Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:00 PM

349 posts, read 422,719 times

Advertisements

If you have something to offer, you are more than welcome to stay. If you don't, then you are just detrimental to society and the economy.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Half of Ellis Island arrivees were turned back. The notion that Somalis have some fundamental right to migrate here is a gross distortion of the Constitution, our history and common sense.

Frankly I'd ban all Muslims from migrating here but we can start with Somalia and Pakistan.
Quote:
Passing Through Ellis Island

Once on the island, immigrants were released from the boat and a physician examined them. People were labeled according to any health issues they appeared to have. For instance, if an immigrant's eye looked infected, the physicians would mark an "e" on their clothing. Those that appeared to have physical or mental disabilities were marked in the same manner. Many of those marked for mental disabilities were given tests, and if they did not pass, they may have been sent back to their home country.
The Receiving Room at Ellis Island

Immigrants are seated in group compartments waiting for inspection (E & F).
At this point they have already passed through two medical inspections.
Those that failed the medical inspections were sent to the detention room (H). (Source)

After the medical exam, immigrants were moved to a registry room where they were evaluated for moral, social and financial status. Immigrants were required to show that they had money, and many were required to prove they had a sponsor already in the United States. If a man had come to America before his family, his wife and children were detained at Ellis Island until he was able to meet them and attest to their status. Single women were not permitted to leave with men that were not family members, and many times these women were married right at Ellis Island to the men that would officially bring them into the U.S.
How does this compare to how immigrants ("legal" anyway...illegals are another story) are admitted or not today? ... I honestly don't know and am curious.

I do know that because the 'rejection rate' was initially high, the 'recruiters' who gathered workers to send to the US and the 'processors' who shipped them, instituted physical, mental, and other checks prior to allowing them to board ships, since 'rejects' were still their responsibity and thus it was cheaper to stop them in Europe rather than send them.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

Half of Ellis Island arrivees were turned back. The notion that Somalis have some fundamental right to migrate here is a gross distortion of the Constitution, our history and common sense.
Actually, about 30% were rejected mostly on the basis of physical deformities, medical issues and/or perceived mental impairments.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

The other day, driving on 4th Ave in Brooklyn, I see a Mexican lady, she looked a bit "off", walking down the Ave, clothes all mismatched holding a McDonalds cup, she then throws the cup right in the street and keeps walking.

I say to myself. Is the type person I want in my country?
How did you know she was Mexican?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Tell me...just why did we need to import tens of thousands of Somalies in the first place? Are there any special skills or job quailifications that they are bringing into this country that we absolutely need here?

If not...just why are they here? The residents of Somalia turned the country into a hellhole of violence, crime and corruption. Why do we need to import that culture into this country? We have enough of that already.
Dems need to turn America into a 3rd world open sewer.. And they need to import voters who will "cast ballots Americans wont cast"

Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Too many of them slipping through the cracks. Just like the Boston Bombers, Russian Mafia, or Middle Eastern Mulas that we allow in. What is Homeland security and all of the other Government LE agencies doing about it?
paint people like you and me and everyone else who sees the problem as "Domestic Terrorists"

Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There are 5 and a half million people in Minnesota. About 25 thousand are Somalian. That's pretty miniscule as a percentage of the population. Their presence offends you THAT much in state where you can probably go months and never see a single Somali?
When they do something, I want you to remember this post...a small group can do a large amount of damage..remember 19 guys? remember what they did?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm opposed to all illegal immigrants, but you're right, I rather have christian hispanics than whack job muslim jihadist(like the boston bombers).
Agreed. Hispanic gangbangers and drug smugglers never killed anyone.

[they're here to work on my lawn...]

Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
paint people like you and me and everyone else who sees the problem as "Domestic Terrorists"
If I remember right good ole fashion Civilians have stopped most of the potential Terrorists like the Shoe bomber. So what the hell are we wasting billions on HLS, the TSA and other Federal Police for?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
If I remember right good ole fashion Civilians have stopped most of the potential Terrorists like the Shoe bomber. So what the hell are we wasting billions on HLS, the TSA and other Federal Police for?
And the underwear bomber came from overseas, so TSA is really just a job program for dumb democrats..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies