Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The democratic party is not the same either.. they are so far left , they no longer stand up for the working American. They rather stand for the illegals and gays and not for the rights of the working American. .
This may come as a shock to you but those gays are working Americans.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:56 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Actually social security benefits are determined by place of residence. So, if a same sex couple is legally married, but living in a state where it isn't recognized, they currently do not have access to SS benefits.
There was just a supreme court decision that says otherwise.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:04 PM

577 posts, read 512,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
President Bush made a grave error in endorsing same sex marriage. The republican party is now indistinquishable from the left . I have noticed that lately. The democratic party is not the same either.. they are so far left , they no longer stand up for the working American. They rather stand for the illegals and gays and not for the rights of the working American. The Republican party has been pulled by the far left to the point they have become weak. This country is being destroyed from the inside out . When satan wins , the country and its relationship with its God is destroyed.
The Democratic party hasn't moved further left in their political thoughts, although it may seem that way. The shift was Republicans taking a hard right shift in politics that made Democrates look like they are far left. Most moderates are now withing the Democratic side due to the shift of politics to the right by Republicans. There are still some moderate Republicans, or as they are now called "RINOS", from mainly the North and West.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
There was just a supreme court decision that says otherwise.
The supreme court did not determine social security rules. The current rules go by place of residence, not place of celebration.
Quote:
Now new rules have been published and some claims are being paid:

For retirement-age spouses , the SSA is paying spouse benefits if the couple wedded in a state that performs same-sex marriages, and reside at the time of claiming Social Security in a state that recognizes same-sex marriage.
Same-sex couples await Social Security clarity - MarketWatch

So my legal marriage in DC won't matter when it comes to SS since I reside in Mississippi.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The supreme court did not determine social security rules. The current rules go by place of residence, not place of celebration.

Same-sex couples await Social Security clarity - MarketWatch

So my legal marriage in DC won't matter when it comes to SS since I reside in Mississippi.
Unfortunately I was wrong and that means this issue is not going away soon and we can expect the fighting and debating from state to state to continue { ad extreme nausem} I liked my way better where the gays collected their largesse and the social security trust fund gets depleted sooner then expected. Since gays were not part of the original funding equation. Just think we will have old geezers with signs that say deny gay rights to protect my social security in the future.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Unfortunately I was wrong and that means this issue is not going away soon and we can expect the fighting and debating from state to state to continue { ad extreme nausem} I liked my way better where the gays collected their largesse and the social security trust fund gets depleted sooner then expected. Since gays were not part of the original funding equation. Just think we will have old geezers with signs that say deny gay rights to protect my social security in the future.
We pay into SS too, why shouldn't we be part of the benefits?

In many same sex marriages there is little to no difference in the amount of pay out since both people work, and earn roughly the same income. In my case we would lose, since I have been a stay at home mom for years, and would need to claim my spouses benefits.

So why should my family be treated any different than yours? We pay into the system, we should have the same access to the benefits of the system.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
Yeah, this train wreck will remain closed.

Read this.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies