Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Mandatory vacation time isn't free either.
Of course. Its money that comes as a cost to your employer, the same way minimum wage or a 401k match does.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM

396 posts, read 364,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper Man View Post
No Vacation Time Mandate by Employer
No Free Healthcare 1776-2013
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave

Spain has all those things.....they are broke. You can renounced your U.S. citizenship and move there and add to their already 30% unemployment.

by the way, if you get paid Minimum Wage, you either an unskilled person or not very educated.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Even back in the day the 70's when it seems everybody did the ubiquitous Europe trip, many Americans wore the Canadian flag on their knapsack.

Many still do.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
while that isnt a bad idea, you do realize that you still pay for it one way or another right?

Quote:
as above you still pay for it one way or another, there is NO such thing as a free lunch. you pay for these things through higher taxes, fewer employees meaning each employee has to do more work in the same allotted time.

Quote:
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
how about we just give everyone the keys to the safe, $20 per hour minimum wage, a free car, free insurance for all, free housing, free clothes, free food, in fact lets just make everything free from now on, and see how far that takes the economy.

if you dont like it in this country, there are plenty of other countries that will take you, just remember that they will actually expect you to produce something to get the "free stuff" you want.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
I can't tell if you're being serious.

Mandatory vacation time is something that we need, granted. But a single payer healthcare system isn't free, anymore than police or roads are free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Of course. Its money that comes as a cost to your employer, the same way minimum wage or a 401k match does.
so whats your logic here?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The average American is a good and upright person...but they are embarrassed because of the poor reputation America has abroad. Recently I hopped on a street car in Toronto...I met and older woman...who was with her daughter and grand daughter...They were three generations of Texans ....wonderful friendly people.. as we got to the core of the city we all went down into the subway and stood on the platform chatting....a stranger approached the older Texan and asked for directions. I interjected and said..."They don't know- they are American tourists".....

The look I got from the grandmother clearly said - Why did you tell her that....She was embarrassed to be identified as an American. I really did not understand why she would be...They were intelligent attractive people....I do have one regret about that short meeting....The daughter was very warm and friendly...She was also the classic Texas beauty and single...
Maybe the look you got was for interjecting into her conversation and not allowing her to answer for herself. It would miff me a little.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
Spain has all those things.....they are broke. You can renounced your U.S. citizenship and move there and add to their already 30% unemployment.

by the way, if you get paid Minimum Wage, you either an unskilled person or not very educated.
We are broke, too. We are just winging it on a scheme right now.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The average American is a good and upright person...but they are embarrassed because of the poor reputation America has abroad. Recently I hopped on a street car in Toronto...I met and older woman...who was with her daughter and grand daughter...They were three generations of Texans ....wonderful friendly people.. as we got to the core of the city we all went down into the subway and stood on the platform chatting....a stranger approached the older Texan and asked for directions. I interjected and said..."They don't know- they are American tourists".....

The look I got from the grandmother clearly said - Why did you tell her that....She was embarrassed to be identified as an American. I really did not understand why she would be...They were intelligent attractive people....I do have one regret about that short meeting....The daughter was very warm and friendly...She was also the classic Texas beauty and single...
did ti ever occur to you that perhaps they had been to toronto before and knew the area? in other words you said things that were NONE of your business to say, and you made assumptions that might not have been true.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
did ti ever occur to you that perhaps they had been to toronto before and knew the area? in other words you said things that were NONE of your business to say, and you made assumptions that might not have been true.
I believe you are wrong....The youngest daughter was living in Toronto studying to be a chef...I am sure it was not the first time they were in Toronto...The question asked by the woman was obscure...Even I who live in the city could not give an answer....It was impossible that the Americans could respond...No....there were no assumptions made...it was the word the phrase "They are Americans" that made grandmas eyes bulge in embarrassment...They just wanted to fit into the Canadian landscape...they were on their way to the museum - They really liked Toronto....Jokingly I asked if they had brought their guns...Grandma smiled and said..."No- we left them at home".... Our conversation lasted almost half an hour....The impression I got was that these Texans wished America was a little more Canadian.

The other thing that came up on it's own regarding law and order...was the fact that Texas executes far to many people....The older woman thought that was something to be ashamed of.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
The Pledge of Allegiance
Low Minimum Wage
No Pay Maternity Leave
This is what you are embarrassed about?

Here's my 5...

• How we continue to repeatedly vote for people with criminal behavior to manage the country
  • Widespread Irresponsibility - in wanting others to provide for your living
  • How we fight our wars - in that we don't go all out to win and get back home
  • The fact that we are being duped into giving up the principles that made us exceptional
  • The breakdown of the two parent nuclear family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies