U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2007, 09:16 PM
 
2,770 posts, read 5,350,441 times
Reputation: 734

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
The reason we keep spending money on it is because greedy politicians won't let us win this war, nor will the bleeding heart liberals who would rather see our soldiers dead than Iraqi insurgents. I never quite figured out how enemy propaganda could be used to sentence soldiers to prison? Comments, BBC?
I don't think we can win the war with our current strategy. Our budget can't keep it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 PM
 
86 posts, read 132,968 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I don't think we can win the war with our current strategy. Our budget can't keep it up
I don't think we can either. We need to change our course ASAP. The only problem is there are only two real alternatives, neither end good for Iraq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 09:28 PM
 
2,770 posts, read 5,350,441 times
Reputation: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
I don't think we can either. We need to change our course ASAP. The only problem is there are only two real alternatives, neither end good for Iraq.
Very much agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 PM
 
Location: OKC, OK
640 posts, read 357,571 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
To say that "they hate our freedoms" is once again YOUR opinion. The way I understand it is that they don't want us imposing our culture on them, which is their right. Stay out of their house and they'll stay out of ours. Let them live their lives and we live ours. However, when you have an administration and government seeking to overthrow and control another country because of their resources, then what does that make us

I am American but at the same time, I'm not dumb nor naive.
And your ramblings are YOUR opinion!

They don't want us imposing our culture on them?? How about they STOP imposing their culture on US?!? They are free to GO BACK to a Muslim country. Why do they want to come to icky American anyway if we are so bad?

Your argument is a joke....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 19,434,727 times
Reputation: 6523
Most muslems including the radicals don't hate americans, they don't even hate america... They hate american policies which single them out and ignore others like our allies who do things every bit as questionable as they do.
I happen to believe that Blowback is a real deal. We messed with Iran in the 1950's help to install a brutal dictator everybit as bad as saddam some say worse. Then we wonder why Iran doesn't believe a word we say..
In Vietnam we supported a gov that was corrupt and brutal to its people. Before the war Ho chi asked for US help. We turned him down. He went to Russia and got it.
I hate terrorists and their tactics. I view them as cowardly and overly destructive. Not to mention murderous. That said not all Muslems are terrorists. Most are peace loving people. Much of asia is muslem. Yes they have some terrorists but not on the scale of the middle east.
The problem with the US gov regardless of what party is at the helm is they always feel the need to butt into other peoples business. That is what drives the wedge between the USA and much of the world.
Our blind eye politics in regards to our socalled allies is another.
When Israel attacked the USS Liberty we did nothing, worse we hid that dirty little secret at the expence of her crew. Had Iran done that what would we have done? Remember 28 sailors died. Israel was forced to stop the attack not because it was a US ship but because a Soviet destroyer responded to the Liberty's distress call.... Our ships were ordered to stand down by LBJ.
Our double standards leave us an open target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2007, 10:17 PM
 
2,482 posts, read 8,037,656 times
Reputation: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
And your ramblings are YOUR opinion!

They don't want us imposing our culture on them?? How about they STOP imposing their culture on US?!? They are free to GO BACK to a Muslim country. Why do they want to come to icky American anyway if we are so bad?

Your argument is a joke....
You're hilarious. Just hilarious. Seriously though, take off the tin foil hat and stop being so hostile. I can't imagine it being very good for your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 AM
 
2,967 posts, read 1,756,234 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
[So not true. Why can't christian's just leave us alone. I have a nice sign on my door with a red line through bible thumpers. They still leave crap on my door and knock to talk at me. I tell them that I don't want them there, that they were bothering me. They'll be back next week. Regardless of the sign.

I think many christians are worse than radical islamists.
You think Christians are worse than radical islamists because they want to give you a pamphlet? Now this thought process (or lack thereof) is truly frightening. . .

And BTW why don't you try and put a nice sign on your door w/ a red line through islamic terrorists. See if it keeps them at bay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,396 posts, read 7,062,026 times
Reputation: 1197
Look, people can crawl under the covers and whimper and whine about the radical Islamic boogeymen all they want.

Shall we discuss reality?

The reality is our military is about to run out of troop to send over. The guys going on their 3rd, 4th, 5th tours are starting to crack physically and mentally along with their families...even though nobody "supporting the troops" wants to talk about that. Army desertions are up 80% since the War started. We are sending over grandpas and grandmas, criminals, guys that can't pass the entrance aptritude test, almost any warm body (except gays of course.) Mose military experts agree we can keep this level of troop deployments through no later than springtime.

And as anybody with half a brain could figure out, our ill considered invasion of Iraq has increased the threat to Americans, nor made us safer. Al qaeda is stronger now than ever -because of Iraq. An Iran attack, anyone??


The classified National Intelligence Estimate attributes a more direct role to the Iraq war in fueling radicalism than that presented either in recent White House documents or in a report released Wednesday by the House Intelligence Committee, according to several officials in Washington involved in preparing the assessment or who have read the final document.

Titled “Trends in Global Terrorism: Implications for the United States,’’ it asserts that Islamic radicalism, rather than being in retreat, has metastasized and spread across the globe.
An opening section of the report, “Indicators of the Spread of the Global Jihadist Movement,” cites the Iraq war as a reason for the diffusion of jihad ideology.
The report “says that the Iraq war has made the overall terrorism problem worse,” said one American intelligence official.

“New jihadist networks and cells, sometimes united by little more than their anti-Western agendas, are increasingly likely to emerge,” said Gen. Michael V. Hayden, during a speech in San Antonio in April, the month that the new estimate was completed. “If this trend continues, threats to the U.S. at home and abroad will become more diverse and that could lead to increasing attacks worldwide,” said the general, who was then Mr. Negroponte’s top deputy and is now director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

In early 2005, the National Intelligence Council released a study concluding that Iraq had become the primary training ground for the next generation of terrorists, and that veterans of the Iraq war might ultimately overtake Al Qaeda’s current leadership in the constellation of the global jihad leadership.

More recently, the Council on Global Terrorism, an independent
research group of respected terrorism experts, assigned a grade of “D+” to United States efforts over the past five years to combat Islamic extremism. The council concluded that “there is every sign that radicalization in the Muslim world is spreading rather than shrinking.”



http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/wo...ewanted=2&_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 08:02 AM
 
Location: on a northbound train
477 posts, read 877,053 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
You think Christians are worse than radical islamists because they want to give you a pamphlet? Now this thought process (or lack thereof) is truly frightening. . .

And BTW why don't you try and put a nice sign on your door w/ a red line through islamic terrorists. See if it keeps them at bay!
Now, speaking of lack of thought processes...let's try this one on for size.

You support a shady occupation in Iraq and a bizarre "war" on "terror"... and worry about the big bad terrorists... while at the same time, you are many times more likely to get plowed down by a drunken illegal immigrant on the roadways of America than fall victim to a terrorist attack. And most of these illegals are allowed to waltz into this country by the same administration that you want to have protect you from the "terrorists".

It's all so damn confusing, isn't it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 AM
 
5,767 posts, read 10,287,156 times
Reputation: 3813
Quite frankly, I think it's embarrassing how much we as a society care about Islamic terrorism. In the grand scheme of things, how much damage can that do to a gigantic nation of 300 million people? We are 'living on our knees' at the moment, rather than standing up and saying 'who cares?' to those who seek to terrorize us.

I don't mean to minimize the deaths that HAVE taken place because of Islamist terrorism, but let's be realistic - more people die each decade of some really quite rare diseases than died in the Sept. 11 attacks. When you start talking about spending trillion(s) of tax dollars to wage war against a mideastern nation that may or may not be a 'threat' to the US, you have crossed the threshold into a profound loss of perspective. I don't care how many meetings Mohammed Atta had with Iraqi agents in Prague, or if those meetings happened at all. It's not worth what we have spent as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top