U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2006, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
I just came in here to poke around out of boredom and I'm so late into this conversation but I did read the last few posts. Wow...I can't believe there are that many people who "don't want to live near gays". I'm sorry but why?! I know plenty of women and men that are gay and there's nothing wrong with them. Why are they treated like a plague? Yeah, yeah, yeah AIDS. Big friggin' deal, heterosexual people and drug users catch AIDS. It's not like you can "catch" being gay from your next door neighbor or anything. I do find it hard to explain to my older kids when they ask why someone is gay because quite honestly I don't know if it's as simple as sexual preference or if it's genetics, etc. However, on the otherhand I also don't really care. If a person is a good person than that's what's important. I'd rather live in a gay neighborhood than a ghetto. I also grew up learning that it was "against God" and although I personally do believe that, would I ever stop loving one of my children if they were? Would I ever assume they were going to hell for it? That's a big fat NO. Come on people...there are worse issues in this world than persecuting people for their sexual orientation. How about complaining that you don't want a terrorist living next door? Now that's something worth complaining and arguing about.

Hey, to each his own as far as opinions go, but I think like someone else in here said, we have bigger fish to fry....ScrantonWB, I still love ya!
I agree with you pixie, plus, gay neighbors (male of course, the women pairs tend to like braided rag rugs and throws and don't have the same sophistication in my experience!) are sure to boost your property values. They usually have excellent taste and are meticulous homeowners! I'm Christian, fundamentalist in my beliefs at that, and I don't think God has anything against Gays any more than he has against Heterosexuals who sin. It's not what you intrinsically are that's a problem, it's what you do. I personally think gay people are born gay and have no choice in orientation. There's nothing like a tool-belt wearing, knuckle dragging Home Depot credit card carrying flannel and jeans bulldyke with a flattop to convince one it's genetic. There is just no other possible explanation. God says sin is sin. He doesn't differentiate between gays and straights when it comes to sin. All of us sin and as far as He is concerned, there isn't one of us on this planet who's ever lived except Jesus who lived sin-free. So...those who harp on sexual orientation need to get a grip. Slutty people exist on both sides and either or both are equally repellent in my view.

Last edited by MoMark; 11-03-2006 at 11:38 PM..

 
Old 11-04-2006, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,785,407 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I agree with you pixie, plus, gay neighbors (male of course, the women pairs tend to like braided rag rugs and throws and don't have the same sophistication in my experience!) are sure to boost your property values. They usually have excellent taste and are meticulous homeowners! I'm Christian, fundamentalist in my beliefs at that, and I don't think God has anything against Gays any more than he has against Heterosexuals who sin. It's not what you intrinsically are that's a problem, it's what you do. I personally think gay people are born gay and have no choice in orientation. There's nothing like a tool-belt wearing, knuckle dragging Home Depot credit card carrying flannel and jeans bulldyke with a flattop to convince one it's genetic. There is just no other possible explanation. God says sin is sin. He doesn't differentiate between gays and straights when it comes to sin. All of us sin and as far as He is concerned, there isn't one of us on this planet who's ever lived except Jesus who lived sin-free. So...those who harp on sexual orientation need to get a grip. Slutty people exist on both sides and either or both are equally repellent in my view.
Your last sentence made me crack up...but you're absolutely right. I do also think that you're born that way...the only argument I have to that is that when I started my early 20's a lot of people I know suddenly "decided" that they were gay...then some of them "decided" they weren't. I know that time period was very big with experimentation and that's what confuses me. But I know people who no matter what they do or how they act, they are simply gay....so why hide it? I must also agree with you that sin is sin, period. There aren't many sins that can be considered worse than others (with maybe the exception of murder, rape, infidelity) but again, we were born into sin in the first place. There are many other things I can find to disagree with or complain about other than someone being gay. You are correct in that gay men are meticulous (most of them anyway), they take very good care of themselves and their belongings or property. I know a lesbian couple (friends of my mother-in-law) who are the two funniest, kindest people I ever met...we have a blast with them!! And my sister-in-law's b/f is a gay male. I love him....he will tell us exactly the way he sees it and I totally respect that. Turns out, I find gay people sometimes more pleasant to be around than straight people (and they're usually more honest). So again, I in turn agree with you MoMark!
 
Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,626 posts, read 65,680,831 times
Reputation: 15078
Thank you both, MoMark and Pixie, for making me feel a bit more at ease! However, I still think people are entitled to their opinions. If someone doesn't want to live near me just because of my sexual orientation, then that is totally their opinion and their right. Granted, I personally think they'd be losing out on the opportunity to make a wonderful new friend, but to each his own I suppose.

I just get offended when the "I don't want gays near me" crowd begins to turn into a less-civilized manner with name-calling and assuming we all have AIDS and molest children. I tend to think that THESE people have never even experienced having an openly-gay person in their midst (although I'm sure they're probably friends, neighbors, or collagues with at least one closeted GLBT person).

If someone doesn't want to live near me, then more power to them; just don't go around telling people I'm "unclean." (When in reality I'm a very tidy, well-groomed metrosexual!) LOL!
 
Old 11-04-2006, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Jersey
2,098 posts, read 5,785,407 times
Reputation: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Thank you both, MoMark and Pixie, for making me feel a bit more at ease! However, I still think people are entitled to their opinions. If someone doesn't want to live near me just because of my sexual orientation, then that is totally their opinion and their right. Granted, I personally think they'd be losing out on the opportunity to make a wonderful new friend, but to each his own I suppose.

I just get offended when the "I don't want gays near me" crowd begins to turn into a less-civilized manner with name-calling and assuming we all have AIDS and molest children. I tend to think that THESE people have never even experienced having an openly-gay person in their midst (although I'm sure they're probably friends, neighbors, or collagues with at least one closeted GLBT person).

If someone doesn't want to live near me, then more power to them; just don't go around telling people I'm "unclean." (When in reality I'm a very tidy, well-groomed metrosexual!) LOL!
You should never NOT feel at ease, period. Always have confidence...and don't listen to ignorant people. Besides, statistically more straight men and women (and priests...very sad) molest children...it's not about a "gay thing" it's about being a sicko. I told you before and I'll tell you again, don't ever let anybody make you feel inferior or unworthy of something
 
Old 11-04-2006, 03:54 PM
 
148 posts, read 789,965 times
Reputation: 102
Default Input

If you're young, gay or lesbian, and living in a small, rural, isolated town? Network in your local Republican Party, or join a fundamentalist church. Why move to Los Angeles, or San Francisco? You can wait a few years. I dare say there's more gays and lesbians in the Republican Party and fundamentalist churches than in West Hollywood or The Castro. Maybe not quite as many, but close.

Granted, these gays and lesbians are in the closet, but you'll learn a bit of common sense: polyester is out, hairspray is out, big hair is out, hypocrisy is out, lying is out, the word massage and sex are NOT interchangeable, prostitutes are out, congressional pages are out, living a lie is out, and that public adulation and approval are NOT more important than basic, core values and principles TO YOUR OWN HEART, STAY TRUE.

I don't care who you are: gay, straight, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, Eskimo, rich, poor, young, old, beautiful, ugly, fat, thin, blond, redhead, yuppie, disabled, non-disabled, blue collar, white collar, calling home-- a five million dollar house, calling home--a single wide trailer on wheels---there will always be someone out there in the world who doesn't like you. Always! Always! Always!

Life is tooooooooo short to care what other people think. Diversity is what makes the world so unique.

Z
 
Old 11-04-2006, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Glasgow,Scotland
148 posts, read 366,814 times
Reputation: 75
I can't understand why people don't just get on together. I have friends and collegues that are gay but I also have friends and collegues that are male,female,black,asian,catholic,protestant,anglic an,etc,etc any little label you want to put on someone.Why don't we just take people at face value- you like or don't like,but accept that people are people no matter what
 
Old 11-04-2006, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Glasgow,Scotland
148 posts, read 366,814 times
Reputation: 75
Zelia, you just beat me to the post
 
Old 11-05-2006, 12:01 PM
 
9,716 posts, read 12,948,659 times
Reputation: 3315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelia View Post
If you're young, gay or lesbian, and living in a small, rural, isolated town? Network in your local Republican Party, or join a fundamentalist church. Why move to Los Angeles, or San Francisco? You can wait a few years. I dare say there's more gays and lesbians in the Republican Party and fundamentalist churches than in West Hollywood or The Castro. Maybe not quite as many, but close.
Lately, I've been thinking the same thing. Since the Foley and Haggard "news events," I'm starting to think that those who speak out against homosexuality the most are probably homosexual!

It's quite a world we live in, isn't it?
 
Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 PM
 
Location: In exile, plotting my coup
2,408 posts, read 13,155,436 times
Reputation: 1784
What better way for homosexuals in denial to avoid questioning about their own hidden sexuality than coming out viciously against it? It's the whole "Hey, if I call them f@gs and talk about how disgusting they are all the time, no one will ever suspect anything" school of thought. There's a similar reason behind the high number of gay priests where many closeted gays feel that priesthood will disguise their sexuality as priests are supposed to be asexual. There's a reason why there seems to be a high number of anti-gay politicians and evangelists and such who are secretly doing the deed. I feel horrible for their families, but am disgusted by them.

In my opinion as a straight male, as cliche as it may be to say, I think that if you're comfortable with your own sexuality, you're fine with others' and it's only those who are made uncomfortable by it, by the feelings that it arises within them, who react in anger. I just don't think it's normal for straight men to care one way or the other. Basically, those guys who call you a "f@g" to your face, are the same ones that will check out your ass when you turn around and walk away.
 
Old 11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Has anyone noticed how former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey and Ted Haggard look a lot alike? They both have these weird duck-bill mouths with duck lips...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top