sound like she's racist for calling the police.
I didn't mean to imply that the woman was to "blame". I just think she should have asked through the shut door what was the matter and tell the guy she would call the cops and then do so without pulling the panic button. That's what I would have done and then go hide and wait for the cops to show up. What, no panic room? It was all a terrible accident but one that need not have happened IMO if the cop had half a brain. He should get at least involuntary manslaughter IMO.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
Well, I dunno.
The victim was "running toward the policeman"?
That was a mistake too.
Why didn't he walk? He must not have been very badly injured in the accident or he wouldn't be able to run.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Well, I dunno.
The victim was "running toward the policeman"?
That was a mistake too.
Why didn't he walk? He must not have been very badly injured in the accident or he wouldn't be able to run.
Well, if running toward a police office now in any way justified getting shot then we need to disband the police and rethink how they are trained and what purpose they serve.

The way it works now. You run away from them, you get shot. You run toward them, you get shot.

Soon the act of running will get you shot.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
I read the above article. The guy crashes his car. He bangs on the lady's door. She has no idea what is going on and thinks someone is trying to break in (did he say anything while banging?). She calls 911 and relays this to the police. They arrive and have no idea the guy was in a MVA. They try to establish some kind of verbal contact with him. He charges them. They try to taser him. He rushes one officer and the officer shoots the guy. As you read, the officer is being charged with involuntary manslaughter so the system obviously thinks his actions were excessive as well. I can understand how this happen although I may not agree with the outcome and will not "Monday Morning Quarterback" the officer. They were called to the scene of someone trying to break into someone's house, or so they were told by the caller. Apparently the MVA victim did not make himself clear when confronted by the officers or he would not have been tasered/shot. Not to say that he deserved to be shot for that. Was he high? Was he drunk? Is that why he crashed his car. For those of you crying "Racist" the same thing would have probably happened under those circumstances to a white/latino/asian person exhibiting that behavior. But the press probably wouldn't have reported it. They tried to taser him so they tried to use a lower level of force but apparently time or other factors did not permit it. If I were an officer, I would not want ANYONE charging me NO MATTER their skin color especially if I did not know what they were up to. They could get up to me and pull a knife or knock me down and try to pull my gun out of its holster. Not to say that I would have shot them but those scenerios are possibilities.
For you "get down on the pigs" people out there, what would you have the police do? How about let's take their guns away, then there will be no more police shootings, right? If the police don't have guns, they can't shoot anyone, correct? So what if a few hundred police get shot/stabbed/beaten and killed every year, they don't rank as human beings, right? Or let's just eliminate the police department altogether. No cops, no cops to shoot people, right? Education? Some departments require their officers to have a minimum of an associate's degree. When I applied to departments in California decades ago, they required a bachelor's and even a master's degree for employment.
Yes, this shooting IS sad and tragic, no doubt about that. And maybe, after it is reviewed, it will be found that it could have been avoided. Let's hope they all learn something from this. Having lived in NC for 7 years I see "culture" as contributing partially to this and that is from my own personal experiences(and "no", I don't mean the black/white thing either). Lets let the DA, internal affairs and the review board sort this out and not rush to judgement and paint ALL police with a broad brush. The last thing we need is to give justification for those who want nothing more than to injure/kill others.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
He hit the victim 10x (out of 12 shots) so, yeah, I'd say that's excessive.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
"As the officers approached him just to determine it is the individual, what's going on, he just immediately takes off and runs toward a particular officer, and that officer attempted to retreat but at the same the same time fired his weapon," Moore said.

Police had first tried to stop Ferrell by firing a Taser at him, but he kept coming, which was when Officer Randall Kerrick shot him several times, Moore said.
The cop tried to retreat and used non-lethal means first...hardly "trigger happy".

The fact the cop is being charged tells me he was white. If he wasn't there would have been no charges.

Defending yourself against black people trying to harm you is illegal in America now.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Well, if running toward a police office now in any way justified getting shot then we need to disband the police and rethink how they are trained and what purpose they serve.

The way it works now. You run away from them, you get shot. You run toward them, you get shot.

Soon the act of running will get you shot.
Hell, just being the vicinity of a cop will get you shot. Cop had a bad day? You'll get shot. Cop had a great day? You'll get shot. It doesn't matter, cops will shoot anything that moves if given a chance.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
I read that on FB, I too feel appalled at how trigger-happy police has become, it's really scary! And not long after that I read of another cop that shot a man's dog because he was being arrested (just for filming a video of what was happening in the area) and the dog perceived him to be in danger and ran over to check things out, but because he was a rottweiler he was mercilessly shot down in front of his owner, and then the police wouldn't even let him get his body. I'm going to post that on a separate thread.
Yes, the dog was protecting its owner so they didn't know what it might have done. The owner should have restrained his dog. I don't blame the cops on that one.

I have no idea why they shot this guy. Did they order him to the ground? Did they order him to stop? I don't know. I wasn't there. We'll have to wait for the investigation on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies