U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:01 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,306,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I'm glad this thread has kept a civil tone. After all, there are web sites devoted to gay real estate (Purple Roofs), advising those who are interested where the gay-friendly cities are in the U.S. Why can't someone inquire politely about just the opposite? It's a lifestyle as well as a sexual orientation, so there are going to be those people who do not care to live in such communities. Just as I have seen other posters very stridently request names of cities that aren't full of very conservative types, or that are overly centered around religion,etc.
"It's a lifestyle"?

I've always wondered what this meant. Please explain.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,536,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Some people don't even want Conservatives living next to them either! Why can't we all just learn to live and let live?
I will live next door to just about anybody, but I don't want to hear their political views, sexual orientation, parental advice or potty training methods....

The military does have a point - don't ask, don't tell.

But I do want to know if my neighbor is a sexual predator, incestual freakazoid, ex-convict and some people do want to live around people that best reflect who they are. I don't care either way, honestly. I am a recluse by nature. All my neighbors know about me is I have three REALLY big dogs that bark when you get to the door. That is about as close we have come to an introduction yet LMAO!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:54 PM

919 posts, read 1,668,006 times
So did anybody ever answer where low population of gays are? JUST KIDDING!

Old 10-13-2006, 08:04 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
So did anybody ever answer where low population of gays are? JUST KIDDING!
Antarctica is reputed to be rather sparse in that category, I think they moved...remember the two male penguins who formed a gay partnership at the Bremerhaven Zoo in Bremen, Germany? The Zoo even brought in four Swedish female penguin beauties...but the male pairs ignored them and continued their relationships Actually, out of five Penguin pairs, it turned out that three of the five pairs were gay penguins who could not be tempted by Scandinavian bird beauties of the opposite sex . On the bright side, their nests were the best in the Penguin neighborhood and showed excellent taste. They also are always well-dressed in evening wear tuxedos Back to the original question...maybe Antarctica isn't the best place to go after all...

Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 PM

311 posts, read 549,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Antarctica is reputed to be rather sparse in that category, I think they moved...remember the two male penguins who formed a gay partnership at the Bremerhaven Zoo in Bremen, Germany? The Zoo even brought in four Swedish female penguin beauties...but the male pairs ignored them and continued their relationships Actually, out of five Penguin pairs, it turned out that three of the five pairs were gay penguins who could not be tempted by Scandinavian bird beauties of the opposite sex . On the bright side, their nests were the best in the Penguin neighborhood and showed excellent taste. They also are always well-dressed in evening wear tuxedos Back to the original question...maybe Antarctica isn't the best place to go after all...
Way to go MoMark! I enjoyed that story!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 AM

1,173 posts, read 5,431,060 times
What you will find are places with populations either in or out of the closet, not where gay people will reside. There are gay people everywhere, all over the world, in every community. Some places are safe enough, some families are safe enough, to come out in, others, most in fact, are not.

You cannot escape gay people any more than you can escape the air.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,151,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
What you will find are places with populations either in or out of the closet, not where gay people will reside. There are gay people everywhere, all over the world, in every community. Some places are safe enough, some families are safe enough, to come out in, others, most in fact, are not.

You cannot escape gay people any more than you can escape the air.
I agree with that. There are gay people in every community from Tennessee to Thailand to Tanzania. I think the original poster most likely realizes that and is rather referring to living in an area with little "gay culture", an area where those who are gay, stay closeted out of fear so therefore, he/she feels they wouldn't have to see or deal with it. I guess we could ask for some clarification from the original poster but they seem to have mysteriously disappeared.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:19 PM

233 posts, read 812,990 times
Default It matters if you are single...

I do not believe being gay is an issue, I think being a single heterosexual is an issue.

If you are unmarried and childless the last thing you would want to do is live in a environment that is highly populated with gays.

I think if you are over 30 years old and already own a house, have husband/wife, and some kids maybe it is easy to think someone fears gays just because they do not want to be in a heavily populated gay area. But, if you are looking to have a traditional family, then it can be very depressing everytime you go out and there is no attraction because the other party is gay.

I will admit, that the media's exposure of men and women on the "down low" has made matters worse. I do feel informed, and no I do not want to be tricked by someone because they are afraid of "coming out".

With that said, I would prefer a low populated gay area. Out of a neighborhood of let's say 100K, I do not want only 5K to be heterosexuals.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:31 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
I do not believe being gay is an issue, I think being a single heterosexual is an issue.

If you are unmarried and childless the last thing you would want to do is live in a environment that is highly populated with gays.

I think if you are over 30 years old and already own a house, have husband/wife, and some kids maybe it is easy to think someone fears gays just because they do not want to be in a heavily populated gay area. But, if you are looking to have a traditional family, then it can be very depressing everytime you go out and there is no attraction because the other party is gay.

I will admit, that the media's exposure of men and women on the "down low" has made matters worse. I do feel informed, and no I do not want to be tricked by someone because they are afraid of "coming out".

With that said, I would prefer a low populated gay area. Out of a neighborhood of let's say 100K, I do not want only 5K to be heterosexuals.

Just my opinion.
I don't think your reasoning is solid. I understand your concerns, but it doesn't really matter where you live or what the percentage of gays are in seeking a mate if you're heterosexual. Gays looking for mates go to places where gays are looking for mates. Heterosexuals do the same thing. And if you're in a relationship with someone who 'tricks' you because he or she doesn't want to come 'out', then your powers of perception need some sharpening! If you're a single woman and hang out in gay bars...chances are you won't find a straight guy. I have a very close friend who's heterosexual, single, desperate to find a male partner, has tried all the dating sites, computer matching sites, gone on blind dates, tried personal ads, etc. She lives in San Francisco (she used to be an employee of mine years ago and we became great friends), has a fantastic personality, great sense of humor, gets depressed that she's still single, yet... she has lived with a gay roommate/best friend whom she moved to SF with from Indianapolis back in 1997, goes with him to parties and events where his friends are, and is now looking for a house in San Francisco they both will purchase and share. I just am not surprised that she's not finding anyone. She's looking in all the wrong places and it has nothing to do with San Francisco, it has everything (in my opinion) to do with her social choices and what she feels comfortable with. Would I ever tell her my true opinion? No!! It's not my business. But she has, whether she acknowledges it or recognizes it or not, chosen gay men to be around her, including her home. I think it doesn't matter where you live. It matters whom you choose to be around you. And the reasons for those choices may be more complicated than appearances convey.

Old 10-14-2006, 05:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,151,352 times
I think there is more of an argument to be made for the opposite. I think that if you are worried about falling in love with a man on the down low, you would be more likely to find such a man in an area with a "low" gay population. As was stated earlier, there are gays everywhere and the areas with "few gays" has more to do with less tolerance for people being openly gay and gay culture. They're still there, just afraid to come out. As such, in communities less accepting of homosexuals, "less gay" if you will, you're more likely to enter into a relationship with a man who is gay but afraid to come out due to the climate of the particular community. In communities like San Francisco and New York where there is a large population of gays and where gays are generally accepted and there is not so much stigma associated with it, men are more likely to come out, and less likely to enter into relationships with women while continuing to be on the down low as they don't risk losing as much by coming out as someone in a small town in the Deep South would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or