Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times

Advertisements

Do posters here realize that surgical PAs first assist in major surgery, as can some NPs, even closing patients solo after the main "fix" has been completed? CNMs deliver babies (that is why they exist!) including episiotomy, perineal repair, etc.

I think we have some folks who don't get that Master's level practitioners with thousands of hours of independent or very loosely supervised practice are already doing many procedures. Perhaps you are confusing NP/PA with a mere tech. They are nothing alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:06 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Conservatives aren't the brightest bulb in the bunch.
Seeing posts from both sides, many libs as well on this board suffer from a perpetual dim bulb.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
God I can't wait for the Big One to hit to finally end the insanity created by California....
I know, right? I, too, cannot wait for a natural disaster to strike and kill my fellow Americans.

/sarcasm

Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Killing a tiny baby does not take any real expertise. Very unlike trying to diagnose, treat and/or cure a disease, snuffing out a life is easy.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
It's not much different than Obamacare which allows non medical bureaucrats to make decisions about your health. We may as well have the garbage man decide on the course of treatment even when our life depends on it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Train wreck for women's health care. This won't improve access to care for low income women. It will create dangerous medical procedures performed by staff with no credentials. A nurse? Right. I bet procedures will be done by technicians.

I am pro choice, but this is crazy.
How?
Surgery will not be performed by technicians.
Didn't you say you work in the health field?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Right....I do work in healthcare, which is why I see freight trains run over regulations like this in private clinics, all the time.

Deregulation of health care is not always a good thing. Which is amazing for me to say, because I think health care is over regulated to the point of being not patient oriented, it is corporate oriented to CYA.

But, in a private clinic, the "intent" of this law is for nurse practioners to do the surgical procedures, which I just don't like...because it may lead to no physician over sight. And in clinics where it is all about cash, which abortions are, usually, it is all about the money, and private clinics may cut corners...

Agreed, often NP and tech's do more healthcare work than docs, especially in a busy office. With minimal intervention or supervision by docs, except to sign off on the note, and see a patient for a few minutes.

I just see this as putting women's health care below men's healthcare....think a law will be signed for any surgery on men, like a simple vasectomy, to be done without a doctor?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Good. 99% of the time it is a routine procedure.
Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners, working under the supervision of a physician, are increasingly common in most states.

Techs and CNAs, working under the supervision of an RN, are increasingly common in most hospitals, in most states.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So according to the article this is already allowed in many places all over the country. How does that fit into the whole "crazy CA" equation? I think it's just easier to point than look at your own crap.

Oregon, Montana, Vermont and New Hampshire already allow nurse practitioners to perform abortions. Where was the fake outrage when these states changed their laws?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This. We already foist other responsibilities/low-risk procedures onto NPs and PAs because insurance companies love to pay less for the same service...why should this be any different?

For example, the last "dermatologist" to treat me was a PA who wrote prescriptions for medications that could be fatal if abused. Last time I had stitches, a PA put them in.
Some PAs have larger " within practice" practices than the supervising MD.

My PA is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies